PDA

View Full Version : WOULD YOU HOLD A SWINE FLU PARTY?

angeldelight
02-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Are people serious ?

http://www.btbetterworld.com/pg/developing_skills/free_resources/The_People_Who_Help_Us_Classroom_Pack/home.ikml

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/02/2614331.htm?section=world

Say if your child happened to be one of the few that died you would never forgive yourself would you ?

What do you all think ?

Angel xx

Angela234
02-07-2009, 06:59 AM
I heard about that yesterday one moment everyone is panicking about it now they want to catch it!!:panic:

FizzysFriends
Im not understanding the concept, people want to build imunity but the swine flu is excepted to mutate before it gets worse in the winter so you wouldn't be immune would you?

angeldelight
I heard about that yesterday one moment everyone is panicking about it now they want to catch it!!:panic:

Yes Angela how very weird :laughing:

Are you going to hold one ? :laughing:

Angel xx

TheBTeam
02-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Think they are mad, but then i have never agreed with Chicken pox parties for just the same reason that if my child ended up with one of the rare serious cases i would never forgive myself!!

Angela234
02-07-2009, 07:23 AM
No Angel don't think i wil

FussyElmo
02-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Absolutely not I can't deal with man flu never mind swine flu:laughing:

miffy
02-07-2009, 07:50 AM
I mentioned this the other day in Monkey's thread - hubby had seen it on the internet.

I think it's very bizarre. I definitely wouldn't want to go to one - knowing my luck I'd catch it!

Miffy xx

Blackhorse
02-07-2009, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't go to one, but there is something to be said for the thought that you might gain some sort of immunity before it gets worse..(even if it mutates you might still have a better chance of fighting the virus of next time round)
I think all the people that died in the UK from swine flu had sever medical conditions already
there is some logic behind it I think.
obviously nobody wants to get the swine flu (or normal flu) but if you were to get it I'd rather have a weaker strain of it and would hope for some protection from it later on...

they do it with chickenpox don't they, and people can also die from chickenpox....

angeldelight
02-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't go to one, but there is something to be said for the thought that you might gain some sort of immunity before it gets worse..(even if it mutates you might still have a better chance of fighting the virus of next time round)
I think all the people that died in the UK from swine flu had sever medical conditions already
there is some logic behind it I think.
obviously nobody wants to get the swine flu (or normal flu) but if you were to get it I'd rather have a weaker strain of it and would hope for some protection from it later on...

they do it with chickenpox don't they, and people can also die from chickenpox....

But how do you know that you would get a weaker strain of it ?

Angel xx

Blackhorse
02-07-2009, 09:09 AM
because at the moment the swine flu in the UK is very mild from what you hear...(as I said apart from the people with severe pre-existing medical conditions)
most of the swine flu sufferers seem to be recovering well and at home.

and they said they expect the flu to come back in autumn much worse, and from what l know about how the immune system works, I think it might be in certain circumstances better to be exposed to this milder virus now and hope your body can re-cognise the virus again even if mutated and stronger in autumn should you catch it again

I would not go out deliberately to try and catch it, but I think if I were to catch it by accident so to speak there might be certain advantages...

angeldelight
02-07-2009, 09:15 AM
because at the moment the swine flu in the UK is very mild from what you hear...(as I said apart from the people with severe pre-existing medical conditions)
most of the swine flu sufferers seem to be recovering well and at home.

and they said they expect the flu to come back in autumn much worse, and from what l know about how the immune system works, I think it might be in certain circumstances better to be exposed to this milder virus now and hope your body can re-cognise the virus again even if mutated and stronger in autumn should you catch it again

I would not go out deliberately to try and catch it, but I think if I were to catch it by accident so to speak there might be certain advantages...

My daughter in law has it

She is really unwell and the way she has been feeling I really would not wish it on anyone

Angel xx

Blackhorse
02-07-2009, 09:20 AM
My daughter in law has it

She is really unwell and the way she has been feeling I really would not wish it on anyone

Angel xx

I hope she will be better soon. I don't want to wish it on anyone either, don't get me wrong. I just belive that once you had it you might have a better resistance against a future outbreak, that's all!

angeldelight
02-07-2009, 09:25 AM
I hope she will be better soon. I don't want to wish it on anyone either, don't get me wrong. I just belive that once you had it you might have a better resistance against a future outbreak, that's all!

No I never thought for one moment you would wish it on anyone :laughing: :laughing:

Just curious to know why anyone would have these parties - just because I would not then it is still interesting to hear other peoples views that was the reason for posting

Knowing my luck I will get it in the winter months when like you say it is supposed to be worse

Angel xx

LOOPYLISA
02-07-2009, 09:27 AM
The last time i had flu, i caught pleurisy and pneumonia, i was very ill, hubby did everything for me for 3 weeks, i wouldn't wish it on anyone :panic:

And this all started from the flu, i am now down for a flu jab this year, :rolleyes:

A party no way :eek:

Spangles
02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
No, I wouldn't.

