PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu - and parents

kate44
07-07-2009, 05:57 PM
HI
I have just heard that one of my parents has been given Tamiflu by the doctor today. She says she doesnt have flu but has all the symptons (!?). I look after her 2 children and am due to have 1 tomorrow. SHe is well at the moment although the other child is off with some other illness. SHould I accept her? I cant find any advice on what to do now we are not in the containment phase any more! Please help, I need to know what to tell my other parents too...

Thanks

sarah707
07-07-2009, 06:09 PM
According to the Govt advice, if the child has flu then you exclude but if not you cannot do anything.

I am not sure you can say anything to parents as it would be breaking confidentiality.

I would confirm that with Ofsted if you are not sure - 08456 404040.

Hope this helps :D

kate44
07-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi

Thanks Sarah, just spoke to Ofsted and they cant advise, say it is totally up to me what I choose to do. I just cant see that it is sensible to accept her when I have 2 other little ones tomorrow and she may just be starting with it. It is also my hen do on saturday so I really dont want to catch it this week! Feel mean saying no to mum when she is poorly though as she will have to look after her...

Sadie's Mum
07-07-2009, 07:52 PM
we found out today that my husband (who is also a CM) has suspected swine flu. He's been prescribed tamiflu and he's been told he has to stay in for 4-5 days. He told the doc that I am also a CM and he said obviously he can't work coz he's poorly but I can still continue to work so long as I have informed the parents and they are happy for their children to still attend. We rang Ofsted and they confirmed the same and said they don't need to be notified as it's not a notifiable disease. All my parents have been great and are still sending their kids and I'm also having the mindees that are contracted to dh as and when I can - obviously keeping to my numbers.

FizzysFriends
07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
we found out today that my husband (who is also a CM) has suspected swine flu. He's been prescribed tamiflu and he's been told he has to stay in for 4-5 days. He told the doc that I am also a CM and he said obviously he can't work coz he's poorly but I can still continue to work so long as I have informed the parents and they are happy for their children to still attend. We rang Ofsted and they confirmed the same and said they don't need to be notified as it's not a notifiable disease. All my parents have been great and are still sending their kids and I'm also having the mindees that are contracted to dh as and when I can - obviously keeping to my numbers.

Are parents not worried their children will get it?

Twinkles
07-07-2009, 07:56 PM
My friend had this exact same problem today and ofsted were hopeless. She then called ncma who advised her to accept the child as he has no symptoms.
They have stopped closing schools here when there is a case .

Sadie's Mum
07-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Are parents not worried their children will get it?

No, not exceptionally (which I was actually quite surprised about!) - they have all said exactly the same thing, if they are going to get it they will get it from somewhere as they are now not doing containment, they could pick it up from anywhere, supermarket or whereever

angeldelight
07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi

Thanks Sarah, just spoke to Ofsted and they cant advise, say it is totally up to me what I choose to do. I just cant see that it is sensible to accept her when I have 2 other little ones tomorrow and she may just be starting with it. It is also my hen do on saturday so I really dont want to catch it this week! Feel mean saying no to mum when she is poorly though as she will have to look after her...

I had more or less the same problem last week

I also called Ofsted and the Health Authority

Ofsted said they could not tell me what to do but under the EYFS we must Safeguard ALL children in our care

I would personally not have the child because you need to safeguard the other children in your care and she would expect you to do the same if the boot were on the other foot

Angel xx

ajs
07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
oh i can't win
i also have a parent who has been confirmed with it but have been told by other minders on here and friends that i should exclude the child.
i have told all parents this evening ( without stating the names) that a parent has it and asked them what they want me to do, they have all told me that i can carry on working but to be aware if anyone does come up with symptoms.
i am going to call ofsted in the morning for advice, if they tell me to make my own decision i will accept the child back as there is no chance that i or others won't be infected at some time in the future.

angeldelight
07-07-2009, 10:02 PM
oh i can't win
i also have a parent who has been confirmed with it but have been told by other minders on here and friends that i should exclude the child.
i have told all parents this evening ( without stating the names) that a parent has it and asked them what they want me to do, they have all told me that i can carry on working but to be aware if anyone does come up with symptoms.
i am going to call ofsted in the morning for advice, if they tell me to make my own decision i will accept the child back as there is no chance that i or others won't be infected at some time in the future.

That is the problem Mandy

You can not win and I was in the same boat last week - I ended up with one happy parent and one unhappy parent but I had to do what I thought was best at the time

It is not easy I know

Good luck

Angel xx

ajs
07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
thanks for that angel
i just wish there was a definitive answer
child has it exclude
parent has it do not exclude

i will see how dad is tomorrow and maybe have her back for thursday id on't have her friday anyway so then it is the weekend and we should know whether she is infected or not by then.

wellybelly
08-07-2009, 04:48 AM
You cant win can you either way!

I sent a letter to parents last week saying what I am doing to help promote good hygine practices and that I will close if there is a suspected case in my setting, but now Im not so sure. It was said that they (government predictions here) expect 100,000 cases a DAY in August. Isnt it then inevitable we are all going to be exposded to swine flu?

Parents at my local school (gossip corner) are all really worried and are thinking about keeping their kids off school till the end of term, but as someone mentioned above, what about supermarkets etc?