PDA

View Full Version : Soooo confused please help!!!!

Adiamond
06-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Well as my title says I am feeling soooo confused, I have taken on a 14 month old little girl just on an as and when contract until mum gets a permanent position then she will be full time :)

Today was our first day and we played alot, she wants to play with everything all at once!!!!! I felt as though we had a fun day but mid afternoon I felt a little bored :blush: we were going to go for a walk but we would of got rather wet!!!!

Please can all you experts give me some ideas as to what exciting things we can do during the day??? Please??

And should I be doing obs yet?

How often do you all do obs?

Sorry for the million questions, I feel like my heads going to explode :panic:
I am not feeling very organised at the minute :(

Thank you in advance x x x

MissTinkerbell
06-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Its early days yet and I would be just trying to find out what she likes doing, what she can do and what her interests are. Also talk to mum to find out what she likes doing at home.

You could get some crayons and paper out or paint if you feel confident enough.

Going for walks and trips to the park. Are there any toddler groups or library story time sessions you could go to nearby?

It can get a bit boring by middle of the day just playing but as you said you and she had fun so don't feel embarrassed about it.

Observations - probably best at this point just be be noting down the things that she can do so you can use these as starting points to aid your future planning.

The Juggler
06-07-2009, 06:32 PM
If you're feeling a bit bored you could liven things up. Put on some music and do some silly dancing, exaggerate all the actions - my kids find it hilarious and it makes you feel better too.

sarah707
06-07-2009, 06:42 PM
You are observing all the time... as you see what she enjoys and how she reacts to things.

Just make some brief notes to run through with parents so they see you are getting to know their child.

We usually read books or watch a bit of TV around that midday lull... :D

Ripeberry
06-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Our local childminding team recomend that settling in is done over a 4-6 week period. In that time you are getting to know the child and they are forming an attachement to you as their 'Key Person'.
From this you get your starting points and then you do your planning and observations and next steps from there.
Hope this helps.