PDA

View Full Version : Can you have swine flu and no know

FizzysFriends
09-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Do you think its possible to not know you have swine flu if you have it mild?

huggableshelly
09-07-2009, 07:14 AM
most likely .... the symptoms are so close to many other flus

FizzysFriends
09-07-2009, 07:18 AM
I don't feel like I have flu, although I have never had it (have flu jab) so don't know what flu feels like.

I have been ill for a week but on the mend now with various illness' but when you put them together (which didn't occur to me before) they are a lot of the same symptoms as flu.

squiggle
09-07-2009, 07:22 AM
my partners cousin was diagnosed as having it yesterday.

she was over the worst but had a bad cough. her doctor had seen 8 cases alone yesterday in one village.

Ring the doctors if your not sure to put your mind at ease, they came straight out to her home

x

miffy
09-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Ring the doctors if your not sure to put your mind at ease,

x

I think that's a good idea - I don't know if having a flu jab fully protects you or it means if you get flu it's a milder dose?

Miffy xx

FizzysFriends
09-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I think that's a good idea - I don't know if having a flu jab fully protects you or it means if you get flu it's a milder dose?

Miffy xx

I was reading about the link to the flu jab and swine flu strength and nobody knows but they were saying that very few cases of swine flu were in people with the jab.

I think im over it nearly now, im also on anti biotics, dont know if that helps either.

I wasn't going to tell the dr as im on the mend but didn't know if I should tell mindees parents.

rickysmiths
09-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Antibiotics won't help flu because they only help bacterial infections and flu is a viral infection- Tamiflu is an anti viral drug not an antibiotic.

This is why going to the doctor for antibiotics when you have a cold is pointless.

angeldelight
09-07-2009, 08:35 AM
My daughter in law was ill for a week just felt under the weather with a bit of a cold and sore throat

The second week it got worse and they said she had swine flu she had tests and the medication

I think it is hard to tell though there are so many bugs going around at the moment

My daughter in law said the first week she felt like she had a normal cold but just did not feel right

So maybe if you just dont feel right either you should get it checked out

Angel xx

kindredspirits
09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
what i can't make out - mindee came in with a cold about 2 weeks ago, we all got it - dh got really rough felt like he had flu and me and george are feeling poorly now, but if i don't go to the gp then surely it will make its way out of my system without tamiflu - like normal flu, they don't give anti-viral drugs for standard flu do they.

Hebs
09-07-2009, 09:37 PM
i have the flu jab every year, its supposed to prep the immune system for the flu as it's a tiny dose of flu which your body fights and builds up immunity to it, but as the flu virus mutates all the time they have to constant adjust the flu vaccine to whichever strain they think is going to hit us next.

I have a sore throat, have had it for 2 days and had a bad head last night but i don't think it's swine flu, think i'm just worn out after all the running around i've done that last few days

miffy
10-07-2009, 07:17 AM
How are you feeling Fizzy?

Have you decided to see your GP?

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Hope you are feeling ok

Angel xx

FizzysFriends
10-07-2009, 09:26 AM
what i can't make out - mindee came in with a cold about 2 weeks ago, we all got it - dh got really rough felt like he had flu and me and george are feeling poorly now, but if i don't go to the gp then surely it will make its way out of my system without tamiflu - like normal flu, they don't give anti-viral drugs for standard flu do they.

Yes it will go without tamiflu but im in 2 of the high risk categories so im a little worried as dr said it comes on very very quickly unlike a cold which is gradual.

FizzysFriends
10-07-2009, 09:32 AM
How are you feeling Fizzy?

Have you decided to see your GP?

Miffy xx

No I haven't spoke to the GP, I thought I would wait and see if I get any worse. There is very little that will stop me trying to go about my normal daily life. Am checking my peak flow though, as they like asthmastics to do when they think they are coming down with something.

I was very ill in the night though fever, achy, headache, asthma bad, nausea. But not so bad now.

But I have an ear infection which could give the fever, headache due to my sinus infection, asthma bad due to hayfever, nausea as I have IBS, so if you look at like that I can't have flu.

Willowdancer
10-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Hope you feel better soon FF.

I had a very nasty sore throat, with my glands and tonsils up like footballs, earlier on this week and it didn't cross my mind that it could be swine flu (more a mild dose of tonsillitis perhaps) but now we've had a letter home from school and nursery saying children there are being treated with Tamiflu it does make me wonder a bit.

mandy moo
13-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Miffy xx

Im type 2 diabetic on metformin, because of this, I get a flu jab yearly, and although i know it mutates, would I still get it?
Answers on a post card please..lol

FizzysFriends
13-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Im type 2 diabetic on metformin, because of this, I get a flu jab yearly, and although i know it mutates, would I still get it?
Answers on a post card please..lol

There is a swine flu jab out next month that you will be offered. Its not covered by the yearly flu jab although nobody is sure if its helping people get it mild.

Minstrel
13-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I saw a doctor on TV earlier and she said the best indicator was if you had a high temp. Also said DO NOT go out to the doctors ( you might infect young/old/sick etc but do give them a call.

Hope you don't have it xx