PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diarys! Do you have 2 have them?

Ben10mad
03-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi.
I had my inspection just over a year ago and the inspecter didnt ask to see any daily diarys, I was doing them up untill then because i thought they might ask to see.
Any way reading through the reform every one seems to do them can i ask all of you do Ofsted now ask to read these?

Curly Quavers
03-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I do them because I feel they are the very best way to prove to the CC or Ofsted that you are providing parents with relevant information on a daily basis.

sarah707
03-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm the same - it's part of working with parents :D

ORKSIE
03-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I use them as a way of communicating with parents. I also add a picture now and then, i even let the children draw pictures in their diaries. The children love their diaries and really treasure them. Mrs OFSTED really liked my diaries.

Nicky
03-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I had my inspection about a month ago and the inspector asked if I did daily diarys, I do as part of my working with parents, and the inspector said that they were one of the best ways to communicate.
Nicky

Chimps Childminding
03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I do them just so that if I forget to mention something to a parent (especially if two lots of parents turn up at the same time) hopefully I will have made a note in the diary! Also it shows what and when babies have eaten, drunk, slept, nappy changes etc. so mum knows how they have got on that day :thumbsup:

hello kitty
03-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Had my inspection in May, inspector did not ask to see them.

Mollymop
03-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a few childminding friends that don't have diaries. I reakon there are lots and lots in my area that don't

But I think that if you want to show you're inspector that you are working well in partnership with parents, this would be a hit! My inpector seemed inpressed with my books and had a little read, I could hear her saying "oh very good", now and again.

You can also obtain valuable information, written and signed, from parents for your inspector to see how fab you are in these diaries!!

rickysmiths
03-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Well I'm one of those who doesn't do Daily Diarys. I tried years ago and got fed up of asking for things and still not getting them a week later or it would go home and never be seen again!

I did scrap books which had examples of work, photos etc., which would eventually go home when they were full and these have now evolved into the Learning Journeys. These go home every now and then and the parents write comments in them. I also have a Daily Diary of my own which records everything. Once or twice a year I put all the childrens photos onto a disc and give it to the parents.

I think there are all sorts of ways to show you are working with parents without a Daily Diary.

angeldelight
03-07-2009, 06:36 PM
I do a diary but it is kept very brief and it is only used to say what we have been doing that day and what they had for lunch etc

I use sheets that I give out for each new topic we are doing and they go home with parents and I involve them in our planning and ask them to bring things in by using these sheets
They seem to get more involved with these and only use the diarys sometimes to write comments

I think you should do whatever feels right for you but always make sure that you have some sort of record of communication between you and the parents

Angel xx

uf353432
03-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I only have daily diarys for my younger children (under 3), but all the under 5's get a learning journal. My learning journal is updated weekly with what they did that week and expands into obs and always has photos'. They all went home this weekend for the parents to look at along with questionnaires so I can get feedback. The daily diary is a small A6 notebook, and this just records essential info and brief description of any activities, parents write in that with anything I need to know day to day. But my parents also email me as well - so I can show many ways of communicating with parents in addition to good old fashion talking :)

John
03-07-2009, 07:38 PM
I use to do a day diary but never got them back or came back messy, with yuky stuff on them or kids been drawing in them etc. So i make a apointment evey month to talk to parent's what work their children as done. By doing this you can have a chat over a cupper and go though the things that little johnny as done and what needs to be done. It as worked well over the last two years.

John.

FussyElmo
04-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Since I started using the one's of here "in the night garden" they have become well used. The mindee loves them and call it her "diary book". Regular messages from the parents working really well:)

Before using the A5 book it never got brought back or written in!

Now my ofsted inspector recommended it as good practice as I wasnt doing one:)

Chatterbox Childcare
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I do them if the parent wants them. Only 1 so far in 15 years.

All the data for the children is in my planning, obs and photo's and that is what I show Ofsted.

Hebs
05-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Since I started using the one's of here "in the night garden" they have become well used. The mindee loves them and call it her "diary book". Regular messages from the parents working really well:)

Before using the A5 book it never got brought back or written in!

Now my ofsted inspector recommended it as good practice as I wasnt doing one:)

does anyone have a link to this one??
i have the sporticus ones and lola ones but not the in the night garden, my mindees love this so would be fab

sonia ann
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
my daughter has made me a tinkerbell and bob the builder one based on the dora one posted on here........:)

Hebs
05-07-2009, 02:23 PM
hiya

i already have the bob one, but the tink one is fab thanks

ORKSIE
05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
my daughter has made me a tinkerbell and bob the builder one based on the dora one posted on here........:)

I dont use the sheets, but they are lovely Sonia:)

Wiggly
05-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I use the daily A5 book on the Bromley Childminding Association website - hopefully link below:-

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/contactbooks.html

I have been using this for a long time with my mindee and her parents love it and fill it out everyday and return it in her bag. Works really well but I know not all parents are good with returning things.

Wiggly
x

miss mopple
05-07-2009, 07:10 PM
I do diaries for 2 out of 3 of my under 5's. One mum isnt remotely interested in having one so I dont bother. We natter for england though so thats good enough for her :laughing:

peanuts
06-07-2009, 07:01 AM
those two are lovely, i really like the tinkerbell one, but my mindee will love the bob the builder one

huggableshelly
06-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I do a daily diary for under 3's but I also offer to 3-5's too and have never had a parent state they would like one.

my under 3's I feel its needed as children are a little too young to relay their day and I always forget things so its easier for me to write it down.

the inspector asked me if I could show her a daily diary and she was fine with its content ... basic stuff like food nappies sleep and toys no eyfs goals etc as they are all in the learning journals that i send home once every 2 months.

estrelas
06-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I do one for all my under 5's, but only one goes home

The rest live here, for the parents to check if they want, the problem I have is sometimes I don't see the parent as we pick up and drop off at nursery
We always chat by phone later in the day. But I like to have it written down what we have eaten and any activities we have done
When the parents are at mine they do look through the diaries.
My little one goes home with him and his mum always return it usually with coments in too

Carol
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
When I had my ofsted inspection in May this year Mrs. Ofsted said I didnt need to do a daily diary for each child as I did a daily diary for myself. But I said I would continue doing them as the parents and children love them. So you cant win!!!!!:panic:

Carol xx