PDA

View Full Version : have I done the right thing ?

mabel
08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
my son has had a bad cold since coming home from abroad, he lives with his girlfriend but visit us for clean clothes, a shower and has a bedroom still here.
His cold lingered for 2 weeks, now someone he has been in contact with,diagnosed with swine flu. He went doctors today, they said he has probably had swine flu but over the worst, sent him back to work. He has not been off work, still been out clubbing etc
Nobody in our house has had flu symptoms.
As a professional minder I have explained this situation to all 7 mindies parents
saying I respect their decision if they did not want to send their children. But all said they did not feel there was much risk here, the children would not even come into contact with my son only I would. Most felt they had a stronger risk catching it in the supermarket.
Felt I had done my duty.
The local headmaster (I have no children at school) rang me wanting to know
all the ins and outs about us infecting the school...totally over the top.
I feel I have done my duty and I am not aware that I have to contact everyone in the school ! with the risk from anyone catching swine flu here so minimal.
I was polite to him, but I feel quite angry now inside.
what do others think.
If I personally had been unable to work and felt a strong risk to others
I would have stayed in bed but I am perfectly well.

Minstrel
08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
i would have told him where to go!

i'm impressed you kept your cool with him considering its none of his beeswax!

mabel
08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
feedback from two of my parents, who have also had people in their offices
with the 'flu' should they now inform the headmaster, again they have not caught it but have been in contact ?

Minstrel
08-07-2009, 04:53 PM
feedback from two of my parents, who have also had people in their offices
with the 'flu' should they now inform the headmaster, again they have not caught it but have been in contact ?

i would imagine that most people by now have probably been in contact with it. It not a notifyable disease so i think he should concentrate on his own school and confirmed cases only should be the ones to express concern over.

Mouse
08-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Would he have contacted you if they'd had cases in school? I doubt it!

It sounds like you've been very sensible about it & done all you can, so just ignore the silly man!

youarewhatyoueat
08-07-2009, 09:36 PM
3 schools have all got children with swine flu around here and everyone is just carrying on as normal now, they are all mixing with each other, its just being ignored. We've had letters home but its all basic info, mainly warning vulnerable people to stay away.

mayberry
10-07-2009, 05:53 AM
3 schools have all got children with swine flu around here and everyone is just carrying on as normal now, they are all mixing with each other, its just being ignored. We've had letters home but its all basic info, mainly warning vulnerable people to stay away.

same here

Dawn xx

newandlearning
10-07-2009, 05:54 PM
arr.. it really annoys me when you are honest and up front and people get all huffy about things when you've done your best plus does the doctor really know for sure it was swine flu or is he just being over cautious..

can you take this further ie complain or talk to the local childminding support person for your area?

I hope all goes wellxx