PDA

View Full Version : salads that arent!

mushpea
30-06-2009, 12:43 PM
hi want to do some salads in the evenings for the children for tea but have one child that wont eat any kind of salad stuff so am sort of stuck of what to give him, did think of grapes, apple and carrot slices, but this would get boring all the time.
also what about the other mindees if they then want what he has? they could have all the same but really wanted them to eat salad as i know they all like it and dont want to start a wave of fussy eaters:eek:

Helen79
30-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Could you do potato salad or cold pasta salad as well as having leafy salad stuff.

mushpea
30-06-2009, 12:53 PM
he eats cold potatos but doesnt like any type of sauce, mayo , dressing etc!!

The Juggler
30-06-2009, 01:16 PM
or a couscous/roast veg type?

katickles
30-06-2009, 01:29 PM
try putting humous on the side :)

I would do like you said with lettuce, grapes, sliced strawberries, carott sticks, cucumber sticks & a big dollop of houmous - yum!!!

You can like said above, add pasta salads.

What about getting te child to help chop up & make a home-made coleslaw type thing??

Also maybe add some criped bacon:idea:

mushpea
30-06-2009, 03:48 PM
mmm the crisp bacon sound good, things like rice, couscous he wont touch, and hummous and any dips are a big no no, will be glad when he has had his sensory assesment on friday so i know if its him being a fussy pain or somthing else!!

katickles
30-06-2009, 03:54 PM
you could make a chopped salad - almost like a salsa type thing, chopped small mushrooms, onions, tomatoes & peppers & then stuff a pepper with it & oven bake.

Not quite a salad but using salad things & really yummy - would that kind of thing work?

newandlearning
30-06-2009, 04:26 PM
hi ya.. how about doing a rice salad.. its basic and easy to make do rice, cook soya beans and sweetcorn in same pot at same time.. rinse till cold .. add mayo.. avocado, toms, shreded lettuce and bacon, or anything else you fancy.xx I've really got into shreding recently... look at anabelle karmel website she's filled with ideas.. could do kebabs of veg or fruit.. the kids love making them and this follows to them enjoying eating them.xx

:doh: just saw he doesn't like rice.. what about pasta or rice which has a different texture like risotto .. my little boy didn't like rice so I started doing risotto and calling it pasta ;) ..

grindal
30-06-2009, 05:14 PM
We still eat soups in the summer - I make a big pan of something with vegetables and lentils in it. in the winter it is stew, and in the summer becomes dahl!!

Louise_Oaktree
30-06-2009, 05:37 PM
What about veggie pizza? Can eat it cold or hot with salad but hide peppers, mushrooms, pineapple, onions, tomatoes etc on the pizza ;) Also fruit and veg kebabs :D

Chell
30-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Sweetcorn is nice cold in a salad, would he eat that? My own children love croutons in a salad.

Someone else mentioned kebabs. My children love BBQ'd veggies kebabs at the moment but you could do them with raw peppers, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, etc.

rickysmiths
01-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Why do you need to do salad? If he doesn't like it why bother. I remember my two didn't eat any form of salad until they were about 8 and then what they would eat was limitted. Even now at 16 and 15 neither eat tomatoes and only one eats cucumber.

They eat loads of veg and fruit so I make things like sheperds pie, fish pie, homemade meatballs etc all year round. They have veg, dh and I have salad.

angeldelight
01-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Oh my children were the same never liked salad but now they are older they all love it

If they are not going to eat it then I would not force it but maybe leave a little out now and again with sandwiches etc and maybe they might help them selves one day

You could also get them to help prepare it and do something like an open ham sandwich they could do a funny face on the top using cucumber and other salad ingredients - kids always seem to eat it more this way

Angel xx

Pudding Girl
01-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Could you not put all the components for the salad that isn't a salad out in seperate bowls and let them all dig in and pick the bits they like? And offer wraps/rolls or something to bulk it out?

mushpea
01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Why do you need to do salad? If he doesn't like it why bother. I remember my two didn't eat any form of salad until they were about 8 and then what they would eat was limitted. Even now at 16 and 15 neither eat tomatoes and only one eats cucumber.

They eat loads of veg and fruit so I make things like sheperds pie, fish pie, homemade meatballs etc all year round. They have veg, dh and I have salad.

he is 8!!!:rolleyes: my daughter and the other children love salads so this is why i wanted to do them , we do lots of other foods, its just hard cause theres so much he wont have due to textures of foods, sweetcorn he wouldnt eat either, hes ok with some cooked veg and he'll eat most kinds of fruit, infact i have to watch how much fruit he eats cause he pigs out on it!!