PDA

View Full Version : do Tax Credit Peep ever check up

newandlearning
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
today..
in order to help mum with future planning of the summer I gave her 2 pro-forma invoices .. one spans July-Aug and the other Aug-Sept.

she said she was thinking of giving them the higher weeks' costings and wondered if they ever checked up.. I said I didn't know if they ever checked up and imagined there probably were people out there who did alter figures to get more money... I'm thinking of suggesting to her later that she give them the average figure incase they do ever claw back... at the end of the day, I don't really feel its up to me to comment on what she should or shouldn't tell them. She then said '.. if I don't get enough from them I won't be able to pay you at all and then you'll probably be sacking me..' I don't know..:panic: am beginning to lose momentum a bit with this parent.. I feel I'm busy enough in the summer and am not going to get wrapped up in some emotional financial problem.. Am I being a bit aloof??. We've all got financial woes ay!!

anyway.. I've slightly detoured.. but do the Tax Credit ever check up?? am just asking out of curiousity really.. thanks a lot for reading.xx and hope you are all having a good day.x

haribo
08-07-2009, 12:30 PM
id suggest shes better being honest , then she can nver turn round and say you encouraged her blah blah, i just say well i fill in my tax return so what you claim has to match what i say im earning lol in case im ever checked out by the taxman. i dont mind what others do but im too scared to take chances :laughing:

tinkerbelle
08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
i have been minding for 5 and a half years in all that time i have had 1 letter asking me what a parent has paid
i know for a fact that some of my parents have exagerated what they pay me but thats thier down fall not mine as long as i know what iv been paid and the invoice matches what i declare then i know i have nothing to hide
dont worry yourself on what she decides to claim its her problem if they do check up

Curly Quavers
08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
They only seem to check up if they have a reason to doubt you. I know a lady who had 3 kids - 2 teens and 1 at 16 months she had to have 2 childminders to cover after school and all day for the little one and she was investigated. That was the first time I had ever heard of somebody getting checked on.

But you are correct it is not your place because if you say yes on you go and she does get found out then she will probably just blame you. If she asks you what to do again you should just say you don't know and it's not your place to tell her what to do and also perhaps reminder her that it is fraud.

Hope this helps

xx

margimum
08-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I've had tax credits on phone and by letter checking up several months (even years!) after children have left my care!
Every April I give parents a printout of every penny they have paid throughout year and let them know this is what I will be declaring to HMIR.
It@s not worth risking jail for a few pounds!:eek: :eek:

custardcream
08-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I have had them check several times over the years by telephone and letter, and they even wanted to know dates I had a family dating back for 2 years.

Think its best for her to be honest.

Mouse
08-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I have had letters in the past asking how much parents were paying, how long I'd had the children etc. That was a good few years ago though & I've not had any parents claiming since then.

FussyElmo
08-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I have had several parents to be checked out by the tax credits and each time they have exaggarated what they pay and each one had their money stopped :)

I always tell my parents to tell them the truth as I wont lie for them.

Mollymop
08-07-2009, 05:20 PM
I have never had tax credits ask me about my parents hours, etc, but I have only been minding for a little over a year.

You are not being aloof, but I would let her get on with it. You have warned her, been honest with her, so I would let her get on with it. If it came back to bite her on the behind it is her fault after all.

If it were me I would put the conversation to the back of my mind and get on with it, I am sure you will find out soon enough if she is going to be a "bad payer", hopefully within the trial period and then can make the decision whether you want to work with her or not.

Hope it works out ok for you hun.

(I ahve had a parent ask me whether i have been contacted by TC and I said No, not yet and she said that she was going to be declaring childcare for 17 hours a week, which is what she works rahter than the 8 hours a week I have the child, i warned her that she might get found out, but told her it is up to her what she decides to do. I never found out, it is not my business. But the child still comes here every morning)

Playmate
08-07-2009, 05:29 PM
We had a phone call this week from TC asking how much a familiy paid each month.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-07-2009, 05:30 PM
YES they do. I had 2 at the beginning but nothing since but they definately do.

gailee
09-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Last week i had tc phone me i've been a childminder for 5 years and this is the first time they have ever phoned me about a parents claim?? asking how much there weekly payment is?

newandlearning
09-07-2009, 06:59 AM
thank you for all your replies.. I told the mum last night that I'd found out that the TC do occasional check and can link me to her through my registration etc etc.. she seemed to get a bit defensive.. I really hope she didn't think I was implying she was lying to them or going to be.. yesterday morning she said if she didn't get the TC for both of them then she'd probably have to take both of them out.. this has made me feel a little :panic: as they are my first mindees .. I've had them for nearly a year and she effectively pays my salary.. I feel I also offer a good hourly rate, add outings, back up clothes, food etcetc and don't want to turn into more of a charity here...

my gut tells me there's something going on here possibly not even linked to me.. but maybe foolishly its making me feel nervous too...x:(

Louise_Oaktree
09-07-2009, 08:36 AM
I rang them a few weeks ago as I had doubts over a parent who came to register for the summer hols, gave her my details etc then 4 weeks before hols she gave notice saying she no longer needed me...I was told that I would have to order an investigation and that I needed details such as her NI number which I didn't have. The lady made it sound like it wasn't worth pursuing but she did say there is a procedure in place, but they do need some sort of evidence....:rolleyes: but basically once the procedure is started it's a proper investigation and they can get a criminal record :eek:

nikim
09-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I rang them a few weeks ago as I had doubts over a parent who came to register for the summer hols, gave her my details etc then 4 weeks before hols she gave notice saying she no longer needed me...I was told that I would have to order an investigation and that I needed details such as her NI number which I didn't have. The lady made it sound like it wasn't worth pursuing but she did say there is a procedure in place, but they do need some sort of evidence....:rolleyes: but basically once the procedure is started it's a proper investigation and they can get a criminal record :eek:

maybe we should start asking for their ni number to be put on their childs record forms ,and say we need it for tc purposes if they ever need to make a claim, that way when tc ring us about claims we can use it to verify the right parent, that way it would discourage parents from making false claims,just a thought:idea: