PDA

View Full Version : feeling really down about it all

mozarella
03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Started 5 weeks ago, two days a week ( days of 11 hours) and I find it really hard work, although I enjoy being with the children all the papers involved, accounts, planning observations etc is getting me down, not sure I am doing it right and I feel I still have to buy lots to get a noice choice of activities toys etc but cant afford it, have spent so much already !

Havewnt even looked online yet at the self assessment form, and I feel all my free time is taken by organising it and I only 2 days at the moment.

I havent even got time to sort the photos of my baby, organise his birthday party as I feel the priority is to sort the childminding.

Sorry, long moan,i just though it would be a bit easier

estrelas
03-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I felt like that alot in the begining too.

Then I decided just to chill out a bit as long as you have all your paperwork as in policies done then theres not alot else to do.

Learning journeys just keep very simple,mine takes me about 30 mins a week

At the begining I was organising loads of activities too, now i just have them read in case the kids get bored. Try not to do to much cos its really not worth getting stressed out about.

With regards to toys etc,i go to the car boot sale every sunday spend about 5 pounds, then rotate the toys. I haven't bought a single toy thats new yet!

Honestly you'll be fine xx

sonia ann
03-07-2009, 10:59 AM
you are not alone....even after quite a few years experience i am still getting to grips with it all......the answer is to keep it simple ....as Estrelas says ...as long as your policies etc are in place keep the obs etc to a minimum....use lots of photos if you can , i find that the best way

As for sef,....still haven't done it on line ....had it done as rough notes on paper for my inspection and that was fine ...however now the urgency has gone to get it submitted i just can't get up the enthusiasm to get it started...i keep putting it off:rolleyes:

But you'll be fine it does get easier there's always someone here to help:)

Polly2
03-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Oh please don't stress

I was exactly the same at the beginning I used to have a mini panic attack at pick up / drop off time too incase a parent was not happy.

Now I am much more chilled and don't think, sleep, eat, breathe childminding all the time :D

Once you have been doing it a while it will get easier - its like any job.

As for the toys - just build up gradually look at car boots charity shops ask around friends to see if they are having a sort out, freecycle is good also.

Hope you have a good day today xx

pinklady
03-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Hope it all gets easier for you.

Like everyone else says, don't stress too much or try to do too much. I keep learning journeys really simple and try to keep on top of all the other paperwork so that it's not such a daunting task.

Do you have a toy library near you? I'm always on freecycle and scour the charity shops like a mad woman :p

georgie456
03-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Sorry you are feeling down :( I think once you have everything set up in place, you'll find you start to spend less time on paperwork. Really all I can do is echo what the others have said - keep it simple hun. Hope you feel a bit brighter soon x

TheBTeam
03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi, it will all settle down, i think the more you do the job the more you will relax and just let things happen, you won't be so on edge to feel that you have to be doing something every minute of the day to be earning your money.

I also think with the paperwork that it is like a lot of new businesses, starting up takes a lot of time and effort, but when it is up and running and your are used to doing it and have found ways to make things quicker, easier etc this too will not seem such a commitment.

That said with childminding there is always something to be done, but you are just more prepared and relaxed about dealing with it! (most of the time):thumbsup:

newandlearning
03-07-2009, 12:29 PM
hi ya.. I don't think this is an odd feeling.. it can feel overwhelming at the beginning.. my suggestion would be to do your long term, medium term and short term planning.. as this will help you get your head around everything..
I felt like you for the first 3 months :eek: but this was because of doing all
the setting up of the Risk assessments, policies, forms etc etc.. the SEF..
planning blah blah.. plus trying to set up a good setting takes time, creativity
and money.. now let me jump forward.. nearly a year on.. I've got a brill ofsted
grade, wonderful resources which are still growing, a much more organised
environment.. and this summer I will be earning as much as my DH plus will be
looking after our LOs too.. I'm now really happy and am also very glad I didn't give up.. I now really enjoy my job and the fact that I'm offering children great memories which I hope they will look back with fondness later on..

Another BIG thing.. this forum is wonderful .. there are a great bunch of ladies and gents here who will offer you support and smiles... This forum has helped me loads with brainstorming and its been invaluable to me...

If you ever need help there will also be others here happy to help!!

Try by starting a list of things to do .. and break this list down each day or as regularly as you can.. start with the things you feel confident with .. and grow yourself and your business at a good pace for you.. I hope that helps and good luck.. its a great job and in deed a wonderful career..xx

Bananabrain
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh please don't stress

I was exactly the same at the beginning I used to have a mini panic attack at pick up / drop off time too incase a parent was not happy.

Now I am much more chilled and don't think, sleep, eat, breathe childminding all the time :D

Once you have been doing it a while it will get easier - its like any job.

As for the toys - just build up gradually look at car boots charity shops ask around friends to see if they are having a sort out, freecycle is good also.

Hope you have a good day today xx

My thoughts exactly. It does get easier and you learn strategies along the way and how to pre-empt things.

Gosh,I was a real mess when I started {actually physically shaking walking to school}:laughing:

You really,really shouldn't stress about toys and resources . I didn't have any girls things when I started having only one boy of my own. I used to buy one thing a week{mostly from charity shops} Got some fantastic bargains but you have to find a good one and go regularly.

Now my house is bursting at the seams with 'stuff'

It does get easier,it really does. Hang in there!

Trouble
03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
i still feel like that but then theres the funny moments that keep you going

My perfect job is in the paper today soooooo tempted:)

Lady Haha
03-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Yes, I agree. It definately gets easier with time! You get into a routine. Like others have said, the toys build up over time too and car boots are brilliant for that!

Even with all the stress and pressure you feel at the moment, keep telling yourself that this really is the best job in the world for you!!! You may feel like you are neglecting your own child, but if you were in a different job, you would be using childcare yourself and feel even worse!!!

The Juggler
03-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Even those of us who have been childminding for a few years before EYFS are finding it hard. It takes a while to find a system which suits you and which doesn't take too long.

I reckon tops one obs of each child per week. Maybe just plan next steps monthly.

I keep all my receipts and do my accounts yearly, just keep a sheet with monthly income.

I've just settled into my system it's taken me a year. However, most of my stuff is on my PC so now I have to print and download everything for the learning journeys which will take me an age. Once I've done that I can then just do it all monthly which will be much easier.

Might be worthing buying one or two of Sarah's e-books to help you as she's got it pretty well sussed.

Also don't spend heaps. most expensive things you need are your own pc and a camera. Lots of things round the house you can use and some basic toys. Try your local resource centre, car boots, school fairs at this time of year. my local library also sells off all it's old stock couple of times a year and you can get a carrier bag for a few pounds.

Definitely shop around and look on netmums too - nearly new, free etc. Just splash out on the big items now and again.

beckyteddy
05-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Couldn't agree more with all the others......keep your chin up, keep a smile on your face and it will all calm down in a month or so, once you've got a bit more confidence about what a brilliant job you are doing :)

angeldelight
05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
I agree with everyone else

Like you said yourself though it is early days and you will soon start to feel better about it all

You have us to come and chat with also so what could be better

Hope you are ok

Angel xx

mozarella
06-07-2009, 03:54 PM
thank you, I feel better today, thanks for your advice and kind words

venus89
06-07-2009, 05:23 PM
So glad you feel a bit happier today. It truly does get easier over time. I was such a perfectionist about everything when I started - I eneded up doing two copies of most of my work without even realising! Relax and enjoy xx