PDA

View Full Version : use of a fire guard

abba1772
17-02-2008, 07:55 PM
i am having my pre-reg inspection soon and was wondering do we need to have a fire guard as it won't be in use and it was used for coal but we don't use it, we just put candles in it.

many thanks abba1772

sarah707
17-02-2008, 07:58 PM
You have to risk assess it and show how you keep children safe around the fire... this does not necessarily mean you need a fire guard if you can show you make it safe in other ways :D

angeldelight
17-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I have never had a fire guard

Like Sarah said just make sure you are aware of dangers etc

Angel xx

miffy
18-02-2008, 07:50 AM
I don't have a fireguard around my gas fire but I don't use it - there has never been any problem with this from Ofsted's point of view

Miffy xx

crazybones
18-02-2008, 08:06 AM
I asked about this on here a couple of weeks ago and have decided to use a display board in front of unused fire (if they ever arrive) just to stop them touching the coals. It can then be put away at night.

Annie x

Heaven Scent
19-02-2008, 11:41 AM
When I was childminding many years ago under the old Social Services System everyone needed to have a fireguard and have it screwed securely to the wall but now under Ofsted who are more interested in paper exercises we just need to show that we know how to keep children safe around fire.

If you want to show that you keep them safe with the hearth you could always have a thick hearth rug that you pull up over the sharp edge to prevent injury which is what my mother used to do when her grand children were small but is only safe when the fire is not lit.

An option that came up at my pre reg session was tht some woman in winsford had taped pipe lagging around the edge of the the hearth a bit unsightly and possible a bit extreme if you ask me.

Just like with your own children if you supervise the children well and make them aware of the dangers then and show that you are doing on your risk assessment then everything should be ok.

I have a fire guard in the garage just in case we ever have a power cut and need to light the fire but I am very fortunate that I don't use the room with the fire for my childminding so it is not a huge problem.

At the end of the day your house has still got to be a home for you and your family and you have every right to have it how you want it when you are not minding other peoples children my advice to you is to think carefully before you make any permanent changes to your home so long as you manage risks in your home with care and regard for the safety of the children in your care that is all you are expected to do.

When I bought this house my garden was planted with a lot of Ivy and I had a choice as to whether I got rid of the ivy or errect a fence around the planted area I chose to get rid of the Ivy as I am not that fond of it and although it is an ongoing chore I prefer to let the children have the freedom to explore the other plants in the garden than to restrict their access however for another childminder it might have suited them better to fence off the area.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

Celine :clapping:

crazybones
19-02-2008, 11:58 AM
After reading your post about the lagging I have just had an :idea:
Those corner sponges used for the corner of tables. Thank you this has just solved my last worry about removing my fire guard.

Annie x

ruby
19-02-2008, 02:57 PM
we are with the C.S.S.I.W

and have to have a fire guard and it must be bolted to the wall although
we do not use the fire.

Polly2
19-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Me too :(

I hate my fireguard - it seems to make the room look smaller

It does seem silly when we never use the fire

Pipsqueak
19-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I picked up a good tip - put your toy boxes in front of it, my inspector was fine with that.
Obviously make sure that you don't have your fire on!!!!

childminder54
31-03-2008, 11:27 PM
ive just spent £3000.00 ON A FIRE place and fire
and didnot wont to put back my fireguard attacted to the wall.one childminder told me she had just put fireguard up a day before inspection by ofsted and was marked down for not attacted to the wall.but there again she kept here fireblanket in cupboard my was on top of cupboard and I WAS TOLD IT MUST be on the wall opened different inspecters different rules. so i dont know what to do my inspection is in sept my chimmney breast is 54 ins I DONT KNOW if they do fireguards that wide as the o ne ive got will not fit as we had the chimmney widened imconfused????

thanks veronicaxxx:jump for joy: :jump for joy:

crazybones
01-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Wasnt even mentioned by my inspector. I had a lightweight portable one - more decorative than anything else. She probably saw the dust on the coals and realised it wasnt used. :laughing:

miffy
01-04-2008, 06:31 AM
I think you'll be OK as long as you do a risk assessment and show that the fire is never used - I'm assuming you have another way of heating the room

I assume your friend would have been marked down because the fire guard wasn't safe - it wasn't attached to the wall so a child could have pulled it over on themselves or got behind it

miffy xx

childminder54
01-06-2008, 11:29 PM
yes centralheating