PDA

View Full Version : my leavers learning journey

mabel
10-07-2009, 06:41 AM
It is my little 4 year old's last day today as he goes school in Sept.

what do I do with his learning journey

do I give a copy to mum ?

do I give a copy to his new teacher ?

I want someone to look at it as I have worked so hard on it !

sarah707
10-07-2009, 06:48 AM
You give it to mum and ask that she passes it on for the next setting to look at.

Ofsted won't be interested once children have left.

Sort out a file with his attendance records, accident forms, contracts etc etc to keep securely for 21 years and 6 months.

Hope today goes ok! I always get a bit emotional :o

georgie456
10-07-2009, 07:40 AM
I will be devastated when I have to hand over learning journey's - they have been a labour of love for me!!!!

mabel
10-07-2009, 08:29 AM
he is not actually leaving me.
Back in Sept.
I have just seen his teacher to be and asked her if she wanted
to look at his learning Journey (school closes today)

she looked at me so blankly You what ???!!!

I then said I have had the boy full time and probbaly know him better
than anyone (he has done a few hours at pre school recently so has
a small learning journey from them)

Then the teacher said Wow that would be brilliant, I never knew
childminders did that sort of thing but would love to see it,
so presumably I let her have a read of it.

singlewiththree
10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
If he is back in Sept then you haven't finished his learning journey as EYFS is until the end of reception year.

Andrea08
10-07-2009, 11:40 AM
If he is back in Sept then you haven't finished his learning journey as EYFS is until the end of reception year.

just what i was going to say,,, but still let the new teacher have a look but make sure you get it back till he leaves you for full time school x x

i always cry when my mindees leave (((Huggs))) all round x x x

rickysmiths
10-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I would take a copy and give to Mum, I have recently met a minder on the forum and have haerd from others who have recently been inspected and Ofsted are saying that we have to keep the childrens Learning journeys for 5yrs after they have left us. :eek:

I had been planning to keep a copy so that if a child left me between inspections and I didn't happen to have one of that age at the time of my next inspection at least I would have evidence of how I work with a specfic age group IYSWIM !

MissTinkerbell
10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I would take a copy and give to Mum, I have recently met a minder on the forum and have haerd from others who have recently been inspected and Ofsted are saying that we have to keep the childrens Learning journeys for 5yrs after they have left us. :eek:

I had been planning to keep a copy so that if a child left me between inspections and I didn't happen to have one of that age at the time of my next inspection at least I would have evidence of how I work with a specfic age group IYSWIM !

Oh thats just silly. Schools don't keep that info, stuff just gets passed onto next teacher and then very often gets sent honme to parents or stuffed in the back of a cupboard and forgotten about.

And where precisely am I supposed to store these learning journeys? Plus I don't have copies of most of it as they are the children's artwork and stuff. I don't need to keep one for Ofsted as my own children do exactly the same as minded child and their 'learning journeys' are almost as detailed.

Trouble
10-07-2009, 01:46 PM
i always think that it would be nice if the next setting filled in there bit and so on so that mum one day will have a very nice book:D

Chimps Childminding
10-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I was planning on giving the learning journey to the child once they had reached the end of the EYFS - why would we need to keep them for 5 years after they have left :confused: Surely as long as we have kept other information that we are REQUIRED to keep, the learning journeys should go to the parents/children to keep as a record of their time with us! :thumbsup: Mine each have an A4 folder - I could end up with cupboards full :panic:

mabel
10-07-2009, 03:13 PM
well I have done two copies (I photographed all his work so that I could
include it) one has gone to the school which I will get back when he goes in sept and I have done one for his mum.

In the teachers one, I added a comments pages and also asked if there
was any other way she wanted me to support him.

I was pleased to see mine looked better than his pre school one !

jeanybeany
11-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I thought the learning journeys belonged to the child and their parents, so why would we need to keep them for 5 years afterwards :confused:

sarah707
11-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I've never heard that one!

I was always under the impression that they should be passed to parents...

Hmmm I wonder if you could get it in writing please Ricky? :D