PDA

View Full Version : Variations England/Scotland/Wales

Polly2
08-07-2009, 08:05 AM
In Wales (my area of wales anyway) you can only be allowed a variation if it is for continuity of care for children you already mind

e.g. you may have a parent who has to extend their hours at work etc

you cannot have one in order to take on a new contract.

I was wondering if it is different in other areas? - as I see some posts which have confused me a bit.

atmkids
08-07-2009, 08:23 AM
I was told this by Ofsted recently but I don't know how strict they are about it or whether it depends on which inspector looks at the variation request.

aly
08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
where are you polly?

As you know I'm s.wales too. I was granted a variation to take on a child as it would cover 1 hour[and a bit] for 3 daysuntil sept.

The reason they granted this was because they made a mistake on my certificate [which i didnt know about] I did even phone their office and the office girl there told it was right. I took on a contract but my CDO queried it and it was wrong but when my CSSIW inspector came out, we did the variation there and then as it was their mistake.

Polly2
08-07-2009, 09:06 AM
I am near Abergavenny Monmouthshire. I have a variation too but only for existing child to change hours.

It was good they did yours there and then!

margimum
08-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I applied for a variation for a new child (in England) to cover maternity for another minder but was turned down. I took him on for the days i had a space and reapplied under continuity of care and was granted the variation! I think they do enforce these rules strictly.

manjay
08-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I am in Flintshire and we have received correspondance from CSSIW via NCMA not to even bother to request a variation if it is for financial gain. They will only look at it if it is for continuity of care. I applied for one a couple of months ago for a family who needed a full week of care rather than the three days they normally have. What a palava!!! It was for a total of 1 hour and it had to be agreed by my inspector, her boss and then I had to wait for it to go before the panel before I had the final go ahead. Turned out I needn't have bothered as dh was at home for the day anyway which means we can have 6 under 5:rolleyes:

aly
08-07-2009, 03:18 PM
that is a palaver manjay!

my variation ends on the end of august [although imnot having mindee in hols] as my son is full time in sept. but does anyone know if it still covers me for the 2 weeks of induction of silly hours??

MissTinkerbell
08-07-2009, 05:25 PM
that is a palaver manjay!

my variation ends on the end of august [although imnot having mindee in hols] as my son is full time in sept. but does anyone know if it still covers me for the 2 weeks of induction of silly hours??

You will still need a variation for the days he is doing funny hours. He is only considered over 5 for your ratios when he is in school for 10 sessions per week.

I'm currently applying for one for 2 days for a new child who starts school in Sept. The person I spoke to yesterday does not think this will be a problem.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Same in England - you need to be creative sometimes. I have known childminders to take on for 1 day for a few weeks and then apply for the overlap for the remainder of time

twiggy
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I have just applied for a variation to take 2 children on. The mum needs a 6.30am start and can't use a nursery because of the early start and no other local childminder is interested. I need the variation for 2 days a week, and it won't be every week as one of my current children is only with me 3 days on and 3 days off and the majority of my other children are term time only.

I have had to do an action plan detailing how I will meet the physical and emotional needs of more than 3 under 5's and complete a grid showing who I have and when.

I've now got to await their reply!

aly
09-07-2009, 11:30 AM
You will still need a variation for the days he is doing funny hours. He is only considered over 5 for your ratios when he is in school for 10 sessions per week.

I'm currently applying for one for 2 days for a new child who starts school in Sept. The person I spoke to yesterday does not think this will be a problem.
right ok that makes sense.
I doubt I will still have this boy anyway as I may be taking on a baby instead but it's worth knowing as I may need one for the 2 weeks.

:thumbsup:

georgie456
09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
In Wales (my area of wales anyway) you can only be allowed a variation if it is for continuity of care for children you already mind

e.g. you may have a parent who has to extend their hours at work etc

you cannot have one in order to take on a new contract.

I was wondering if it is different in other areas? - as I see some posts which have confused me a bit.

It is the same in England, however I was recently granted a variation for a new child. I think it does sometimes depend on whose desk your request lands on, but in my experience I found them more than willing to grant it once they had all the information, despite it not being continuity of care.

manjay
09-07-2009, 11:39 AM
It is the same in England, however I was recently granted a variation for a new child. I think it does sometimes depend on whose desk your request lands on, but in my experience I found them more than willing to grant it once they had all the information, despite it not being continuity of care.

I would say that is correct. Unfortunately in Wales you tend to keep the same inspector so everything to do with you goes through them:rolleyes: