PDA

View Full Version : am i being petty for £1 a week?

sweets
07-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I have a parent that pays me in cash weekly, i only have her DS part time and it usually comes to £41 a week. when she asks me what she owes me and i say £41 she often says ive no change and gives me £40 and says i will give you the extra next week. its usually forgotten and i think am i being petty asking her for the extra £1 for last week? i'm not very confident when it comes to the money side of things and i do think that she does genuinly forget rather than trying to get away with it.
Should i ask for it or just let it go as its only £1?

FizzysFriends
07-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I would ask for it, its your money and over a year its a weeks shopping.

Twinkles
07-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I'd be inclined to let it go. Especially if everything else works well.
Just expect £40 and then you won't get cross about it.

balloon
07-07-2009, 05:13 PM
next week have change, lol! (for a 20 just in case!)

Then when she says I have no change I'll just... say no problem I have change, and then say right 41 form this week and one from last week means 8 pounds change... she can hardly argue with you when it's right. ;)

sarah707
07-07-2009, 05:17 PM

Then when she says I have no change I'll just... say no problem I have change, and then say right 41 form this week and one from last week means 8 pounds change... she can hardly argue with you when it's right. ;)

Great idea! :D

manjay
07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
If it "usually" comes to £41 surely that is what she should expect to pay. All my parents get monthly invoices so I would put on it the hours used/ amounts paid and what they still owe. I agree it is only £1 a week but if it is every week it will add up.

Mollymop
07-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I would add the £1 on next weeks invoice, after 5 weeks it would work out £5 and then hopefully she will have the fiver to give to you.

I have often said "don't worry" about the odd £1 but if it happened all the time I would worry, it is money after all

ZoeAlli
07-07-2009, 05:24 PM

I think this is brilliant. :thumbsup:
You have every right to ask for it, she wouldn't expect her employers to do it to her so why should she get away with expecting you to be okay with it??
I didn't like asking for money, however I have learned the hard way!!:(

avril
07-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I agree as £1 a wk certainly adds up over the wks, mnths and yr.

Would she accept £1 less a wk in her wages? :rolleyes:

georgie456
07-07-2009, 06:11 PM
That's £52 a year! You are not being petty!!!

sweets
07-07-2009, 06:15 PM
thanks will ask for it from now on! good idea bluemoon for having change ready, will do that. :)

Spangles
07-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I think that's dreadful, definitely make sure you get every penny. What a cheek!

If I had underpaid someone by £1 I would be worrying about it until I gave it to them, I certainly wouldn't not pay it.

I agree with the others, you should expect to receive the full fees, that's £52 a year you are losing out on otherwise.

Mouse
07-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I'd go with the idea of having change ready.

If it was the other way round, the bill was £39 and she gave you £40, I bet she wouldn't be very happy if every week you said 'oh, I haven't got any change. I'll give you the £1 next week'. She'd soon tell you when the amount built up!

Spangles
07-07-2009, 07:33 PM
That's a really good point Mouse!

katickles
07-07-2009, 07:38 PM
I'd go with the idea of having change ready.

If it was the other way round, the bill was £39 and she gave you £40, I bet she wouldn't be very happy if every week you said 'oh, I haven't got any change. I'll give you the £1 next week'. She'd soon tell you when the amount built up!

Thats what I was going to say :)

I understand what you are saying - only a pound BUT that is £52 a year or a week & a bit of free childcare for her at the end of the day x

pinklady
07-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I bet she wants her change when she goes to Tesco (or any shop) and they can afford it more than you!

Ask for it, it's yours.:thumbsup:

miffy
07-07-2009, 08:52 PM
You're not being petty at all

You've earned it so you should be paid

Good luck - let us know what happens next week when you're ready with your change

Miffy xx

angeldelight
07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
This is the whole reason that I always round my fees off to the nearest pound because I have found parents have done this in the past it just makes it easier

I would prob leave it if it were myself - but I do agree with everyone else it does add up and she is cheeky

I am a coward though and for a pound I would not bother

Angel xx