PDA

View Full Version : DS might have impetigo, what do I do about mindee?

gigglinggoblin
04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I only have one, his mum is very laid back. Only have him another 2 weeks before school finishes (term time only). Do I refuse to look after him or if we get ABs for ds today will he be ok? I will let her know before Monday obviously but if she is happy for him to come is that ok?

aly
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
my son had this last month [think it was last month]/recently

anyway 1 mum didnt want her dd to catch it but the other mum wasnt too bothered with her 2 boys.

if mum is not bothered/laid back as long as you keep them to seperate towels etc I would still have them....just take precautions on keepign them seperate etc...

My son stayed upstairs most of the time

Chatterbox Childcare
04-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't have the mindee unless it was completly covered and that isn't recommended.

It is so infectious and is transmitted as easily and mindee touching his face and then touching yours.

had it before and very wary. Personally I would say NO

rickysmiths
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I would agree with Debbie. It is very very infectious. I would not have any mindees in my setting if my children had it and I would not take a child with it.

When I had it as an adult and I was working in the catering trade, I was banned from work until it had cleared up completly. I was toldby the doctor to change my bed sheets everyday and I, not my mum had to put them in the washing machine, all food plates could be put in front of me but I had to load them into the dishwasher after eating.

Sorry I don't mean to come across as rude, it is not a condition to take lightly but very seriously.

sue m
04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I agree too. My son had it when he was in his 20's and he was really ill. I was really worried as he couldn't get out of bed and slept all the time and felt really poorly. He had sores around his nose and mouth. He stayed in his room and I have to say, it's a horrible thing and I wouldn't personally have a mindee who has it. :)

rickysmiths
04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I agree too. My son had it when he was in his 20's and he was really ill. I was really worried as he couldn't get out of bed and slept all the time and felt really poorly. He had sores around his nose and mouth. He stayed in his room and I have to say, it's a horrible thing and I wouldn't personally have a mindee who has it. :)

Yes, I didn't go into those details but suffice to say I learned the meaning of 'Unclean' thats how I felt, I had sores all over my hands,face and back, honestly I didn't want to go out and be seen :eek: and I felt very unwell.

sonia ann
04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
found this in my resources.....

Impetigo

Impetigo is a skin infection usually caused by one of two types of bacteria, group A streptococci and Staphylococcus aureus. Impetigo appears as a blistery rash. When the blisters open, they produce a thick, golden-yellow discharge that dries, crusts, and adheres to the skin.

Impetigo is spread from person to person through direct contact with the discharge from the lesions. This infection can rapidly spread among persons in close contact, such as children in a child care facility.

If a child in your facility has impetigo: Exclude the child from the center until 24 hours after treatment has begun and the child no longer has a discharge. Infected areas should be washed with mild soap and running water. Wash the infected child's clothes, linens, and towels at least once a day and never share them with other children. Wear gloves while applying any antibiotic ointment that a physician may recommend, and wash your hands afterwards. (Antibiotics taken by mouth may also be prescribed.) Make sure policies on cleaning and disinfecting toys are followed.

ORKSIE
04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I had a child turn up with this, I told parent very sorry could not take her:)

gigglinggoblin
04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
OMG, I thought it was just around the mouth, we have obviously caught it really early. Treatment has now begun, mindee should not be here til 12 on Monday so will see how they look on Sunday evening. So according to Sonias resource it should be fine. I will still go with what it looks like and give mum the option if I think its ok. I can feel a lot of cleaning coming on!

Gizmo
04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
My dd had it a while back its horrible she was quite lucky only had it up 1 side of her face and she got it from scratching a small cut on her face, didnt last too long but I did have to keep her off the cm as she wouldnt take her incase it spread to any of the other kids

sarah707
04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I do not take chidlren if they have impetigo. It can be very nasty :(

miffy
04-07-2009, 06:42 PM
I do not take chidlren if they have impetigo. It can be very nasty :(

I don't either.

It's so easily spread.

Miffy xx