PDA

View Full Version : exclusion period

marjie b
08-07-2009, 08:55 AM
I am a little concerned about a child who has been diagnosed with impetigo.

her mum has insisted it is ezcema for a week now even though i have asked her to see a doctor. the skin was weeping and bleeding yesterday so i insisted she see a doctor immeadiately after dressing the wound.

this morning mum turned up with lo and told me it was just a form of skin problem and nothing to worry about but that lo had anti biotics. i was sceptical as to why she needed these without an infection so asked what the condition was called, she mumbled for ages then finally said streptococcal...

I went on to google it in front of her to find its a bad case of impetigo, so i asked to look at it and found it was covered with bit of muslim and SELLOTAPE!

Im upset as been asking her to sort it all week, its highly infectious and i have been advised to wash and sterilise all my toys...
I feel mum intentionally lied too.
how long should i exclude for and how can i make mum see the importance of treatment and being honest with me?

Chatterbox Childcare
08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Email Ofsted at www.ofsted.gov.uk and ask the question. You will then have reply in writing to give to mum and then include it in your policy.

Personally as it is transmittable I would exclude until clear unless it was covered with the appropriate dressing. With antibiotics and cream it wouldn't take long

sarah707
08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
I do not accept children with impetigo, it is too infectious.

You can usually spot it - it tends to go a bit yellow and crusty.

It lives up the nose so if the child has a cold, boil wash or spray everything he's touched.

The child must not come back until it is manageable (covered or almost gone).

If there is still crusting he must be sent home again.

Children often pick at the crusts which end up in your toy box or on the carpet :panic:

rickysmiths
08-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I think there was a thread on this last week.

No, No,No, I would be ringing the parent and getting them to come and take the little one home asap.

It is a highly infectious and a nasty disease and the lo should be at home until every spot has fully crusted over. That can take at least a week and sometimes longer.

I had this as an adult and it was truely horrible. I had to change my bed sheets every day and put them in the washing machine myself, I had my meals put in front of me and then I had to put the dishes in the dishwasher.

I don't care what Ofsted say I would send the child home.

I must say from what you have said I might have an off the record chat with the childs health visitor as well. the dressing attached with sellotape sounds desperate.

Although mums employer has to give her time off work for an under 5yr old they do not have to pay so this might cause a problem. The thing is we all know only too well, children are not convienient are they?

As far as the mum and the lack of honesty-I would be insisting on having a meeting with both parents as soon as the lo is well to sort out a continuing working relationship.

Oh sorry this is so long :eek: you can see I am passionate about this one :blush:

Playmate
08-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I think there was a thread on this last week.

No, No,No, I would be ringing the parent and getting them to come and take the little one home asap.

It is a highly infectious and a nasty disease and the lo should be at home until every spot has fully crusted over. That can take at least a week and sometimes longer.

I had this as an adult and it was truely horrible. I had to change my bed sheets every day and put them in the washing machine myself, I had my meals put in front of me and then I had to put the dishes in the dishwasher.

I don't care what Ofsted say I would send the child home.

I must say from what you have said I might have an off the record chat with the childs health visitor as well. the dressing attached with sellotape sounds desperate.

Although mums employer has to give her time off work for an under 5yr old they do not have to pay so this might cause a problem. The thing is we all know only too well, children are not convienient are they?

As far as the mum and the lack of honesty-I would be insisting on having a meeting with both parents as soon as the lo is well to sort out a continuing working relationship.

Oh sorry this is so long :eek: you can see I am passionate about this one :blush:

O Ricky I have missed your soap box rants, youv'e been so conservative just recently :laughing: :laughing:

I totally agreee though with every word you have said. Definately needs to exclude until clear.

rickysmiths
08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
O Ricky I have missed your soap box rants, youv'e been so conservative just recently :laughing: :laughing:

I totally agreee though with every word you have said. Definately needs to exclude until clear.

Thanks for the support. I have been trying to be careful :blush: