PDA

View Full Version : What multi - cultural and disability toys, books, etc do you have?

berkschick
18-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I was thinking last night that I really need to get some more multi-cultural and disability things.

What does everyone have?

I have books, multi-cultural duplo men and a doll.

I know I need to get quite a few more bits but dont know where to start and what to get!

Banana
18-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I have a couple of dolls and some books. Need to make a new 'we are all different' poster as the last one got a bit ruined.

Not got loads and could do with some more things

x

miffy
18-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm sure Sarahnev had a list somewhere of multicultural resources but don't kknow where I've seen it so here are a few of mine

small world people - duplo, little tykes, fisher price, playmobil, happyland

home corner - different breads of the world, chinese wok and bowls and chopsticks, small balti dishes (tesco), pizza set, indian and chinese restaurant role play packs free from sparklebox

jigsaws/felt boards - various ones with multicultural figures or make your own by cutting up and laminating pictures from internet or magazines

posters - make your own I use pictures from newspapers and magazines- the ABC poster at www.childmindersresources.com is very good and the ADAE one too

puppets - use www.makingfriends.com paper dolls and outfits for many countries/cultures also have dolls in wheelchair and with glasses

dressing up clothes - charity shops are a good source for these as they can be really expensive to buy

flags of the world - children love making these - link them to a country, get some travel brochures and make a poster about that country - ofsted love things like this and you can expand it to cover lots of other things like food, homes, clothing etc

photos and books - oxfam and unicef websites have lovely photos you can print off and I've picked up lots of books from charity shops for pennies

Hope that helps
Miffy xx

crazybones
18-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I ordered these last night.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BN-Multicultural-Childminder-Musical-Instrument-Set_W0QQitemZ110225395126QQihZ001QQcategoryZ80546Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQ cmdZViewItem

it looks like she has a few to sell. No post and packing really pleased. Let you know what they are like at the end of the week

Annie x

miffy
18-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the link and that reminded me The Works often have musical instruments from other cultures cheap

Miffy xx

sarah707
18-02-2008, 12:09 PM
My lists are pinned to the top of this thread... hope they help! :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

ajs
18-02-2008, 12:13 PM
i have some lovely little dolls in various different traditional costume
they came from a shop in town but they often sell them on ebay

i keep mine in a basket with flags an atlas some postcards and some other stuff.
i also have some multicultural beanie baby dolls
and loads of books and posters and puzzles

littletreasures
18-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I got a great wheelchair from buildabear. It is suitable for the bears from there, but also dolls about the size of baby annabel. Also got a poorly pack from there which has a crutch and plaster cast for foot (all fabric)#

Jules

miffy
18-02-2008, 01:16 PM
I got a great wheelchair from buildabear. It is suitable for the bears from there, but also dolls about the size of baby annabel. Also got a poorly pack from there which has a crutch and plaster cast for foot (all fabric)#

Jules

Have you got a website for this Jules - sorry but I've never heard of buildabear

Miffy xx

littletreasures
18-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Miffy,

Buildabear is a shop where you can stuff a bear and name it. They do all sorts of bears and other cuddly animals, and then you can buy clothes and accessories for them.

My girls have a few and my youngest had loads of clothes for hers.

When I went to Canada, I had a teddy made for childminding. It has a button to push and the voice has a canadia accent asking the children if they will be its friend etc. I bought it a Canadia Mountie uniform. Thought it would be good for Ofsted as we are going to find out about Canada and mark it on the map. He even came with his own Canadian passport!! and come with a birth certificate.

Here's the link: http://www.buildabear.co.uk/shop/searchresults.aspx?keywords=wheelchair

Can't find the poorly pack though. They do have a medical kit, which I am tempted to get.

Jules

miffy
18-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Thank you Jules

Your canada idea sounds lovely

Miffy xx

littletreasures
18-02-2008, 01:41 PM
They do lots of other outfits from different countries, but can only be ordered from America, which would bump the price up, but I know the kids would love it.

Jules

littletreasures
18-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Just found this website, its got some great disability bits on it. I love the seeing dog and cane.
http://www.msma.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=180
Jules

jmoff
18-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Great ideas, thanks.

I also have puzzles and books from Mark and Spencers.

I also want to make a multicultural laminated book for kiddies to look at.

Jana

tulip0803
18-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I got some Indian shalwar kameez sets of ebay for 99p each.

Whenever anyone you know goes abroad ask them to bring you something back - I have a spanish flamenco dress, a thai outfit, a thai sarong, a french children's song tape, Australian headscarves and t-shirts (slip, slap, slop very hot on sun safety out there). I haven't used the Thai kick boxing shorts that my brother got me as I am sure that I should not be encouraging that:eek: .
Although I suppose it is a valid Thai activity and it would promote physical activity:rolleyes: .

Juliaxx

ajs
18-02-2008, 06:03 PM
They do lots of other outfits from different countries, but can only be ordered from America, which would bump the price up, but I know the kids would love it.

Jules

hi jules we have a build a bear shop in meadowhall sheffield so maybe they will do mail order. would certainly be cheaper then coming from the u.s

manjay
18-02-2008, 06:15 PM
hi jules we have a build a bear shop in meadowhall sheffield so maybe they will do mail order. would certainly be cheaper then coming from the u.s

We have one in Chester. It used to be the Bear Factory! I hadn't thought about looking in there.

amanda xx

littletreasures
18-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Unfortunately, the international outfits are only available from the US. They only do a scottish outfit and UK guard outfit here.

Jules

Tily Bud
18-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the wheelchair link x