PDA

View Full Version : Think DD has Hand Foot & Mouth Disease

Zoomie
07-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Noticed my DD had a sore or two on her thumbs earlier today, but as she constantly sucks her thumb I didn't think too much of it.

Then I noticed she has a nappy rash, which is similar to what mindee had last week (and still this week), which parents now think is thrush (and have been treating accordingly). Mindee was also terribly niggly last week with parents (but fine with me).

Anyhow, back to DD, she was a terror yesterday and this afternoon ... and her hands and feet seem to have 'spots' on them, and there may be one on the inside of her mouth too, but I am unsure.

Am gonna wait until morning, and see what DD's spots look like then.

Probably going to have to close if it is HFM, but then I think this is what mindee had last week (but her's was just nappy rash ????, cos I never really saw her feet cos they had socks on)

:(

LeanneC
07-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi

My dd had this just last week :eek: I was horrified

It's all cleared up now BUT on her feet and now starting on her hands the skin has started to peel off..does anyone know if this is normal ?

sweets
07-07-2009, 10:00 PM
i may be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think you have to close your setting if someone has HFM! it is highly contagious but never serious and i don't think schools close because of it.

Bex1
11-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi
I have just got over this so I sympathise with you and your DD.

I closed my setting for the whole week as per my GP and also my mum who developed an ulcer in her mouth but didnt actually come down with the virus, was also told to stay off school (she is nursery teacher) as a precaution, because it is a nasty virus that is highly contagious! So two GP's both told us the same! My parents were all told as soon as I had sores in mouth and on hand and feet and all very grateful for closing so I was very lucky they all were supportive!

Bec x

christinajanep
11-07-2009, 08:13 PM
hi, sorry to say but yes you do have to close if its hfam

chewy sweets
11-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Oh hope she's ok. If you need advice before seeing a doctor give NHS Direct a ring. Always given me great advice with my lo.
:thumbsup:

Zoomie
11-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Well it turned out DD does definitely have HFMD but after consultation with mindee's mum, and the fact that her children had been exposed to it for
3-6 days before my DD came out with spots, we decided to carry on as usual.

Fortunately DD seems to have had a mild dose, in that she hasn't been too poorly.

Mum also suggested that her DD (my mindee) may infact have had it last week (was poorly, irritable etc at home) though none of us noticed any rash, except nappy rash (which is exactly like my DD's).