PDA

View Full Version : strange / worrying

Teresa
18-02-2008, 02:50 PM
i posted earlier that i had someone from the local family centre bring a mum around to see me about minding her child whilst she is on a course. they was nearly a hour late and when they turned up there was two guys and a teenage girl.
they came in i offered them a drink and they refused saying they could not stop just came for a quick look round and collect some paper work. i gave them one of my parents hand books showed them the rooms i use for childcare. they never asked any questions just said it would be 9:30-5 5 days a week when i asked what sort of hours they were looking for. then they left was here the whole of two minutes, they seemed so much in a rush i forgot to ask for i.d, this worried me so i called the family centre and asked if they had a person by this name working for them, they did thank goodness.. i cant believe a family centre did not want to know more about the service and my routines,

Polly2
18-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi Teresa

That does sound strange - and I would have been worried too. You did the best thing by phoning the centre and confirming who they were.

Was the mum the teenage girl? Did they bring the child with them? It all seems a bit odd to me. Don't know what to suggest really???????

Did they give you any more info at the centre?

miffy
18-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Very strange - so did you find out who was who?

As Holly says where was the child?

I think you did the right thing to check it all out but it just seems really odd to me

Miffy xx

LittleMissSparkles
18-02-2008, 03:40 PM
mmmm does sound odd that they had NO questions at all xxx

Teresa
18-02-2008, 04:04 PM
they didnt have the child with them but when the guy phoned they said the child was his grand mother today.
the girl was a teenager i would say about 18 years old. they said they would call me this later to let me know if they would be using my services, they want the child to start wednesday. short notice or what? if they call i am going to say that i want the mum to come and see me tomorrow with the child to discuss the care and if i agree to take on the child i will call at the centre with the contract for them to sign as they will be paying the invoice.
before i will take the child on i am also going to tell them i want a months fees in advance. the only questions was on the phone earlier today and that was what spaces do i have and how much i charge.

do you guys think i am going the right way about thngs in this situation, with being new to all this i am really worried.

tulip0803
18-02-2008, 04:05 PM
I work in a Family Centre at the minute and that is really strange. If it was one of our lot you would be kicking them out at bedtime cos they love to talk. :laughing:
After reading other posts on here - Does your paperwork have your reg no on? Did the Family Centre confirm or explain anything to you on the phone?

Weird

JuliaXX

tulip0803
18-02-2008, 04:08 PM
they didnt have the child with them but when the guy phoned they said the child was his grand mother today.
the girl was a teenager i would say about 18 years old. they said they would call me this later to let me know if they would be using my services, they want the child to start wednesday. short notice or what? if they call i am going to say that i want the mum to come and see me tomorrow with the child to discuss the care and if i agree to take on the child i will call at the centre with the contract for them to sign as they will be paying the invoice.
before i will take the child on i am also going to tell them i want a months fees in advance. the only questions was on the phone earlier today and that was what spaces do i have and how much i charge.

do you guys think i am going the right way about thngs in this situation, with being new to all this i am really worried.

This is in the Family Centres' remit - to help fascilitate parents on courses but make sure you are paid in advance and all your usual terms cos if the mother just stops the course they might just stop paying you immediately. Strange that they wanted no other info.

JuliaXX

Teresa
18-02-2008, 04:12 PM
None of my paper work as my ofsted number on and they never asked to see my certificate. the centre did confirm the guys name and they was aware of him visiting me today. in fact she said he had just come in and gave the paper work to her. it just seemed strange they didnt seem to care much not even the mother, i know i would sit down and chat with someone that was going to care for my child and discuss every little detail esp someone i had never seen or met b4.

angeldelight
18-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I think you have done everything right so well done for that

Continue to do what you are going to do tomorrow

What a weird way to do things

Mind you nothing surprises me social services called me once and expected me to take on a child I had not met with no mention of fees or contracts

I soon put them right

Start the way you mean to go on

You still need some sort of relationship with the mother too even if the centre are paying and more important the child

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

miffy
18-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I agree I think asking you to start on wednesday is too short notice both for you and the child!

I'd make sure you meet mum and the child, fill in all paperwork and make sure you can be paid 4 weeeks in advance then have a couple of settling in visits with the child.

This is no different from any other minding only that the family centre will be paying - it is still your business and you need to make sure everything is done on your terms

Good luck
Miffy xx

angeldelight
18-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Just to let you know when its someone else paying on behalf of a parent I always make sure I have a form that they also sign

To confirm that they understand they must still pay me if the child is ill or does not turn up

They must pay me if they are late etc

Otherwise you will find that the centre will say its the mother who should pay for days like this and not them

Angel xx

charleyfarley
18-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I had this about Sept of last year and it amazed me too.

