PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Debster
09-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I had my inspection a few weeks ago and she pulled me up on a stupid error on my behalf. When I filled in a accident report for a injury a child had caused to another I had wrote x has a bruise and in the explanation of how it happened I said x had bitten him the inspector said I should not name names as it could cause conflict between parents and could compromise a child confidentiality didn't think at the time and have spoke to many other minders since who have made my mistake. The Question I have is when you keep a diary for parents do you put other childrens names for example tom played dolls with jane today or tom plays well with jane also in observations of a child interacting with another would you name names I have a observation of my mindee playing with some other children and it has a photo of him with the children and it refers to other children he interacted with the inspector never pulled me up on this but should I not be doing that either sorry to waffle.
Debbie

mrs c
09-07-2009, 04:30 PM
For diaries I put names. If parents keep these to look back on then its nice to have a name to help them remember who their child played with.

sarah707
09-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't put other children's names on anything any more apart from when it is siblings.

I've heard one too many stories like yours I'm afraid. :(

Debster
10-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Thankyou Sarah I think I will do the same from now on.Better to be safe than sorry.
Debbie

Tatjana
12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
The learning journal that preschool keeps on my ds has names mentioned in nearly every observation.

xx

sophiestars
13-07-2009, 09:36 PM
In their diaries I can't see the problem of putting other children's names eg billy and jim built a train track together. If you put billy built a train track with another child they will probably know it's jim anyway especially if you don't have many mindees. My parents like the fact that my mindees are becoming friends with each other and like to hear about what they have been doing together.

I can understand about not mentioning names in accident/incident records (even though with things like biting the parents can probably work out for themselves who did it - especially if the child can talk they will spill the beans straight away!) I think all this pc stuff goes a bit far though.:rolleyes:

It's a small world
28-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I have written my childrens names in my mindees dairy is that wrong????

sarah707
29-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I have written my childrens names in my mindees dairy is that wrong????

Your own children's names...? I would say that is fine.

If it is something a little negative I would usually write ...

John struggled with keeping his hands and feet to himself when playing with Jane (his sister) today so we spent a lot of time re-focussing on our positive behaviour goals that we wrote together...

OR John kicked Jack (my child) when in the garden and Jack has a bruise on his leg. I spoke to John and we etc etc...

I write like that because it is immediately obvious to Ofsted who is involved.

However if I am talking about 2 or more children playing, in my written stuff I would say 'another child'... when talking verbally to the parents I would say that their child is forming lovely friendships with Jane ...

Plus of course if you are only caring for 2 children, then it's obvious to the parents who the biter is!! I think Ofsted forget that sometimes :rolleyes:

Hth :D