The health people - whoever they are - are seriously advising against it as they are doing all they can to stop the spread of it and people are going out and catching it on purpose. Some of those people in turn will then pass it on to people who don't want to catch it and for whom it's dangerous. I think it's really irresponsible.

What's the point anyway when it's likely to mutate so they can still get it in winter as they'll have no immunity. They will put themselves through flu for absolutely no good reason.

loocyloo
02-07-2009, 01:34 PM
oooo, my mum has just rung, my stepnephew (10) has swine flu, as has ( most probably - just waiting for results ) my nephew 18mths.

my mum saw them over the weekend, and on monday night, and saw me and my children plus minded children monday and tuesday afternoons!

so ... might have had a 'party' without meaning to!

Trouble
02-07-2009, 01:57 PM
there has just been a case confirmed up here:(

ZoeAlli
02-07-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't think I would hold one.
I would like to know have they stopped all flights into the country? why? Because we are an island, a point where there is a lot of to-ing (?sp) and fro-ing which surely is not helping with the control of the spread of swine flu!
My sister lives in North Mexico and has said that the outbreak in Mexico was not that bad, she said that more people die of normal flu on a daily basis than that of swine flu. I feel going on the present information swine flu is hitting this country harder than where it was first detected (Mexico), and my question is, is this because of the amount of incoming and outgoing journeys to other countries?
I have a natural immunity (never had flu) to flu but knowing what others go through with it ( such as Loopylisa- so sorry, hope that you don't get that again), wouldn't wish it on, never mind have a party to get it for anyone!!

claireodon
02-07-2009, 06:45 PM
But is it really hitting this country harder or is it just that we have better diagnosis, more likely to go to GP, etc? Personally, I don't know why everyone is getting so panicked - its the flu...

FussyElmo
02-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Well this is the latest on swine flu

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/04April/Pages/Swineflulatest.aspx

Basically because of how many cases there is and still rising they are moving it from containment to treatment phase.

Apparantley the dr can diagnose over the phone:eek:

But they say schools should close if they is a high number of cases.

FizzysFriends
02-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Im getting the jab as soon as its out!

FizzysFriends
02-07-2009, 07:21 PM
But is it really hitting this country harder or is it just that we have better diagnosis, more likely to go to GP, etc? Personally, I don't know why everyone is getting so panicked - its the flu...

But the flu kills people.

LOOPYLISA
02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
But the flu kills people.

It gave me pneumonia, i wouldnt wish it on anyone :panic:

8 months on im still suffering, i now have mild asthma, weak lungs, sorry flu CAN kill

LOOPYLISA
02-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't think I would hold one.
I would like to know have they stopped all flights into the country? why? Because we are an island, a point where there is a lot of to-ing (?sp) and fro-ing which surely is not helping with the control of the spread of swine flu!
My sister lives in North Mexico and has said that the outbreak in Mexico was not that bad, she said that more people die of normal flu on a daily basis than that of swine flu. I feel going on the present information swine flu is hitting this country harder than where it was first detected (Mexico), and my question is, is this because of the amount of incoming and outgoing journeys to other countries?
I have a natural immunity (never had flu) to flu but knowing what others go through with it ( such as Loopylisa- so sorry, hope that you don't get that again), wouldn't wish it on, never mind have a party to get it for anyone!!

It was awful :panic: x

claireodon
02-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Agreed, the flu does kill people...but we do not hear this same hysteria about flu where we are calling for schools to close, airports to stop letting people come and go from the country, etc. And the people who die (of normal flu or swine flu) are generally particularly vulnerable health-wise. The majority of the (reasonably healthy) population will simply be ill and get over it. So I can sort of understand people having swine flu parties because, like chicken pox, it is one more illness out of the way and the child's immune system is that little bit stronger. (That is assuming that the parents who do it have not got children who have underlying health problems).

Just to add, I am not trying to undermine individual people's experiences and I feel for the people who have had health problems caused by flu, I just think one individual's case does not warrant mass panic!

LOOPYLISA
02-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Agreed, the flu does kill people...but we do not hear this same hysteria about flu where we are calling for schools to close, airports to stop letting people come and go from the country, etc. And the people who die (of normal flu or swine flu) are generally particularly vulnerable health-wise. The majority of the (reasonably healthy) population will simply be ill and get over it. So I can sort of understand people having swine flu parties because, like chicken pox, it is one more illness out of the way and the child's immune system is that little bit stronger. (That is assuming that the parents who do it have not got children who have underlying health problems).

Just to add, I am not trying to undermine individual people's experiences and I feel for the people who have had health problems caused by flu, I just think one individual's case does not warrant mass panic!

I get what your saying hun :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
02-07-2009, 09:51 PM

that is pretty much what I am thinking...
the only thing I have to admit though (which is what is slightly concerning me) is the POTENTIAL of swine flu to turn into something very nasty indead..worse than the normal?? flu which can already kill people...