PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Health coming tomorrow and I really havent done anything <gulp>

gigglinggoblin
09-07-2009, 05:05 PM
How much trouble am I in? I have a fridge thermometer and a list of what needs cleaning daily, weekly or monthly but I havent been recording anything, I just havent got round to it.

Also I just use a carrier bag on the back of the door as a bin so its uncovered but chnged at least once a day and only 'clean' rubbish goes in (no nappies), do you think this will be a problem?

sarah707
09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
You must have a lidded bin for any rubbish or it's a hazard... it should be on your RA anyway as you must protect children from carrier bags, that's in the Eyfs.

Can you make up a little fridge / freezer temp chart and laminate it? Then you can fill it in for the week and rub it off... I know it's better to keep temps for 3 months before throwing them away (so food can be traced back if there's sickness) but for now that would be better than nothing.

Hth :D

gigglinggoblin
09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Kitchen isnt registered so havent done a risk assessment. Is it just a hazard to the kids or for env health?

Fab idea about the laminated thing, do you think I should fill in for the last week? I know its been 3 degrees all week, I have been checking it

sarah707
09-07-2009, 05:41 PM
It's still a hazard if children can get in... or go through it to get somewhere else... that kind of scenario.

The EHO will look at it from the point of view of potential spills if a bag breaks (you saying you only put clean waste in won't wash)... or from the view of flies in the summer, those kinds of things. So I'd definitely sack it when they are there!!

I'd just show a week and say you rub off each week. They will probably give you a copy of safer food better business or something similar and suggest you keep temps using that paperwork every day. At least by doing something you're showing initiative and compliance.

:D

mushpea
09-07-2009, 05:58 PM
me too!!!!!!!!!
luckily had no kids today during school hours so have been cleaning for most of the day:eek:
this website is quite helpful www.eatwell.gov.uk , have just been reading up and checking that i am doing things right cause although i know i am it makes me nervous her comming cause its my first ever check.
i am worried she wil say i cant do hot meals anymore and that this will put people off comming here, most of mine dont leave utill 6pm and to then go home and have dinner is quite late for them.
if they say you cant do hot dinners can you still do things like cheese on toast and beans on toast or is this classed as a hot meal and will i still be able to do cooking with the children like cakes etc.

gigglinggoblin
09-07-2009, 06:41 PM
hmm, cant think of anywhere to get one of thos carrier lids in town, could I say I am waiting for it to come from mail order? Although it might be better in a cupboard so you have to open a door, that would be easy to arrange and I assume would be ok as you woud have to open the cupboard to get to it. Not a food cupboard, obviously. Prob the one under the sink with the cleaning stuff. Kids cant really get to it as to go through the kitchen the back door would be tied open so they cant get to the cupboards and then it would be out of reach still.

Right will get fridge temp chart sorted tonight.

Thanks very much for the advice :)

Helen79
09-07-2009, 06:43 PM
When I had my inspection he barely looked in the kitchen, didn't ask about the bin (which didn't have it's lid on!), didn't look in the fridge.
I got 4stars for mine, didn't get 5 due to not having a coshh form
I don't have cleaning rotas. I clean as and when it's needed :blush:

He asked about the fridge temp which at the time I only recorded once a week (even though I checked daily) he suggested that I record it daily.

I wouldn't have thought they'd tell you that you couldn't cook hot meals unless you'd bean on 'how clean is your house' lol

mushpea
09-07-2009, 09:43 PM
thanks i feel better now, althoug i neither have a cleaning rota or record temps, i check it each day but dont write it down, if i get a low score can i ask to be rechecked once i have done what they ask?

gigglinggoblin
09-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I like that post Helen, thank you! Have just spent 10 mins googling for coshh stuff and have now given up, its not going to happen before tomorrow so I will have to do without.

Thanks so much for the help everyone, feeling a bit better now.

Good luck mushpea, will compare notes tomorrow! Hope you get a nice inspector :)

Helen79
09-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I like that post Helen, thank you! Have just spent 10 mins googling for coshh stuff and have now given up, its not going to happen before tomorrow so I will have to do without.

Sorry didn't mean to panic you, I don't think we're meant to have it, they sent me a form after the inspection to fill out about it.

Good luck tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

gigglinggoblin
09-07-2009, 10:46 PM
No, I want to know! No panic at all about it, just thought it would be nice if I could pull one off the internet easily but alas it is not to be! I really appreciate the help, thank you :)

gigglinggoblin
10-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Well I passed but he was really thorough, he was here over an hour and checked all my cupboards were clean, fridge was clean, asked loads of questions about how I did things but did give advice and was nice. Glad its over!

mushpea
10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Well I passed but he was really thorough, he was here over an hour and checked all my cupboards were clean, fridge was clean, asked loads of questions about how I did things but did give advice and was nice. Glad its over!

oh gosh poor you, my lady was lovley, here about 15mins, quick look in the fridge then told me i need plastic not wooden chopping boards but that was it . didnt look in my cupboard or ask many questions, didn even ask me about fridge temps but told me insted. the way she was talking she thought it wasnt neccesary that we register as food buisness (even thoug we have to by law) she seemed to think we should be left to get on with it.
must be like ofsted then, different in different areas.:rolleyes:

gigglinggoblin
11-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Yes it must be, mine was a zillion miles away from that! He did sign off as a senior EHO so maybe being senior means you have to do it all right!

He said he was concerned that I didnt have a second downstairs sink for handwashing but he wouldnt make me put in another as my kitchen was too small - got the impression if I had room he would have insisted, got a bit of a lecture about disinfecting sink before washing hands and he is coming back in September as I have a few tiles missing near the back door (not near food prep area) which must be replaced and he has to check.

He was nice, he was just very professional but I wouldnt want to do it every day

manjay
11-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Glad it went well for both of you. I amazed (well maybe not!) of the inconsistencies of each of your visits. I have not been lucky enough to have one yet but I was aware from our food hygiene that some would expect you to have a handwashing sink:panic:

mushpea
11-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Glad it went well for both of you. I amazed (well maybe not!) of the inconsistencies of each of your visits. I have not been lucky enough to have one yet but I was aware from our food hygiene that some would expect you to have a handwashing sink:panic:

she did mention this but told i her i used the sink in the downstairs toilet which she was fine with