PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have swine flu in their local schools?

yummymummy
29-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Two schools in my area have it, including my own daughters school and the child is in her year too!
Schools are not closing (Government advice apparently) children in question just staying at home. I was panicking on Friday when I got the letter, but what can you do?, you can't keep them home just in case and it would be unauthorised absence anyway!
Anyone else have cases locally to them?

angeldelight
29-06-2009, 01:39 PM
My niece and nephew are off school because someone has it at their school but they live a fair way from me

Our school were given out letters on Friday some one has it there so we have to listen to the local radio every morning to see if the school is going to close

My sons brother in law and mother in law are both being treated for swine flu - brother in law is a teacher and got it from their school
They also live an hour from me

The doctors told them every one is more than likely to get it and some have had it with out realising it so its being passed on really easily

Angel xx

Deb
29-06-2009, 02:57 PM
at the moment it is really mild anywho so schools arent closing and in many cases they have stopped using the tamiflu as a prophylactic. Dont worry about it, a child I care for had it and no one really noticed, he was just a bit 'off'.

rickysmiths
29-06-2009, 03:18 PM
There was a case in my husbands Primary school last week and the area Primary Care Trust took the view that it was not necessary to close the school, just that the child stay at home.

6 miles up the road, same day, different local authority, one case in a primary school and they closed the school for a week and a half :eek:

man in a white coat
29-06-2009, 03:21 PM
There is no greater risk than normal Flu at present. Staying at home, sneezing into a tissue (or a sleeve if caught short) and washing hands is the thing to do. It always comes back to hand washing.....and good hygiene.

FizzysFriends
29-06-2009, 03:50 PM
A nine year old girl has died from swine flu in Birmingham. She has other health problems, although they never say what they are do they.

angeldelight
29-06-2009, 04:02 PM
A nine year old girl has died from swine flu in Birmingham. She has other health problems, although they never say what they are do they.

Yes we are just waiting for more information about this

Our school has now been closed

Looks like I am in for a busy week then

Angel xx

huggableshelly
29-06-2009, 04:05 PM
a local school to me is closed and my childrens school will be taking advice from primary care trust too.

it does seem that those who do die have other health issues too, tragic yet comforting to know those who are normally healthy will get through it.

I really feel for those who have lost loved ones through any illness especially when its a child.

Spangles
29-06-2009, 04:28 PM
But what are these 'other health issues'? They never say what they are so you're never sure if they are really serious, hospitalised, health issues or maybe asthma or something like that?

I read the other day that they reckon come Autumn tens of thousands of people will come down with it each week and that it may well have mutated by then and become a lot more threatening.

I think they should mention it more on the news again so people are aware as I get the impression lots of people seem to think it's just gone away and won't be a problem - hopefully it won't be a problem but they do think it could well be very serious. They should keep the adverts up and as time goes on make them more shocking.

sunnysmile
29-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I must admit I had flu type thing for nearly 3 weeks headaches, off tummy, temperature etc 1st weekend but it was coming and going I felt worse at nights and I never went doc and kept working as the kids all had colds too. I since heard though that there was a case confirmed up here of an elderly person on a coach trip who was all round the county. I actually met an elderly group on a coach trip a few days before I got ill when I had the kids out feeding the ducks :eek: I am fine now but it has made me wonder but surely I would have known :rolleyes:

honey
09-07-2009, 07:04 AM
my sons high school has had 1 pupil and 2 teachers gone down with it aarrgghhh I am at the point now of wether to take him out or not. I am giving him vitamin c and zinc tablets just incase

Twinkles
09-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Just heard yesterday that a local school has a case :(

honey
09-07-2009, 07:12 AM
i always feel guilty in droppoing him off at school in the morning knowing that there is swine flu at the school, but you cnat do anything about it can you?????

~Chelle~
09-07-2009, 09:53 AM
We had a letter home yesterday to say that a teacher and a pupil were suspected as having swine flu.

The headteacher was in the playground yesterday waiting for my friend, as my friends daughter is on the waiting list for a kidney transplant. The headteacher advised her not to let her daughter attend school at the moment in case there were any further cases.

There are 3 schools in my area (walderslade/Lorswood in Chatham) that have confirmed cases of swine flu.

The school is not closing though.

My friend has a child at another school, and with their letter about an outbreak of swine flu, there was a comment from the headteacher saying that she knows about parents concerns etc but that if they didnt send their children to school, this in effect, was being absent without permission and the local school authority could view this as truancy and the parents may be fined!!!

Makes you wonder what to do for the best, doesnt it?

