PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone left thier local network?

Tired
09-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I now there are always lots of posts asking how to join and become accredited, but has anyone ever left the network?

I am increasing tired of going to training and meetings. We are made to feel like we are letting the DO down if we can't go, and we actually have to give reasons why we cant attend a meeting.

I have been accredited for 2 years and not got any extra business from it. One existing child used the funding, so parents got free care, but I only got 50p an hour more than i would have done, as they had no intention of leaving, it was just a bonus to them.

After all the training I have done I still got the same ofsted grading as 3 years ago, so really cant see how this is benefiting me.
can anyone advise me?

Curly Quavers
09-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I have no experience on this, but from what you said it seems to have no benefit and it is making you feel rubbish I would just JACK :thumbsup:

life is to short make your self happy

aly
09-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I know how you feel. there was 3 of us going through together [im still not through yet] but 1 girl couldn't go because her husband worked shifts and usually went into the evening on a weds, which was when our meetings were...but she was made to feel guilty as she had no-one for her kids.

ALso she had a bit of bad news where her grandfather had died so obviously upset etc so didnt make a meeting and was tld by our CDO thast she was missing a lot of work [obvious] but when you have a loss network is not on your priority list.

The other one is through but due her baby soon so may give up after aug anyway but who knows.

xx

aly
09-07-2009, 11:24 AM
another thing, the nursery i pick my son from there is a network cm there and has not been asked to do any work for them even though she has been on the network quite a long time. the friend thats due her baby has had a lot of work from the same CDO AND SHE HAS ONLY JUST GOT THROUGH to network...all strange!

Blaze
09-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm thinking of leaving mine (they are trying to kick me off anyway as I've taken a full year's maternity...not the 6 months they allow)...in the last year a few local minders have joined & it's really lowered the tone of the network & I have had prospective parents comment that they don't rate network minders as they've seen other minders (talking about them)they wouldn't leave their rubbish with...so I feel I'm getting tarred IYSWIM...sorry not much help to you...I'm sure it should be in your paperwork though!

nannymcflea
09-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Thats such a shame, a network should be there to support you. Ours is great and we have a big say as to how it works, training that is supplied etc. Have you spoke to the NCMA regarding it's running?

manjay
09-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I now there are always lots of posts asking how to join and become accredited, but has anyone ever left the network?

I am increasing tired of going to training and meetings. We are made to feel like we are letting the DO down if we can't go, and we actually have to give reasons why we cant attend a meeting.

I have been accredited for 2 years and not got any extra business from it. One existing child used the funding, so parents got free care, but I only got 50p an hour more than i would have done, as they had no intention of leaving, it was just a bonus to them.

After all the training I have done I still got the same ofsted grading as 3 years ago, so really cant see how this is benefiting me.
can anyone advise me?

Gosh, you sound just like your name;)

I guess what I would say is that if you are not happy being a member any more then now is probably the time to leave. I am in the process of joining our local community network for ME because it is what I want to do. I suppose I am fairly new to minding and have received very little training in the time I have been registered. The training budget that is given to our local NCMA is now having to be spent on getting new childminders through their ICP (as the WAG funding has been withdrawn) and so there is little left to offer much else. Our network has quite a healthy budget and teams together with neighbouring counties to provide excellent training opportunities. I am aware what I am signing up for and how many CPD hours I have to put in and if it wasn't what I wanted I would leave.

Mouse
09-07-2009, 01:36 PM
in the last year a few local minders have joined & it's really lowered the tone of the network & I have had prospective parents comment that they don't rate network minders as they've seen other minders (talking about them)they wouldn't leave their rubbish with...so I feel I'm getting tarred IYSWIM...sorry not much help to you...I'm sure it should be in your paperwork though!

To be honest, that's what put me off. There are some brilliant minders on our network, but also some truely horrendous ones who I think give the whole thing a bad name.

Blaze
09-07-2009, 02:10 PM
To be honest, that's what put me off. There are some brilliant minders on our network, but also some truely horrendous ones who I think give the whole thing a bad name.

That's just how it is & it's such a shame:(

Gherkin
09-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Personally I think it is each to their own. I joined the network and became accredited because I see what I am doing as a long term career and I want to do everything in my power to give me an edge.

I also like the fact that I get support from the network co-ordinator whereas other childminders in my area get none or very little support unless they shout for it.

Tired
09-07-2009, 04:01 PM
you are right Claire. i used to feel positive about the network, just like you do. I just feel a bit down on everything right now. I probably will stay, cos you have made me remember what is good about it.
I think perhaps I just need a holiday to feel refreshed and more enthusiastic about everything.
Think I might change my username to something more positive.

Any suggestions anyone?

nannymcflea
09-07-2009, 04:19 PM
you are right Claire. i used to feel positive about the network, just like you do. I just feel a bit down on everything right now. I probably will stay, cos you have made me remember what is good about it.
I think perhaps I just need a holiday to feel refreshed and more enthusiastic about everything.
Think I might change my username to something more positive.

Any suggestions anyone?

What about DURACELL....the battery that keeps going!:D

The Juggler
09-07-2009, 04:36 PM
That's just how it is & it's such a shame:(

How do they get on the network then! I thought the whole point was that network minders had to self assess and be assessed to get on the network as a group of minders who are striving to meet best practice.

It's the CDO who should be dealing with this. Don't leave your network - take it up with her. The network is to support you not to make you stressed out.

It's ridiculous you can't take maternity leave without getting chucked out. Doesn't make you a bad minder because you want to spend time on maternity leave. You come back and practice as well as before. I would be reporting those CDO's myself!

Blaze
09-07-2009, 04:41 PM
They got on the network via doing the DHC the co-ordinator was teaching it & it was infuriating as she was practically writing the assignments for them! They are always out so only get scheduled visits & it drives me NUTS!:angry:

The Juggler
10-07-2009, 06:56 AM
They got on the network via doing the DHC the co-ordinator was teaching it & it was infuriating as she was practically writing the assignments for them! They are always out so only get scheduled visits & it drives me NUTS!:angry:

That's terrible Blaze! So they are *!* and you are fab - you get blasted for taking time out to care for new baby and they doss around the shops and playgroups and are treated well! Lovely. She's a CDO and teaching the DHC? that is scary! I would be reporting to the NCMA and CACHE anonymously.