PDA

View Full Version : Best way to count on your fingers

Zoomie
07-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Sorry, really silly question, but what is the best way to count on your fingers ?

I have always done thumb, pointer, middle, ring and pinkie ...

Mindee shows 3, by holding up middle, ring and pinkie, but seems to be struggling with showing 2. When mum did it, she held up pointer and middle. To me this seems 'chopping and changing' - ie not flowing and consistent.

So how should I be showing mindees ?

singlewiththree
08-07-2009, 06:19 AM
To be honest I don't think it really matters, its more important that the child does what is comfortable for them. That's what I have always done anyway as there doesn't seem to be a rule its more everyone does it differently and if they learn different ways then they won't be rigid or upset if when they start pre-school or school then the teacher does it differently.

The Juggler
08-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I woudl say it doesn't matter as long as you are showing them the right number - let them be creative - creativity helps with maths development. child might be experimenting deliberately with other ways of making 3!

nannymcflea
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
do it different ways, hold up both thumbs, hold up different fingers, numbers and counting shouldn't only mean the same two fingers, 2 means 2 and the more ways of doing it the easier it will become when counting objects.