PDA

View Full Version : Before and afterschoolers, what have you been doing with them??

emmadines
02-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I have been letting them play in the paddling pool obviously caked in sun lotion, other then that I have allowed them to free play.......is thta ok??

Mrs.L.C
02-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Sounds like what i do and I dont see a problem with it. they are at school all day with structured activities/lessons so they need time to be independant and do the things kids should do

PaulaR
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
it depends how old they are. A five year old might not have enough energy for anything but free play. I offer hama beads and lately the older ones made a papier mache ballon, adding one layer every few days. the parents want to see that you are makign an effort as they are paying you but I feel it is more relaxed

huggableshelly
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
providing you have risk assessed yes ......... I also have permissions off parents to use the pool under supervision for holiday children only as too many after schoolers to watch safely.

mine love the water squirters, flicking brushes, chalking then scrubbing it off again and more craft indoors too.

emmadines
02-07-2009, 11:40 AM
it depends how old they are. A five year old might not have enough energy for anything but free play. I offer hama beads and lately the older ones made a papier mache ballon, adding one layer every few days. the parents want to see that you are makign an effort as they are paying you but I feel it is more relaxed

sorry 1st post wasnt clear, I normally do an activity or two with them a week but as soon as the 10 year old pipes up "i dont want to then they all follow so free play there..... Im ment during this hot weather, they dont want to sit indoors and the dont want to do anything.. I want to do something with them but its sooo hot..

oo my gardens quiet shady so they are not in contsant direct sun and they have hats on too

Lady Haha
02-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Mine have been free play indoors and out in the paddling pool. As a rule I only spend about half an hour max doing something structured after tea anyway! And this is only helping with homework for four days! One day a week we do something to do with our 'theme' for the month, usually making something or reading a book and having a discussion.

One of mine got picked up yesterday having spent two hours in the pool, she was dressed but still looked bedraggled! Mum smiled and said 'look at the state of her'. She did think it was funny but I did feel abit embarrassed to be sending her daughter home in that state, so I said 'well, at least they always look like they've had fun here by the time they leave!'

Andrea08
02-07-2009, 11:54 AM
my after school mindees are the same too hot to be bothered then board!!!

i did say they could learn to do house work but they soon found something to do,

we went for a walk and found some shade and collected leaves etc

x x x

The Juggler
02-07-2009, 01:47 PM
jubblies in the den made out of sheets and little tikes, then water pistols or TV in the cool. Drawing in the kitchen. I never struture activities after school, just leave a few games out all the drawing/making stuff and dressing up and let them chill - they've been hard at it for 6 hours all day at school.

venus89
02-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I have one for an hour before school. He has breakfast here so no time really to do anything but free play - he seems happy with that

Daftbat
02-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Mine all have constant access to arts and crafts, drawing etc after school. I provide things that fit in with the themes i have done in planning. They also use the board games, playing cards and dressing up clothes as well as the the garden.