PDA

View Full Version : being afraid of flies, spiders, etc

aly
02-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I have one mindee who seems to be afraid of everything..whereas before she wasn't
Not usre if its because of the warm/hot weather now they seem to be out everywhere but im thinking also mum is mollycoddling [sp] a bti too.

SHould I do something in a way of getting her mucked in with playing / talking / looking at spiders etc.

I can't hide her from flies for goodness sakes but she screams

grrrrrr

angeldelight
02-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Well if anyone gives you some good advice maybe it will help me

A few times this week I have stubbed my toe, tripped over the dog again , knocked a chair over , made the kids jump , made Steve almost drop his drink ........all because butterflies keep attacking me :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry I know its stupid but if you are scared of something its really hard to stop your fears

Distraction is the best though - try and quick point at something else or do something else or take her indoors to get a drink - just dont mention it so much and hopefully she will forget about them

Angel xx

Lady Haha
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I have one like this too! Screams if there's a fly in the house! Like you said, what can you do about flies, especially when you have the patio door open! She used to scream at bees and wasps too, but I always calmly help them outside, by opening a window where they are trying to get out etc

This is especially relevant to me, because I had a huge spider phobia for years and years and I'm sure my mum started it and then helped it get worse without meaning to! My first memory is of my mum screaming when a spider ran across the draining board. I seemed to have got my fear after that and screamed every time I saw a spider so my mum would then 'rescue' me by catching it and putting it outside. As the years went by, it got worse, I would shake and sweat and be close to panic attacks when I saw one! I used to check everysingle wall, curtain etc in a room before I could go in and sit down!

This all ended six years ago when I went on a Spider Course at London Zoo. It cost me 100 quid, but I am cured!

Sorry to ramble, but I just think it's really important to try and be as calm as possible when they are screaming and if you do put the things outside, to get the kids to have a look at them in the glass first and go on about how remarkable they are etc etc!!!

Anyway, still fighting the mindees fly phobia, cos can't put them out and I can't say they won't hurt you either cos the kids know they spread germs etc!

Spangles
02-07-2009, 11:42 AM
My son is the same! It's so stressful for him and me!

It's a pain in the bum because he knows they are 'dirty' and spread germs so that just makes it worse! Little ones he shoos away and he sings 'shoo fly don't bother me' but bigger flies he shakes and screams and cries!

Wish I knew the answer but apparently I was exactly the same when I was his age!

aly
02-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I dont mind spiders...my 1st boyfriend had a tarantula :p
i will pick spiders up and take them out [if im quick enough to pickt hem up that is]
Si will call me if there is one that needs [removing] as he doesn't like them :rolleyes:

We sat down earlier singing Incy Wincy then I showed her a spider which she screamed at then we followed it with her firmly attached to me. I think it will be a slow process but if i keep he interested in spiders then it shouldnt bother her.

i l ike the 'Shoo fly dont bother me' so will try that too.

ANother thing was the dog.which is out the back and she has been coming over to mine even beforeI was reg'd with mum so why now I dont know.

Polly2
02-07-2009, 02:12 PM
How about doing a minibeast topic - or would that make it worse?

ZoeAlli
02-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I do not do well with creepy crawlies or flies myself, however I do try to stay calm when I am around the children. When it comes to spiders, thankfully my dd loves them and is unafraid in picking them up, so when she is around I ask her to sort it. I have a fly swat for the flies ( sorry but much as I love God's creatures I do not like them where they do not belong- mainly in my house!!), which my 2 1/2year old son likes to use( not always for the flies)(It was clean!! now it has been used is put out of reach!).
As for solutions could you start by looking in books at some, then progress to paper ones( making them) and then getting some plastic ones before finally approaching real ones (in glass jars etc).

venus89
02-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Suggest putting a packet of sweets in a plastic container full of creepy crawlies, I'm a Celebrity style..... :laughing:

aly
02-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Suggest putting a packet of sweets in a plastic container full of creepy crawlies, I'm a Celebrity style..... :laughing:

:eek:
lmao lol

I spoke to mum earlier and she said dad was the same when younger. I said I would work with her in tryin to come across her phobia.

kids eh!