PDA

View Full Version : Time off for Doctors etc

Louise_Oaktree
07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
My usual notice period for holidays is 4 weeks notice on both sides. I am wanting to book a Doctors appointment and don't want to take mindees as it is personal. Can I do this and close my setting with little notice for 1 day? One mindee is leaving in 2 weeks, the other quite flexible as self employed, will still do my after school children - what do you think? Do I still need to give 4 weeks notice?

devoncm
07-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I always say i generally do try to give 4 weeks notice but where it is not possible,sick drs some other emergency i will give as much as i can

ZoeAlli
07-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I think drs appointments are an exception to this rule as they are not only hard to get and therefore you have to take one when it's available but also you cannot predict when you need to see a doctor!!
I am sure as long as you give as much notice as possible this is all that can be expected. My parents have been quite understanding for appointments such as drs and dentists, and try to collect their children a little earlier or arrange for alternative care.

Helen79
07-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I would say a Drs appt is an exception to the 4 weeks rule.

Our Doctors surgery doesn't make appointments for that far in advance, I think they only do 2 weeks in advance so for me 4 weeks notice wouldn't be possible anyway.

I'm sure most reasonable parents wouldn't want you to be suffering for 4 weeks & would rather you made an appt as soon as possible.

FizzysFriends
07-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Could you make it at the very end of the day so they can just collect a bit earlier?

I had one yestarday, I couldn't book it until yestarday so made it for the latest they could do (5.25) and texts mom and she collected 15 mins early (contracted til 5.30)

andreaschildcare
07-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Do you know any other childminders thaT COULD SIT IN THE WAITING ROOM WITH THEM FOR YOU?

Louise_Oaktree
07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Could you make it at the very end of the day so they can just collect a bit earlier?

I had one yestarday, I couldn't book it until yestarday so made it for the latest they could do (5.25) and texts mom and she collected 15 mins early (contracted til 5.30)

Unfortunately my Doctors aren't so accommodating in that you have to take what you can get. Also my after school children are contracted until 6.30pm and 8pm so it would mean having to finish 4 children early, 2 of which are always late collecting and are not trustworthy :angry: .

I also need to have a tyre repaired on my car (flat tyre this morning :angry: ) so thought I could get everything done the same day.

georgie456
07-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Are there no other local childminders who could cover you? Whenever I have anything like that, I get someone to have the children while I go - I'm generally only gone 30 mins, and the parents are all happy with this arrangement (they have signed permissions to that effect)

Louise_Oaktree
07-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Are there no other local childminders who could cover you? Whenever I have anything like that, I get someone to have the children while I go - I'm generally only gone 30 mins, and the parents are all happy with this arrangement (they have signed permissions to that effect)

But surely they would be exceeding their numbers if they did this?

twiggy
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Just had the same problem. I needed to get an urgent doctors appointment for myself today and a dentist appointment for my own child who broke a front tooth last night. I was due to mind 2 children today. As one of the parents was not working I contacted her early this morning and postponed her child and took the other child with me. The child I took was fine I went equipped with snacks and books, my doctor has a private area in her room for examinations so the child was not subjected to seeing anything nasty and was to young to understand what my problem was.

When the child arrived later on the parent didn't even ask if I was o.k despite me telling her I was not feeling 100%. I think in future I will put myself and my family first and cancel the children for the whole day. You don't get any thanks for carrying on even when your not feeling too good.