PDA

View Full Version : Who counts as "under 5s"?

IamJen
04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
So, I had my pre-reg visit and all went well. I have a couple of small bits to fix (lock on the knife drawer for instance) and my FA course is next weekend, but otherwise, she said I'm good to go.

I'll be registered for 4 children, with 2 being under 5 spots. I could be registered for more if we moved some furniture around, or used our spare bedroom, but I said that I was really only thinking about 2 children fulltime anyway.

However, at the end of the visit, she said that I would be a good candidate to start delivering the nursery education after I became part of a childminding network.

Since 4 year olds in sessions at preschool, etc. can be counted in some instances as being in the older age group, I'm wondering if this would mean that I could have four 4 year olds, for instance. I was talking with my other half and saying that maybe I could have a sort of "preschool" at the house. :)

Minstrel
05-07-2009, 08:24 AM
The matter regarding the 4 yr olds being counted as over 5's for ratios applies when they are at 10 sessions a week of school. ie are in reception class as a rising 5. This is so you are able to offer before and after school care for them.

Unfortunately I don't think even those accredited to provide funded places for 3 and 4 yr olds can include there own setting as the 10 sessions of pre-school otherwise some minders would have 6 under 5's!!! (3 bubs and 3 rising 5's!)

To clear it up and make sure, why not give OFSTED a call?

sonia ann
05-07-2009, 08:37 AM
The matter regarding the 4 yr olds being counted as over 5's for ratios applies when they are at 10 sessions a week of school. ie are in reception class as a rising 5. This is so you are able to offer before and after school care for them.

Unfortunately I don't think even those accredited to provide funded places for 3 and 4 yr olds can include there own setting as the 10 sessions of pre-school otherwise some minders would have 6 under 5's!!! (3 bubs and 3 rising 5's!)

To clear it up and make sure, why not give OFSTED a call?

this is how i understand it too but give Ofsted a call to clarify it:)

PS great about the good comments though:clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
05-07-2009, 08:44 AM
If you wanted to take the government vouchers for delivery "education" you can for 3-5 yer olds, depending on your area. This would affect your full timers.

To accept the vouchers you need to join a network and become accredited and then you could have 2 but no others. If you are going down this route I would reconsider changing the layout of your house (just why they are there) and then ask for more numbers and I believe you could double you current allowance.

The fee isn't that great and you only get paid for 33 weeks of the year. Is there a call for this or do your nurseries have places spare. It is a good draw card for parents as you would have lower child/adults ratio's.

IamJen
05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Apparently, according to my Ofsted visitor, there is a call for it in Oxfordshire. I'd definitely be interested, but I'd think it would have to be more like 4-5 children to make it financially worthwhile.

My other half is going to be getting a new computer soon, and ditching his desktop, which takes up a large space in the living room (he has this huge computer desk...it's so ugly!). So yeah, I think I'll try and get bumped up in numbers.

Is it possible ever to have 4 4s/rising 5s?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Apparently, according to my Ofsted visitor, there is a call for it in Oxfordshire. I'd definitely be interested, but I'd think it would have to be more like 4-5 children to make it financially worthwhile.

My other half is going to be getting a new computer soon, and ditching his desktop, which takes up a large space in the living room (he has this huge computer desk...it's so ugly!). So yeah, I think I'll try and get bumped up in numbers.

Is it possible ever to have 4 4s/rising 5s?

I believe, and don't quote me, that unless you register as a nursery you can only have 4 under 5's unless you have another working with you and then the space on your premises is taken into account. Call Ofsted and ask their policy on this.

IamJen
06-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the tips. You can 6 4 years (more, actually) in a nursery, so I wouldnt've thought it were strange for a childminder to have several as well.

No more than 2 under age 5 is tough. Most of the 5's and up are in school!

Chatterbox Childcare
07-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the tips. You can 6 4 years (more, actually) in a nursery, so I wouldnt've thought it were strange for a childminder to have several as well.

No more than 2 under age 5 is tough. Most of the 5's and up are in school!

We aren't nurseries with the vouchers and that is why we are restricted to a basic 3 under 5's. I know you could get an additional 1 but Ofsted don't allow any childminder working on their own to have 5.

If you were just having 4 year olds then Ofsted may class you as something else. Give Ofsted a call and they will tell you.

Minstrel
07-07-2009, 02:43 PM
It sounds like you want to be a nursery, not a childminder!

IamJen
08-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Nah. It's just that my 2 potential mindees I had would only be part-time, mornings or afternoons. When I had my pre-reg visit, the Ofsted inspector suggested getting registered to provide nursery education, so I thought that maybe in the other half of the day, I could do that...sort of a mini-preschool. :D.

I'm not from the UK originally, so the ratios for adults/children seem quite small to me. The "only 3 under age 5" part seems tough because that's generally who needs care! :)

Anyway, I've just worked it out with the lady I nanny for, that I'm going to begin working mornings for her (and another family) in September, and will do childminding in the afternoon, so it may just be after-schoolers for awhile.