Hebs
09-07-2009, 08:24 PM
according to the local newspaper there were 6 schools confirming swine flu TODAY ALONE :panic:

my daughter's school one of them

want to keep her off but really dont know what to do :panic:

Ripeberry
09-07-2009, 10:17 PM
The local secondary school has confirmed two teachers have swine flu and at being kept at home. It is only 2 miles from my house :eek: But it's out in the community now, just keep washing your hands and surfaces.
I just feel for the parents of children who have bad health problems as a dose of flu can be very bad for them :(

miffy
09-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Heard a rumour today that our local primary has a case but it is only a rumour atm :(

Miffy xx

Polly2
10-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Our secondary school sent out letters yesterday saying 3 members of staff had flu-like symtoms and although they not testing for swine flu they treating it as such anyway.

The school hasn't shut but they cancelled parents evenings and the talent show they were going to have.

We will just have to wait and see

FizzysFriends
10-07-2009, 09:39 AM
I had an email from the council asking for all schools and childcare to provide out of hours numbers as they are expecting it to be bad at the start of september and they are suggesting there is a possibility that the start of the new term will be pushed back if it is bad. Which is logical because if there arne't enough well teachers they can't open.

deeb66
10-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Received notification late yesterday evening that there is a confirmed case of swine flu at my son's school.

It was bound to happen sometime :(

Mouse
10-07-2009, 11:05 AM
All our local schools have got confirmed cases. It doesn't worry me.

Rubybubbles
10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
today one of the local high schools been confirmed:(

I don't look after children in the school, but am worried, but keep as I am and be ready

Willowdancer
10-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Yep, its in my childrens' school and nursery now.

I am not so worried about DS1 or DD but DS2 had a really nasty virus just after he and his sister came home from hospital after they were born that he nearly died from and may or may not mean he has a compromised immune system. He doesn't really pick up bugs easily though so fingers crossed it'll just be a mild dose if he does get it.

shellib
15-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I received a letter on Monday saying there had been 2confirmed cases in my daughters year....

Letter adviced children to still attend school as children are just as likely to catch it after school than they are whilst in school!

Blaze
15-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I have it in my home!

TBH you could keep your children & yourselves locked up for the next year indoors & catch it from your post being put through the letterbox or from your online delivery...it's pretty much inevitable we will all get it once if not more times over the next 18 months or so.:rolleyes:

grindal
15-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I was talking to a doctor friend yesterday and she said that about 30% of the population were likely to catch it before the end of the year. That means 7/10 people are unlikely to get it before Christmas. Having said that it will be just my luck to end up with it next week end as we head off on holiday for the week.

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Yep - its arrived!

wendywu
15-07-2009, 03:32 PM
The letter has come home today, we have it :)

Blaze
15-07-2009, 03:33 PM
LOVE the happy smilie you aded after that Wendy!:D :laughing:

wendywu
15-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Well Blaze you said we had to be positive about everything :thumbsup:

Blaze
15-07-2009, 03:37 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

zillervalley
15-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi
my local nursery sent out a letter yesderday confirming a case ,
ziller

venus89
15-07-2009, 03:49 PM
We have quite a few suspected cases. There are some confimed cases in the community so I think they probably are the real deal.

Lick'le Oakes
15-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Yep, two local schools have confirmed cases. One of my mindees mum works at one of the schools, she rang me this morning to ask if i would still have her child this afternoon. I said yes but have informed the other parents. Then tonight the other mindee i have mum phoned to say a teacher and a child has got it in their school too so yep its arrived!!:eek: :panic:

madasahatter
15-07-2009, 06:26 PM
One of my mindees mum is a teacher in our local school. She said today that whilst no pupils have confirmed cases of swine flu, they have been informed of several parents with it.
I just hope we don't go down before my hols!! 4 1/2 weeks to go. Hopefully the fact that the kids have less contact with each other in the hols will mean we avoid it for the mo.

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Bless my poor 7yr old mindee - they were giving out letters at his school as we left and he started to get really upset about it. Took me the 20minute walk home to reassure him.

Yes the press/media do a good job of informing us but the kids are getting so worried about it and all the focus on is the fatal potential of it - never mind that more will come through it ok than won't

Louise_Oaktree
16-07-2009, 03:00 PM
1 clinically confirmed case at my pick up school only 0.8 miles away :eek:

Mindee back to school tomorrow for last day then he's with me all Summer Hols

I have kept my son off pre-school today and for rest of week as it's only pre-school and he didn't want to go as had a fall yesterday and grazed his knees so still quite upset :rolleyes: no cases there though...yet

venus89
16-07-2009, 03:13 PM
My son's class had only 16 kids in the last couple of days compared to the usual 26. And the class below him only has 8 :eek:

(Not due to SF (except one), just people being worried about it)

duran
16-07-2009, 03:38 PM
A child has been diagnosed with swine flu at our local school although the school has not closed its doors just sent home advise letters and told not to panic!!!!!

andreaschildcare
17-07-2009, 06:58 PM
yes its here in northants

Ripeberry
17-07-2009, 08:05 PM
My friend's son at our school has it. He was sent home as he developed a sudden fever and could not stop shaking. She has told me that he's been sick several times this evening.
It's well and truly arrived here :(
GP has sent over a batch of Tamiflu, just hope it works.