PDA

View Full Version : pregnant and working

mozarella
08-07-2009, 06:30 PM
I am not pregnant yet but we would like to try for number 2 in the next few months, however just started childminding and dont want to jeopardize the business too early.

Can I ask how long you managed to work for and how much maternity leave you took?

Thanks

Moz

samgeordie
08-07-2009, 06:37 PM
sorry can't help you with this but looking forward to seeing the replies as im in the same situation and been minding a year:)

Tatjana
08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I honestly believe it depends on the individual pregnancy, A friend of mine sailed through her pregnancies, didn't even seem to get tired, she said she didn't understand why some women make a big deal of it:angry:

I on the other hand am no good to man or best with 24/7 sickness for the first 10 weeks, constantly exhausted etc.:blush:

Might be easier whilst working from home rather than having to travel to and from work on the train/bus etc

xx

Little Pumpkins
08-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Hiya]

I had my son last october only took 2 weeks mat leave, and to be honest it wasnt enough

this time Im due november and Im taking a year and most likely wont return to minding as I will have 2 under 5 of my own!

PixiePetal
08-07-2009, 08:56 PM
My kids are much older now. I was minding when I was expecting DS. He was due beginning Nov and I planned to work up to end of summer school hols. Did not go to plan as I tripped,fell and broke my wrist at beginning of Aug :rolleyes: He was safe and all was well once I got the wrist plastered.

Only had 1 mindee at the time, her mum was pregnant too and I had to just finish. We both had 2 year old girls.

After he was born I wanted to start back (new mindees needed) when he was 3 months old but none were about. He was 10 months old before a child over one turned up :rolleyes:

Ideally I would have had 8 weeks off before and 12/13 after. Luckily we could afford the break (literally!!:laughing: )

charleyfarley
08-07-2009, 08:56 PM
With Charley I took 6 months off because we moved house/areas so had to be inspected again.

With Mitchell I had 3 days off and that included a weekend, I felt fine and did only have 1 lo.

Both times I've worked after due date but it does depend how you feel and what you want to do.

Carol xx

georgie456
08-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I worked up to 36 weeks (only with 2 part timers though) and found it ok.

I took the full 9 months maternity because I was actually about £150 a month better off on maternity allowance than what I earned from my part timers!

I was very lucky in that I had a local childminder cover my leave and now have both children back after my leave plus a new full timer.

tulip0803
09-07-2009, 12:20 AM
I was lucky and my pregnancy was not too bad apart from SPD which meant I used to drive the children to school instead of walk:blush: . I didn't fill spaces and did cut back on children. I worked to a week before my due date but all the children's new minders knew they could get the children sooner if things changed. I used my maternity to move and as I had payed my NI I got Maternity Allowance which although not tons was enough to get by on - I ended up not working for 14 months after DD2 was born through choice:)

Blaze
09-07-2009, 01:42 AM
I worked till 33 (30 full time & 33 part time) weeks with ds2...then topped working as i was moving...I intended taking the full year, so was due to start back in Sept, but I have a full time LO due to start in January & as my son starts school in Sept, we decided to get him settled & then I just start up in Jan...TBH I don't know how I worked to 33 weeks...I had a lot of health problems & there was no way I could have worked any later...had it been the pregnancy I has with my ds...i would have worked till the week he was born & been back at work the next day without a problem...you just have to see how you go...sorry, not much help I know!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-07-2009, 05:05 AM
I worked right up to the day before but i did have to go into hospital for week 6 months into my pregnancy.

I would say always have a back up plan.

If you have only just started childminding pay your NI and then you have some paid time off