PDA

View Full Version : Advice about prickly heat quickish please!

Lady Haha
03-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Just got back from school pick and teacher told me one of my mindees has prickly heat. His arms are all red and blotchy! I don't know much about it, but he is dying to get out in the paddling pool and trampoline with everyone else! I have told him he can't and that I am asking my childminder friends what to do!!!

Can he go out or not? And whats the best treatment? I have put a cold flannel on each arm for now!

sarah707
03-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Get him in the pool it will cool him down! :clapping:

It's not catching, but it's very uncomfortable so as few clothes as possible but keep him out of the sun.

Lots of water to drink as well.

Not a lot else we can do as childminders...

If it was my own child I would be giving Piriton to ease the itching. Perhaps you can text parents to get some from the chemist on their way home :D

Mollymop
03-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey!!! Glad you asked this!!

My son has had this since yesterday ( he is 10) it is worse today, on his legs and arms, rather than just arms

His skin has gone all red/blotchy looking and the tops of his legs are covered in rash. He says he feels ok and it doesn't bother him at all! BUt it looks scarey!!!!

Is this prickly heat (heat rash??)

Lady Haha
03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Thank you Sarah! I now have one very happy little boy splashing around in the pool! I will do as you suggest and text parents too.

sarah707
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey!!! Glad you asked this!!

My son has had this since yesterday ( he is 10) it is worse today, on his legs and arms, rather than just arms

His skin has gone all red/blotchy looking and the tops of his legs are covered in rash. He says he feels ok and it doesn't bother him at all! BUt it looks scarey!!!!

Is this prickly heat (heat rash??)

Sounds like it! there is a lot of it about at the moment... it does look awful but it will disappear to nothing.

Lots of cool (not cold) showers / baths;

Keep in the shade;

Loose cotton clothes (not polyester or anything sweaty);

Calamine will cool it down;

Piriton will ease the itching;

Hydrocortisone is sometimes recommended but only use it if the alternatives are not working as it has contra indications when used on young skin.

Hth :D

sarah707
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Thank you Sarah! I now have one very happy little boy splashing around in the pool! I will do as you suggest and text parents too.

Great news! :clapping:

I believe ice cream or ice lollies help as well... always works for me :p

sonia ann
03-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Just got back from school pick and teacher told me one of my mindees has prickly heat. His arms are all red and blotchy! I don't know much about it, but he is dying to get out in the paddling pool and trampoline with everyone else! I have told him he can't and that I am asking my childminder friends what to do!!!

Can he go out or not? And whats the best treatment? I have put a cold flannel on each arm for now!

let him in the paddling pool.... cooling down is the best treatment, otherwise not a lot else to do ....lots of cool drinks wiil help too...its the skins reaction the sun rather than the child being unwell:)

sorry just read sarahs post....all the answers are there already:)

The Juggler
03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
my husband gets this really badly and antihistamine is only thing that cures it so piriton or similar on hand for next time.

Mollymop
03-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Sounds like it! there is a lot of it about at the moment... it does look awful but it will disappear to nothing.

Lots of cool (not cold) showers / baths;

Keep in the shade;

Loose cotton clothes (not polyester or anything sweaty);

Calamine will cool it down;

Piriton will ease the itching;

Hydrocortisone is sometimes recommended but only use it if the alternatives are not working as it has contra indications when used on young skin.

Hth :D

yes it did help me, thanks very much as always, sarah x

LOOPYLISA
03-07-2009, 06:07 PM
My dd used to get this, looks like a nettle rash :panic:

Hope hes feeling a little better in the pool :D