PDA

View Full Version : Are you planning

Hebs
11-07-2009, 09:00 AM
One BIG summer trip out for your mindees during the summer holidays??

i'm trying to think of something to do as a special treat

kids are
2, 3, 7, 9, 10, and 12 years old

Daftbat
11-07-2009, 09:12 AM
I usually try to arrange a special day out near the end of the summer holidays. Don't know anywhere in your area except The Deep which may still be an idea as i took my duaghter there when she was only about three and she loved it.

Hebs
11-07-2009, 09:16 AM
i'm taking the kids to Seven Stories which is in newcastle and it's all based on childrens books, we are going for the wheres wally week :clapping: (but shhh its more for me than them :laughing: )

me and cher went to the sea life centre and i thought it was a rip off, kids were round it in less than an hour :( so not doing that again.

what is the deep?? i don't think i've heard of that.

i'm also tempted to go to Butterfly world as our theme for the summer is butterflies, but i have a feeling my 7 year old mindee would splat them if they landed on him :blush:

mushpea
11-07-2009, 09:25 AM
we go out to the zoo every week, i take ages 20months, 3yrs,5yrs,6yrs,10yrs and 8yrs. i buy them yearly cards so it actualy works out to be a cheap day out if cause if you go more than twich the ticketts pay for themselves iyswim and thers so much to do we can never get round it all in two goes, plus theres plenty of parks and an indoor soft play bit aswell.
the rest of the hols we go to parks, libary, woodlands, beach stuff like that

Hebs
11-07-2009, 09:43 AM
oooooohhhh

woodlands

never thought of doing that with a lo, but she's a confident walker now so no need to take the buggy :thumbsup: thanks :D

mushpea
11-07-2009, 11:38 AM
oooooohhhh

woodlands

never thought of doing that with a lo, but she's a confident walker now so no need to take the buggy :thumbsup: thanks :D

yep they all love this one,first time i took the 'newbie' he said as we arrived 'is this it' and wasnt too impressed but by the time we got back to the car he was loving it, he had become obi one canobie with a lightsaber (stick), then a pirate then knight, we found loads of minin beasts, saw a swarm of bees and loads of lovley flowers which he wasnt impressed with but the girls where. we also take the dog sometimes too which they think is great cause they throw sticks and chase him then play a game of guess where hes gone cause he picks his own rout through the woods , (ares are very quiet woods).

childmind04
11-07-2009, 12:10 PM
We have at least one planned outing every week in hols, some places for you are Rising sun = metro to palmersville, sunderland winter gardens again metro, hancock museum is now free so a must, alongside discovery museum again metro :)

One which is a bit longer for you if using public transport is Blyth park fab water feature there, and one i have done is york to the railway museum, kids under 5 dont need train ticket so at the time i only paid £21 return for a fab day out :)

Gateshead flower show is a nice day out and then come and visit us at allotment, again longbenton metro :)

Segadunum(sp) is free for kids and i think about £4 for adults and has loads of activity days on wallsend metro

Can you see i use the metro a lot in holidays :)

Susan

madasahatter
11-07-2009, 12:49 PM
We tend to do one (bigger) outing a week which will cost (though looking to go to a few national trust places on the Walkers Great trip points). We also go on lots of local 'free' trips (except for mileage).
It all depends on the number of children I've got on a given day. In the hols I vary between 4 and 7 kids (including DS aged 12). I've only got one little one regularly in the hols. All my other littlies are teachers children, so term time only, which means I can do lots of thimgs geared at older children. Though because all my teachers' children are small, I've booked them in for one morning a week so that my face remains familiar for the babies, especially the one that will be starting full time in september.

Hebs
11-07-2009, 02:17 PM
whats rising sun? is it a country park??

never been to sunderland winter gardens either

helenlc
11-07-2009, 09:41 PM
I have organised for a few local childminders to get together once a week every week.

We are alternating between a further away/bigger outing and then just a local park on the other weeks.

The first one is to Tonbridge Park and I will have my own 11 and 9 yr old children plus 9 yr old, 4 yr old twins and 3 yr old mindee. I am quite looking forward to them.

Other days we will just do the garden, local park, free activities at the library etc.

Pipsqueak
11-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I am hoping to take them to Lightwater valley or Forbidden Corner.

We are going to sit down next week and talk about some special trips out -
so far these are the suggestions:

Scotland and London (errrm too far) from I and James
Australia - I (who has a bee in her bonnett about Oz)
The Beach
Preston Park (again)
Life
Sea Life - any
The Park - any
Seven Stories
Locomotion in Shildon
Australia (again from I)
Go to see my Mum near Eastbourne - E's suggestion - too far lol
McDonalds (I am quite liking this one)

Hebs
11-07-2009, 09:54 PM
never been to preston park but will be going,

seven stories is one of my fave places :D

and i'm taking anastasiya to the forbidden corner on the 23rd july :thumbsup: have never been before but heard its fab

Pipsqueak
11-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Preston park is lovely - get there early, take a picnic and hope for lovely weather. If you are going might try and meet you there perhaps?
The Butterfly World bit is expensive but easily avoided, when you go into the big house (its not expensive) its a lovely walk through. The River is great to go and have your picnic by. It can get rather busy though.

Forbidden Corner is one of our favs - take some spare shoes/socks. Depending on what time your alloted entry time is try to go early and have your picnic in the gardens and explore them as well. The little village is smashing too and we keep meeting to set aside time to explore it properly.

cher25
11-07-2009, 10:46 PM
We have at least one planned outing every week in hols, some places for you are Rising sun = metro to palmersville, sunderland winter gardens again metro, hancock museum is now free so a must, alongside discovery museum again metro :)

One which is a bit longer for you if using public transport is Blyth park fab water feature there, and one i have done is york to the railway museum, kids under 5 dont need train ticket so at the time i only paid £21 return for a fab day out :)

Gateshead flower show is a nice day out and then come and visit us at allotment, again longbenton metro :)

Segadunum(sp) is free for kids and i think about £4 for adults and has loads of activity days on wallsend metro

Can you see i use the metro a lot in holidays :)

Susan

I had forgot about the museums. Been wanting to go for ages though. lol Some great ideas, there Susan.
Hebs is right though, the blue reef was rubbish!

cher25
11-07-2009, 10:50 PM
whats rising sun? is it a country park??

never been to sunderland winter gardens either

Rising sun is a country park near me! There's another day out to plan for. M loved it when i went last year. :)

childmind04
12-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Cher did you get th cm newsletter, i have booked on for the day out there, its usually a lovely day and i can meet up with you if you want??

Hebs
12-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Preston park is lovely - get there early, take a picnic and hope for lovely weather. If you are going might try and meet you there perhaps?

Yeah that would be great, maybe have a mini meet for the local minders mid holidays :laughing: save our sanity :thumbsup:

Butterfly world is really for me :blush: i've never been but my kids have and our theme for August is catterpillars and butterflys and lifecycles :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
12-07-2009, 05:15 PM
End of term we are going to an indoor play area as I will be loosing the big girls from the end of the hols.

Museum is a dinosaur theme and craft activities every Monday. Burghley House Garden of Suprises, fantastic water play area, very safe place for them to get soaked! I want to take them on the train to York Railway museum, about an hours trip, I think parents will be fine about it as they will be back later than normal! Network trip to Stanwick Lakes planned for August.

Usual trips to park, other minders and walks etc...before I finish in September.

cher25
12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Cher did you get th cm newsletter, i have booked on for the day out there, its usually a lovely day and i can meet up with you if you want??

Yeah i got the newsletter. Will have another look through and maybe try and book. Would be nice to meet you. :)