PDA

View Full Version : britain and french way of childminding

eimpi
01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
sorry i already posted the question when i arrived in the forum but i cannot find my post:blush: :blush: :blush:

here in france we have got a visit by a member of social and child care in our house and then a training of 60 hours . tHEN once started, another training of 60 hours but no diploma in the end.
We are allowed up to 4 kids : two up to 2years and and over two years old plus one who goes to school IF We don't have kids on our own and enough space.

I saw on your forum , some look after more than five kids : is it possible ???
can you live on your own with your wages ???
do you have to get a diploma???

Ripeberry
01-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi welcome to the forum! :) Interesting to hear what they do in other countries. What do they teach you in those 60hrs? Is it similar to the EYFS?
How expensive is childcare in France compared to the UK?
Je parle un peu de Francais, mais mon ordinateur n'ecrit pas les mots Francais, quel domage! :(

Monkey1
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
We can usually have three under 5 and 3 over 5 as long as our own children don't come in these age gaps. They are trying to get everyone up to a level 3 / or equivalent NVQ.

eimpi
02-07-2009, 04:19 PM
DURing the training , you have got communication with parents and children, food, different children, psychology , first aid.......

for the money it depends from the area , minimum is 2,20euros an hour , i take 2,50euros an hour and we have 3 euro per day to help for electricity toys ...........
Where do you take your EYFS ??? is it at school??? is it a diploma ???
YOU do really well in :clapping: french ripeberry

thank you monkey, that makes a lot 8 kids ouah !!!!!!!!!!!

Pipsqueak
02-07-2009, 04:50 PM
aah but in addition to the those 6 - we can have another further 5 or 6 (over the age of 8) depending on what your insurance says. Madness:rolleyes: :D

Our training - we have to complete the ICP (Introduction to Childcare Practice) which is 15 hours, first aid (12 hours) and thats it. The rest of our professional development is up to us. Some local authorities are brilliant at providing training (I am lucky to be in one such area). I am currently studying my foundation degree (funded - again very lucky).

The EYFS is the framework for under 5's that we work to. Again there is no particular formal training, hence all the uproar and uncertainty about it all.

The costs vary around the country from £2.50 per hour up to £10 per hour.#

Childminders in this country are very much under rated, under valued (inlcuded by others in similar roles) and mis understood.

tulip0803
02-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Each area of the UK has a different registering body. So only minders in England do EYFS. They are inspected by the same people that inspect schools and nurseries.

I am in Wales and do not have to do EYFS although everything else is similar. I am inspected by the same people that do nurseries and old people's homes:D . They have been known to send me letters for the old people's home across the road:rolleyes: . I can only have a total of 6 minded children under 16 & my own 2 (11,5 - my son is now 17) due to local council planning rules but I can only take 6 inc mine in the car so I am more limited than that in reality, live up in the hills.

Scotland and Northern Ireland are different again.

All childminders are self-employed and we have to take expenses off our fees before we can get an earning figure, we don't get given anything for extra for electricity or toys, we have to take it all out of our fees - I charge £3 per hour per child - but I was charging £3 5 years ago where I used to live so prices vary a lot

Andrea08
02-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Hello and i hope you feel very welcome

I live in a small town called Blackpool, i can care for 6 children under 8yrs old and a further 6 children over 8yrs old

i charge £3 hr or £150 week per child but we dont always have that amout of children at once

at the moment i have only over 8yr olds but hoping to get more work and a little baby

please feel free to look around our forum and ask any questions you like we are a very friendly bunch of childminders and help each other as much as we can.

your English is very good but im sure there are friends on the forum that speak french to help if needed

nice to meet you
lv andrea

Pipsqueak
02-07-2009, 08:18 PM
so in France do you have the troublesome parents as well eimpi? the problem payers and/or the unreasonable demands and expectations