Got a phone call to ask if I had a vacancy and they were bringing her the following week without me even meeting mom or baby.
When I said they needed to fill in all the paperwork they said they would arrive 1/2 hour early.
Day she was due to come I got a phone call to say she wasn't coming, she didn't feel up to it.
Following week I phoned them as again they didn't turn up to be told again she wasn't coming.

I did get paid for the 4 weeks she was booked for though even though I didn't actually have the little one.

They seem to think it's perfectly normal for a mother to leave a child with someone they don't know.

I think it worries us more than them .

Good luck with it

Carol xx

Cheeky Chops
18-02-2008, 05:32 PM
how very strange is this?! hhmm what a wierd one!! No adivice sorry, just didnt want to read n run! hope you get it sorted soon hun! if in doubt I would ring the family centre again and have a contract as the girls say listing what you want payment for (for sick days etc) and do it that way!??

how strange!! x

Hopscotch
18-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I cannot offer muchadvice really the other girls have covered it all. But i would make sure they paid in advance and that you at least get to sit down with mum and have a chat find out a bit about the child and actually meet the child.
Bev X

littletreasures
18-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Who was the other man then, her boyfriend perhaps?

I would definitely ask for money in advance, I know the Centre is paying but I would still ask just to make sure.

Jules

Schnakes
18-02-2008, 07:13 PM
I have just had something very similar, so can help you out a bit!

Mum had two littluns for me to mind while she was on this course. I always ask for 4 weeks deposit these days which the co-ordinator was happy with. Two kisd are lovely (if a little unruly!!) and I was delighted to be able to help out. Co-ordinator said send me the invoice etc...the kids turned up for the first week, never to return. Unfortunately the co-ordinator managed to wriggle out of signing my contracts so I will only be getting paid for the hours worked. Am very annoyed at myself...I would NEVER usually start working without a contract, but I thought...oh, they're from the council, they wont mess me around!! :rolleyes: Silly me!!

This is the second time its happened (although to be fair in the first case the very young teenage mother decided she didnt want to go through with it before we even got to contract stage, so not the councils fault).

I would urge you to sign contracts asap, and get them to at least make a downpayment before you allow them in to your care. Dont trust them to turn up, and dont trust the counil to follow whats been agreed.

Good luck - PM me if you want any further info :)

Sx

Teresa
18-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks, you lot are a great help, i havent had a phone call this afternoon, i am on my first aid course tomorrow from 10 - 2:30 i will call the centre in the morning and explain to them that without a contract and having a chat with mum and meeting baby i will not do the child care. see what they say. will keep you all up to date on the progress of this.

Teresa
18-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Just to let you know when its someone else paying on behalf of a parent I always make sure I have a form that they also sign

To confirm that they understand they must still pay me if the child is ill or does not turn up

They must pay me if they are late etc

Otherwise you will find that the centre will say its the mother who should pay for days like this and not them

Angel xx

could i possibly see the form you use angel if you dont mind

Teresa
23-02-2008, 12:41 AM
i called the on tuesady and told them straight that i would not be willing to have the child tomorrow (wednesday) i insisit on meeting and having a chat with the mum and meet the child and that there would have to be a settling in period, and before the child care starts that i would need a contract agreeing to and signing by them and the parent, the guy said he had not seen the mum and would call me back and let me know. not had a call so it looks like they decided against it.

miffy
23-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Oh well never mind it sounds like it might have been a lot of hassle anyway

Hope you get something better soon

Miffy xx

miss muffit
23-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi the same thing happened to a childminding friend....she was also baffled by it all and thought it was someone checking up on her.
the minding never materialised... still very strange tho K:) :) :)

Heaven Scent
26-02-2008, 09:30 AM
:angry: :angry: :angry:

Blasted cheek of them ( the council ) They (& Ofsted) insist we do all this training and run our businesses properly and turn our homes into institutions with posters all over them etc etc and they don't want to abide by the rules they set themselves.

Celine :angry: :angry: :angry:

Pipsqueak
26-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I done a bit of minding for a mum who was on a course - all was fine (Mum and child were lovely), the Childrens Center organised it all and it was them who agreed to the paperwork/contract etc..... They were very clear about charges etc.

Mum on a couple of occasions was late back from her course and so I added extra hours to the invoices - guess what I never got paid the extra, I did tackle it with the CC but got absolutley nowhere, I was basically told that they would fight it and they have more "might" than me.

that was my first and last time that I do that!