PDA

View Full Version : children walking to and from school alone?

kindredspirits
08-07-2009, 02:08 PM
i have a message on my answerphone from a lady with an 11yo starting secondry school in sept. she is looking for before and after school care but would like him to learn to walk to school alone. my house backs onto an alleyway and the alleyway backs onto the school field (assuming its that school) so its only a 2 minute walk and loads of other school children walk there daily. i cannot see the alley from my house due to high trees so couldn't watch him.
would you take on this responsibility? feel like i am asking for trouble if he doesn't make it to or from school.

flora
08-07-2009, 02:15 PM
you have an independant arrival policy.

it states that you are not responsible for the child until they arrive at your setting.

also detail what you would do if the child didn't turn up etc etc.

i would say not a prob at eleven though???

Daftbat
08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't see a problem - so long as your contract includes the fact that you are not responsible for the childs welfare between school and your house. I have a mindee who is starting secondary school in sept and will be making her own way to my house after school which involves a bus ride, albeit a school bus. I think at eleven they need to have some independance.

nannymcflea
08-07-2009, 03:41 PM
I look after a 10 year old very sensible girl who occasionally walks to my house after a school club, if not she walks home by herself.She's only been doing this for a couple of months and she starts secondary in Sept.Theres no alley ways or areas where she wouldn't be seen, it's wide paths and pretty quiet roads after using the crossing to cross the main road. I think it needs to be done on an individual basis some are ready some are not.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I have a policy and permission form from the parents and Ofsted were fine with this. It is a very grey area and the children have to learn to be independent now, the schools encourage it

angeldelight
08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I use more or less the same letter that Debbie uses

Good luck

Angel xx