PDA

View Full Version : A little help please?

nannis1980
06-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi all....I have decided to produce a "sample" learning journey to help myself get to grips with the whole thing!...
I've found lots of different examples, many completely different to others....Can anyone share with me what is in their learning journeys and the order in which you set it out?
I think I will use the EYFS passport.

I plan to print photos...Does any info to go with the photos need to be handwritten?

I'm getting a little confuddled with the whole thing, wouldnt be the first or last time for me :blush:

Also the work that I put in these, or photos, is that as a result of an observation or do you just pop things in all week?

nannis1980
06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Sorry, another question because it's just hit me that we spoke a lot about WOW moments on the ICP training...where do they go in the journey??

Oh dear, I will be so glad when Ive put one together and can understand what should be where/why and how!

sarah707
06-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Start with observations - photos, notes about things the child has done, messages from parents, wow moments...

Then move on to assessments - look at your Eyfs...

Then next steps - these are the child's individual planning notes and should be done at least weekly, if not daily because children's needs change through the week.

Put it in any format you want - hand written, typed, in a scrap book, on pre-printed forms... it's up to you and how you think it is easiest for you to access.

You will probably find you change your way of presenting things as you get used to doing it... you will also find you write too much to start with, then cut back when you realise nobody is going to read it all!!

Aim to keep it short, sweet, punchy, to the point, meaningful and relevant :D

nannis1980
06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
So....I've done an activity with the LO and taken some pictures...I then take the pictures and write near to them which of the six areas the activity covered....Then summarise how they were covered and what could be done next to further development....Is that about right??

So each week if we are doing 7 activities do I just include the ones I feel necessary, or just say one a week to limit paperwork?
Is that an observation?...If so is this not a big book full of observations?....So sorry I'm not usually such a simpleton but this is really doing my crust in lol!!:panic:

sarah707
06-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Through the week a child might be involved in hundreds of activities... most of them are chosen by the child.

He comes in, gets out the train track, makes a big circle track, chuffs his train round and round, gets out a Thomas Tank book and asks you to read it, watches a bit of TV, goes to the park or has a swing in the garden, comes in for snack....

Nothing special going on there then, just normal routine stuff.

Afternoon, he gets up from his nap, goes into the playroom, gets out the pencils and starts to draw a picture of a snail. He tells you he saw a snail on the wall yesterday ... so you get out the magnifying glasses and off you go in search of snails. You find one and he's looking at it really closely and making lots of observations about how it moves and looks... WOW! He's followed this through himself and you are really impressed by what he is learning...

Take a photo, make a note, stick it in his book with his snail picture, put a comment - maybe something he's said about the snail or the way it felt - next steps might be to draw circles in the sand, look at snail shells, find a snail book at the library...

Tomorrow nothing in particular happens... next day nothing really happens... next day mum tells you he is into dinosaurs at home... off you go again! Make a note, think about next steps... follow his interests.

Does that make a bit more sense now? :D

nannis1980
06-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Thank you so much Sarah :) .... So I was kinda on the right path :D

I've just seen you have an ebook on learning Journeys, might have to invest in that :)

Thanks again for such quick, detailed replies x