PDA

View Full Version : Charging for absence through swine flu?

Mouse
09-07-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm just doing an updated policy and wondered what people are charging if children are off because of swine flu.

Now that it's all about treatment, not containment, I'm thinking of different scenarios.

If I'm ill there will be no fee.
If the mindee is ill it'll be full fee.
If one mindee has it & other parents decide to keep their child off, full fee.

What if a member of my family is ill, but I'm still able to work? Would any of you still accept children? If you were willing to, but the parents didn't bring them, what would you charge? If a family member had it & you didn't work, presumably it would be no fee.

What if a mindee's family had it, mindee is well, but other parents want mindee excluded. What would you charge then?

I want to be fair about it, cause as little disruption as possible, but also don't want to find I'm losing money when I'm well enough to work.

Daftbat
09-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't understand why everyone is thinking of this swine flu as anything different from any other illnesses.

Your contracts will state what you are to charge for absence due to illness and/or mindee being ill or not attending.

Mine is just as normal - full fee if mindee ill but i am working
No fee if i am not able to work.

Hebs
09-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't understand why everyone is thinking of this swine flu as anything different from any other illnesses.

because people DO think this is different, even if it's no different to normal flu, it's still serious :thumbsup:

TBH if a parent isn't happy about sending their child cos another mindee is related to someone who has swine flu then it's their decision not to send so full fee,

but how wold they know? do we need to inform all parents if anyone in our care is related to a sufferer??

RainbowMum
13-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Only just read this one - I am asking parents to sign an ammended short term policy as I am asking them not to bring their childern if they show any sign of illness and it is highly likely that they will only have a cold - I am also going to close if any member of my family is coming down with something - It should be apparent after a couple of days if it its Flu or not, to this effect I want parents to pay me half fee if I am closed (normally no fee) but I will only ask for half fee from them if they are absent (normally full fee) I hope this way to avoid speading it if we do get it.

As for working when some one else in the house hold has it - no I would not work and I would expect parents to pay the half fee if they have agreed to it. I would not want to work as I would want to be available to care for the sick person and as a parent I would not send my child into a house where some one had it.

Pauline
16-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I agree with Penny, as regards your charges, it is the same as any other illness and depends what your 'charges for absence' states.

If you charge when the services is open but not used due to illness, holidays etc. then you should do the same if the child is off with any swine flu related absence.

If you are not able to work because you have swine flu then it is the same charge as if you were ill with anything else.

FizzysFriends
16-07-2009, 05:00 PM
My charges are as they always are, I can't see the need to change due to swine flu.

My charges are full fee if mindee doesn't come because they are ill
No charges if I close due to me or DD being ill.

peanuts
16-07-2009, 05:06 PM
this strain is just a little different, this year it is so hyped up, every year they have a new name for the flu, its just the flu.
check your contract for your illness clause.

its only the flu

Can you tell i'm getting a little fed up of the hype

Mouse
16-07-2009, 06:58 PM
After I thought about it I realised I'd treat it no differently to any other illness. I think I was concerned about staying open if any of my family get it, but parents not wanting to bring their children.

I have sent them a letter referring to my current policy & stating that the only time I will close is if I get it, or if I'm told to close.
I have a large family & if I closed while it worked its way through all of us, it could take weeks!

Thanks for your replies.