PDA

View Full Version : Any advice?

Emmylou75
08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi just had lady around with her 2 boys who were lovely :-) She wants me to have 7 month old 2 days from 10 - 4 and then 3 year old after school and then the same 2 days in the school hols as his brother. As my max is 4 including my 2 then this means I can't contract anybody else on these 2 days unless they only come term time and leave at 3p.m. as the older boy wants the space in the school hols. Am i making sense? Is this just tough luck or do people charge parents for keeping the holiday space?

margimum
08-07-2009, 01:31 PM
It's basically tough!
You may be quite likely to get a term time only to fit round the older child. If you only pick up rfom school who takes him? and if I was only having hiim for 1 hour I would charge a higher rate or minimum session fee.
Having both your spaces taken up for only 2 days a week may be restrictive too What if you get an inquiry for full time?
Sorry i'm confusing you more!

Minstrel
08-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Are you sure you can only have 4 including your own?

If your certificate says 4 then this will already have your children atken into account and will be the amount of minded children you can have.

If you cert says 2 and you only have 2 children yourself under 8 then why not ask your insoector for an increase in numbers?

Emmylou75
08-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks for your replies,

I've told mum that I charge a minimum after school fee of £6 until 5:30 otherwise I'll only have him for half an hour, which is a space someone else could use. If they want to pick him up at 4p.m. with the brother they can or they can pay me to have the youngest one until half 5 too.

I'm only allowed 4 max in my area, if i want more I need to apply for planning permission (to do with parking etc) to be honest I dont mind only having 4 and once I become more established I might apply for more :-)

Emma x

manjay
08-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for your replies,

I've told mum that I charge a minimum after school fee of £6 until 5:30 otherwise I'll only have him for half an hour, which is a space someone else could use. If they want to pick him up at 4p.m. with the brother they can or they can pay me to have the youngest one until half 5 too.

I'm only allowed 4 max in my area, if i want more I need to apply for planning permission (to do with parking etc) to be honest I dont mind only having 4 and once I become more established I might apply for more :-)

Emma x

Are you not allowed 4 mindees plus your own 2? I have not heard of you only being allowed 4 including your own. Planning permission is a requirement here if I want more then the 6 the standards allow

manjay
08-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Going back to your original question I did eaxactly this when I started. It was only going to be for 5 months and I was taking and collecting the 3 yr old but he was out of my care from 9-3. I thought as I was new and wanted to start off slowly it was a good decision. I charge a minimum of 2 hours per day irrespective of how long they are here and that is what I charged. However I did start to feel resentful before the arrangement ended as it lost me full day business.

How long until the lo goes to school and moves up an age group?

Emmylou75
08-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I've only got them 2 days so I'm hoping the other 3 days will be full timers. Then again I'm happy to take it slow as I have my LO with me who's 21 months so I'll have my hands full!!!