PDA

View Full Version : Mum who wanted to pay!

TheBTeam
10-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I met a lady this week looking for 4months temporary care for a 4.5 year old boy, she originally wanted full time care and i quoted £4 per hour

When she came to visit we agreed that child would be part time and i required £4.50 per hour but I needed a day off as hol booked in the first week of contract and then the following week is bank hol!

Well today she has emailed and wants to pay for my days hol in the first week and the bank holiday!

Well what did i do, i went and told her that she really did not need to pay me for those days!!

Why are the decent ones just temporary, i wouldn't wish anything bad to happen to the childminder who is having them when she has had her baby, but this lady has said that she would have been happy to use me for both children if she had found me first and not committed to the other lady!

The Juggler
12-07-2009, 03:02 PM
I know what you mean! I had parents who I was doing school holiday cover for when I could. Then, in June, I told them I could offer them 2 days holiday cover from September as part of our contract as I now had space.

They then insisted as I'd been doing it ad-hoc anyway that they wanted to pay me for my 4 days off during August even though they didnt need to. I had 2 children so it amounted to £200. I told them they didn't need to bu tthey insisted.

how generous is that!!!!!!!

nannymcflea
12-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Tell her that if it doesn't work out during the settling in period you would be happy to take them. I don't think you have to give notice if it doesn't work out during this time so she wouldn't be out of pocket.

OR if it's a retainer she has payed could you mind for a while cheaper for her so she doesn't loose too much and you get to keep them?

The Juggler
12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Tell her that if it doesn't work out during the settling in period you would be happy to take them. I don't think you have to give notice if it doesn't work out during this time so she wouldn't be out of pocket.

OR if it's a retainer she has payed could you mind for a while cheaper for her so she doesn't loose too much and you get to keep them?

depends on whether this lady is local, lovely as the job would be wouldn't do you any favours with other local minders if they found out you had encouraged her to do this.

nannymcflea
12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
depends on whether this lady is local, lovely as the job would be wouldn't do you any favours with other local minders if they found out you had encouraged her to do this.

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you should be poaching from colleagues or friends, what I meant was that after 4 months if they were settled it would be a wrench to expect them to settle somewhere else and if they didn't settle at a new cm or she wasn't happy then could you help her out a bit financially?

The Juggler
13-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you should be poaching from colleagues or friends, what I meant was that after 4 months if they were settled it would be a wrench to expect them to settle somewhere else and if they didn't settle at a new cm or she wasn't happy then could you help her out a bit financially?

absolutely, yes just tell her you would love to have little one if she needs help in the future then I'm sure if things don't work out she will contact you.