View Full Version : variation

Noodles
18-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi there i am new to forum hope someone can help

i am registered for 3 undre 5s at the mo with 1 under 1

At present i have

my own daughter who is 3 and at nursery in the morning

another 3 year old who is at nursery in the afternoon
so basically only one at time apart from a 20minute overlap.

I have received a call today from a lady who has 2 children aged 10 months and 2years 6 mth who she cannot find a minder for.

What do you think the chances are that ofsted will grant me another under 5 space so i can take these 2 on.

I would have them all in school holidays and also a wednesday afternoon.

any help greatly appreciated
thanks
carol

Banana
18-02-2008, 10:35 PM
You could try but TBH its usually only granted for continuity of care or for siblings.

Otherwise all minders would be applying for extensions to have more children.

As I said you can try but unless its for an existing child to extend their hours etc I wouldnt be too hopeful.

Maybe someone else has different advice though

xxxxxx

Tatia
20-02-2008, 10:46 AM
It sounds like, except for that 20 minute overlap, you would only have 3 under 5 at one time. I think you are in the same boat as me. My registration says I can have 2 under 5 because my daughter is the third place. However, because she is at nursery every morning, I have been granted permission by OFSTED to have another child in that time slot. Luckily for me, his mother works mornings at a playgroup so their times do not overlap at all.

All you can do is put it into writing to OFSTED, explaining in detail what your request is. I'm not sure how they'll look at that 20 minute overlap in which you would have 4 under 5s but all you can do is ask. Give them as much detail as you possibly can about how you will care for those children, including things like double buggies (if you are doing a nursery pick-up), reins, how far from your home you are likely to be walking.

Good luck!

Sarsar3NCH
20-02-2008, 11:23 AM
If you want to apply for this variation, you could word it that you have one of them already or have had in the past and that now there are two of them mum wants you to have both. I know this is probably strictly not true but Ofsted would not know that or need to know.

Others may disagree with being slightly dishonest, but Ofsted can be so difficult to deal with sometimes that I find you have to bend the rules occasionally.

Sarah

miss muffit
20-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi I would just ask "slightly dishonest" who would know!!!!! K :) :) :)

Noodles
20-02-2008, 12:52 PM
If you want to apply for this variation, you could word it that you have one of them already or have had in the past and that now there are two of them mum wants you to have both. I know this is probably strictly not true but Ofsted would not know that or need to know.

Others may disagree with being slightly dishonest, but Ofsted can be so difficult to deal with sometimes that I find you have to bend the rules occasionally.

Sarah

thanks for your replies i had thought of what you said about saying i have had one of them already. its just so annoying at the mo i am desperate for more children and all the calls i am getting is for more than 1 sibling.
I had a call yesterday for 3 days a week for a little girl of 2 starting now and then her twin brother and sister starting in sept . By sept i will only have my own daughter who will be 4 and is at nursery 5 half days which would mean i will still be over my numbers but i have asked her to come and see me as we may be able to sort something out.
So fingers crossed she is coming on Friday :)

Monkey1
20-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi I would just ask "slightly dishonest" who would know!!!!! K :) :) :)

Ofsted would find out as there is always someone ready to trip you up

sarah707
21-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Ofsted would find out as there is always someone ready to trip you up

Oh yes! I totally agree... I am not in any way having a go at you miss muffett but having been on the receiving end of a totally malicious complaint last year, I would say that every single thing you do where Ofsed are involved has to be totally right in this day and age :D

miffy
21-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Oh yes! I totally agree... I am not in any way having a go at you miss muffett but having been on the receiving end of a totally malicious complaint last year, I would say that every single thing you do where Ofsed are involved has to be totally right in this day and age :D

I think there are several other members who would also agree with that having had malicious complaints made against them

Miffy xx

berkschick
21-02-2008, 08:58 AM
thanks for your replies i had thought of what you said about saying i have had one of them already. its just so annoying at the mo i am desperate for more children and all the calls i am getting is for more than 1 sibling.
I had a call yesterday for 3 days a week for a little girl of 2 starting now and then her twin brother and sister starting in sept . By sept i will only have my own daughter who will be 4 and is at nursery 5 half days which would mean i will still be over my numbers but i have asked her to come and see me as we may be able to sort something out.
So fingers crossed she is coming on Friday :)

You would be in with a chance of getting a variation in September because the twins are siblings of the LO you would already be looking after so it would be classed as continuation of care. But you would have to make it clear that Mum would have to move LO from your care if you were unable to look after the twins.

Noodles
21-02-2008, 09:48 AM
You would be in with a chance of getting a variation in September because the twins are siblings of the LO you would already be looking after so it would be classed as continuation of care. But you would have to make it clear that Mum would have to move LO from your care if you were unable to look after the twins.

yeh i thought that. she is coming tomorrow whith the children so i will see how it goes and explain everything to her :)