PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so complicated?

kez
07-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Well finally started my SEF online today an got to finished section 1, 2 and 3 which has taken me just over 2 hours...I'm so dumb struck as what information to put in i have a copy of the guidance which has helped alot.

But why do they make it so complicated?

I mean I'm not even half way through yet and my mind just went blank will have a look again in a few days.....

I wish it was just a few simple questions !!!!!!

katickles
07-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I haven't started mine yet:blush: BUT i did buy a copy os Sarah's ebbok last night all about the sef - loads of other members on here have rated it so for me will be my life saver no doubt:laughing:

sarah707
08-07-2009, 06:54 AM
I understand they are going to change it... I am not holding my breath!

Just take it one question at a time and if you think you are repeating yourself, say so and don't write it again!!

Don't forget to do it on your home computer first in case you lose uploaded work.

You can copy (control c) and paste (control v) it into the online form when you are ready.

Good luck :D

sweets
08-07-2009, 07:39 AM
i think its the most stupid and complicated form i have ever seen! i did about half of it and then gave up, i refuse to do it. You don't have to complete it. its not compulsary. I got a good at my inspection and am more than happy with that, but i expect if you really want an outstanding then you would have to complete it.

HELEN10
08-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Oh didn't know it was not compulsory, been dreading looking at it and have just bought one of Sarah's ebooks to help, wouldn't have bothered if i had known that! (no offence Sarah...ha)

HELEN10

grindal
08-07-2009, 08:31 AM
I suppose it is very difficult to create a document that is relevant to nurseries, playgroups and childminders. As a new minder with one mindee I felt a lot of it was quite irrelevant to me, but as an ex teacher with nearly 15 years experience of quantifying what I do, I had an advantage over a lot of people. It does take ages though :panic: :panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
08-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Just take the questions one at a time when you submit them

My advice would be to ignore the questions and answer the guidance notes.

Would be best to copy and paste from a word document as you can move the text around.

kez
14-07-2009, 03:07 PM
thanks everybody and thanks sarah think i will buy a copy of your help with the SEF book, for extra guidnece to help me more x

Buzz Lightyear
15-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Urgh, it's awful isn't it? It took me hours and I've still not plucked up the courage to submit it to Ofsted in case it prompts them re. my inspection although on the flip side, I would like it over and done with, lol. Can't win!

Hoping they dont change it though as per Sarah's comments. No offence to anyone else but I've put a lot of hours in, especially if they scrap it! :angry:

mrs c
15-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Think you are doing well to have done up to the 3rd section in just over 2 hours. Took me ages to do my sef and had to leave it several times - could only face so much at a time.

sarah707
15-07-2009, 05:16 PM
These are going to be the new questions according to the Ofsted newsletter -

http://ofstednews.ofsted.gov.uk/article/490 -

I will of course update my e-book for customers once I get my head around the new stuff and when the content is finally decided by Ofsted :D

The changes we are making to the content include:

* combining how effectively a setting promotes children’s welfare with how effectively it promotes children’s learning and development

* bringing together the separate judgements we already make into one overall judgement about ‘Outcomes for children in the Early Years Foundation Stage’

* introducing some improved guidance and new graded judgements that contribute to the overall rating on leadership and management. These include two separate questions on ‘How well the setting engages with parents and children’ and ‘How well the setting works in partnership with others’. There is a separate judgement on ‘How efficiently and effectively the provider uses resources’; and another question based on whether a provider has an ambitious vision for their setting, including how effectively they share that vision and seek support in achieving it; and how high expectations are for the children they care for.

Buzz Lightyear
15-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Gosh, had better submit mine then before they change it, lol as I am NOT re-writing it :thumbsup:

CCJD
15-07-2009, 05:40 PM
It would be far better if they devised different SEF forms for different settings -it would make it far more logical and would, I am sure, make it easier for the inspectors too. Whilst we are all judged on the same standards, our settings are run in a far more streamline way - with planner, manager, key worker all being the same person. We don't need to answer the same question five different ways!
Good luck - took me about 10 hours in total butdid pay off at my inspection where I got an outstanding ( I am sure my sef had a big part to play in that).

Playmate
15-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Gosh, had better submit mine then before they change it, lol as I am NOT re-writing it :thumbsup:

Here, Here it took me six months to finish mine :eek: