PDA

View Full Version : Getting them to nap

LaylaB
03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I thought it'd be easiest to ask this as a different thread. It sounds like the most obvious question in the world...and worrying coming from someone wanting to be a childminder :blush: however, how...logistically, if you have two children of a similar age how do you get them down for naps? Does anyone have any tips?

I kind of mean, what do you do with one while you sort out the other and so on.

thank-you, dont laugh :)

grindal
03-07-2009, 03:17 PM
DS1 is 3 yrs old, DS2 will be 2 in Sept and mindee is 11 months. After lunch DS1 takes himself into the front room and lies down on the sofa to watch a DVD. I take mindee and DS2 upstairs where I put them in clean nappies. I then put mindee in a cot in 1 room, and DS2 in his cot. Sometimes if DS2 is still eating i leave him in the kitchen while I sort mindee out. When I come downstairs I get an apple and drink for DS1 then I make myself a drink and put my feet up for an hour or so :laughing: :laughing:

madasahatter
03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
In my home it has depended on where they go to sleep. In the past I've had 1 on the sofa, 1 in spare bed and one in travel cot in my bedroom. More recently 1 in the travel cot and the other in the pushchair (as would only sleep for 15 mins in cot but 1.5 hours+ in pushchair and they really needed their sleep!).
It's all a matter of agreeing with parents what they want you to do (what are their choices over where to sleep etc) and what works best for you. Then getting the children to adapt to your routine so that you can have that longed for break with a nice cuppa!

huggableshelly
03-07-2009, 04:52 PM
i had 3 at one time all needing sleeps and no registered room upstairs.

each day the mindees would be in preschool, come to me for lunch then we all sat for a story on the sofa.

they then helped me to get their sleep mats and bedding out spread around the lounge then closed the curtains and played classical music. within 15 mins they were all asleep. as they work they went into the back part of the lounge for quiet play until all were awake.

now none sleep and my upstairs room is registered for a sleep room ... typical lol

rickysmiths
03-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I have all the rooms in my house registered.

I have 3 under fives and 4 on 2 days a week.

I aim to have finished lunch by 1 then I do one nappy change and put a nappy on one just potty trained one.

The near 2yr sleeps on the sofa and the 31/2 sleeps in a ready bed in the sitting room. The other two go upstairs one on a ready bed and one in a cot. They all sleep at the same time and usually for 1-2 hours.

The youngest one came to me at 6mths having been told he wouldn't settle to sleep never mind in a cot, they told me to put him in the buggy and rock him. Within a week he was sleeping soundly in a cot! He will sometimes have an hours sleep at 9am (he arrives with me at 7.30am).

TheBTeam
03-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I used to sleep two upstairs both in pushchairs, because they settled better than in cots, but the little ones i have now prefer to sleep downstairs and it is easier for me too.

After lunch and a nappy change they all lay down on large flat cushions covered in a sheet each and a small blanket each and as if by magic within minutes they are all asleep, this has been 5 at once!

The smaller babies sleep when needed in either a lie back chair, or pushchair, i have a travel cot but have never used it for minding!

TheBTeam
03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I used to sleep two upstairs both in pushchairs, because they settled better than in cots, but the little ones i have now prefer to sleep downstairs and it is easier for me too.

After lunch and a nappy change they all lay down on large flat cushions covered in a sheet each and a small blanket each and as if by magic within minutes they are all asleep, this has been 5 at once! They all lay usually in the conservatory or if too hot in the living/dining area. They often wake around the same time too and if one does wake unusually early they just play in the remaining space, which is more than enough.

The smaller babies sleep when needed in either a lie back chair, or pushchair, i have a travel cot but have never used it for minding!

OOH JUST COME BACK AND NOTICED IT LET ME DO IT TWICE, SORRY!

PixiePetal
03-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I have 2 just 2 year olds who sleep in buggies, in garden if nice or one in hall and other in kitchen - archway to sitting room. Tuck them in give them dummy/blanket and they are out like lights :thumbsup: Just 3 year old watches bit of cbeebies while I get my lunch and often drops off on the chair. I re adjust his position and leave him be.

I do have travel cot but need to sort out registering rooms, when we move, to fit it in.

ZoeAlli
03-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I change my mindees before lunch as they are quite tired and can often start to nod by the end of lunch. When finished ( with lunch) I put one in pram outside, mum is happy with this, the other goes in a lie back pushchair and is allowed to settle inside before joining the other outside. meanwhile, the other (3 years) one has some quiet time, usually reading a book or watching favourite program on tv whilst I tidy up lunch pots and prepare for when they're awake again (and also a much needed drink of tea)!!

katickles
03-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I have dd 2yrs, mindee 1yr & my baby of 12weeks. dd & mindee have lunch & then nappy changes before nap time. dd in her bedroom, mindee is still strapped in highchair while i nip her upstairs. Then mindee is cleaned up & goes in travel cot in my dining room. Finally baby has her bottle then down usually at the mo in her carrycot pram attatchment.

You will be amazed how quickly you & the children get into a routine :)

singlewiththree
04-07-2009, 04:10 AM
I have my 2children aged 4 and 21/2 who dont have naps and my mindee is 14mths. He has his nappy changed and given his bottle and put in the buggy to go to sleep. He sleeps in the cot at home but mum holds him till he is asleep, I share minding him and apparently he goes in the travel cot with the other minder but he screams blue murder in mine so I have decided its nicer to let him go in the pushchair as he seems to love it so much, the fleece lining might have something to do with it. I'm having him full time in Sept so I've agreed with mum that I will try and settle him in the travel cot then.

LaylaB
04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow thank-you, never expected so many useful tips! Maybe I will get it under control after all. I think its gettings your head around it...especially before you're doing it and before you have a routine. Thank-you for all the answers :)