PDA

View Full Version : Broken Hand

Jemima77
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I have gone and broke a bone in my hand and am in a plaster cast...great stuff, I am so clumsy!!
I am still going to work ~(even though they said I shouldn't really) but do i need to let OFSTED know????

LittleAcorns
04-07-2009, 09:09 PM
oh no!! how painful?!! hope you mend soon, not sure about Ofsted, sorry :rolleyes:

ORKSIE
04-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Hope it heals soon, dont think you need to inform OFSTED, but if you do someone here will know. Have you any LO's who need carrying, is my thought, or bum changin which may aggrovate it. Get well soon X

rickysmiths
05-07-2009, 12:46 AM
I wonder if your doctor/hospital have told you not to work and you do and something happens you may find your insurance is not valid. Also you probably will find the same thing if you drive your insurance may not cover you. You should definately check with both car and Public Lib insurers before you take on mindees.

charleyfarley
05-07-2009, 05:55 AM
Ooohh how painful, hope it mends quickly. Will you beable to manage ok still working?

I would double check with your insurers just to make sure

Carol xx

miffy
05-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Sorry to hear about your hand - sounds very painful

I agree I'd check with your insurance company especially if the drs have told you not to work

Miffy xx

TheBTeam
05-07-2009, 07:34 AM
No more advice, just to say poor you in a plaster cast in this heat!

Jemima77
05-07-2009, 07:58 AM
ahhh thanks for all your replies...I am definatley not driving with it so thats ok. Will check up everything tommorrow after hospital appointment thanks xx

huggableshelly
05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
ouch poor you, hope you heal fast xxx

miffy
05-07-2009, 08:12 AM
ahhh thanks for all your replies...I am definatley not driving with it so thats ok. Will check up everything tommorrow after hospital appointment thanks xx

Good luck at the hospital

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
05-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Ouch - hope it isn't too painful

Heaven Scent
05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
I know rules is rules but aren't some rules stupid in a way if you can make adjustmens to your practice to ensure you can do your job safely then that should be enough - I can imagine some tasks will be trickey with only one usable had - especially if it is your dominant hand - if you don't need to lift babies and only have mindees that you walk to school /playgroup and don't need to push buggies or hold hands of 2 then you should be pretty OK to carry on physically safely you can always adjust your menu so you don't have to handle heavy or hot items add extra time to allow you to walk more slowly to school - have another police checked adult with you - you could arrange to work with another minder do - prepare a risk assessment and e-mail or fax it to your insurance company before you call them - if they see you have assessed the situation they may still cover you so long as you agree to follow it to the letter then if somthing happens to a child then you will be covered.

I can see where they are coming from as you are more at risk of falling with only one hand in use especially if you need to act quickly to remove a mindee from a potentially risky situation - or you may not secure a cupboard lock or something properly because of using 1 hand.

How are mums who break limbs etc supposed to cope - I was really ill when my 2 were little and my husband was away I got no help at all and I still minded children who were at school but they went and came back from school on a bus and I did have 1 chappie who was 3 very p/t and his mum just said that he didn't have to go to playgroup on my bad days - it actually helped when he came because he kept my 2 year old happy they played brilliantly for hours and my DD was just very young and slept a lot - when his mum came back from work she would take my DS to play at hers - nobody ever suggested to me that I shouldn't work they did ask how I managed and when I told them they just said that it must be hard for me - no offers of help though or advice ot to work - it wasn't as though I was earning a lot - I had 2 under 3 myself so that only left me with 1 space for an under 5 which was very part time then I had 3 part timers before and after school - they were 2 sets of siblings and each family paid me £3.50ph for both children so financially it wasn't a great deal of money to lose if I had given up for a couple of weeks. - But that was 12 years ago under Social Services.

Good Luck I hope you have a successful outcome - take care of yourself and let us know how you get on.

pinklady
05-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Nothing more to add but just wanted to say poor you!:eek:

Hope you manage to get something sorted and that your hospital appointment goes ok.