PDA

View Full Version : Why choose NCMA?

Chatterbox Childcare
29-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Well how many times has MM or NCMA been posted?

I went as a volunteer to an NCMA weekend in London this weekend and it wasn't all play. The sessions we had were informative and serious and well delivered. I found out why NCMA and am glad that I am a member.

Amongst the many lists of things they do are:

liaise with the government with childminders interests at heart - currently talking to the minster regarding Capital Grants and the minister has agreed to send a directive to Early Years about this.

last year helped with the lowering of our fees

These are just two, so when you are thinking why should I pay my membership? think twice and investigate what they have done already this year.

When I get my full list of achievements I will post them on here. I left mine in the hotel room - stupid me!

Maybe Christine or rickysmith could type them in as they were there too.

The Juggler
29-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Well how many times has MM or NCMA been posted?

I went as a volunteer to an NCMA weekend in London this weekend and it wasn't all play. The sessions we had were informative and serious and well delivered. I found out why NCMA and am glad that I am a member.

Amongst the many lists of things they do are:

liaise with the government with childminders interests at heart - currently talking to the minster regarding Capital Grants and the minister has agreed to send a directive to Early Years about this.

last year helped with the lowering of our fees

These are just two, so when you are thinking why should I pay my membership? think twice and investigate what they have done already this year.

When I get my full list of achievements I will post them on here. I left mine in the hotel room - stupid me!

Maybe Christine or rickysmith could type them in as they were there too.

Absolutely agree! Sounds really interesting.

I wanted to go the London Forum on June 13th but couldn't make it as only found out the date the day before. I'll definitely be at the next one in the autumn. What was the weekend you went to out of interest? I'm determined to get involved in the Forums with a view to input in the policy forum committee, if not to be a member of that.

Are you a member? If you're at the next London meeting would love to meet you three!

Chatterbox Childcare
29-06-2009, 01:25 PM
It was a meeting of the regional members - Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary plus the 2 nominated NPF members.

Might see you around soon

This was the first one but it is to be held annually. I am representing the SW

aly
29-06-2009, 01:36 PM
must admit that our local nsma co-ordinator has been to a meeting with counsillors to get the maximum number of 6 children lifted higher. we shall look forward to their response as he has to put it forward to others.

Playmate
29-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Glad to here you had a good weekend (I will be seeing Rickysmith tomorrow, so I expect I will hear all about it!) Great to hear your possitive views. As an ex employee I'm bias, but NCMA do do so much that people just don't see. I wish more people would get involved on the voluntry side, just to see how much is done for us.
Well done :clapping:

manjay
29-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Glad to here you had a good weekend (I will be seeing Rickysmith tomorrow, so I expect I will hear all about it!) Great to hear your possitive views. As an ex employee I'm bias, but NCMA do do so much that people just don't see. I wish more people would get involved on the voluntry side, just to see how much is done for us.
Well done :clapping:

I seem to have volunteered myself for the Wales regional committee:rolleyes: Not quite sure how that happened!!!!

Mouse
29-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I think it's good to have a reminder now & again about what NCMA do. I used to pay the membership, take the insurance, buy the paperwork...and very little else.

But there's so much more out there that you can access & so much more that they do. You get out of it as much as you want. I now use the website regularly, make sure I read Who Minds (rather than just file it away) and appreciate what NCMA do behind the scenes.

My only gripe is that they stopped out a handbook. I did like having that.

rickysmiths
29-06-2009, 02:58 PM
I seem to have volunteered myself for the Wales regional committee:rolleyes: Not quite sure how that happened!!!!

Welcome to the club, not sure that any of us know how it happens!!!

Tut, tut Debbie you wsere obviously enjoying yourself too much!

I think this is the list Debbie means here goes!

1. Improved our services to members including a new-look 'Who Minds?'.
2. Supported all Childminders to prepare for EYFS in England
3. Developed a new robust childminding network model
4. Gained better understanding of nannies and their needs
5. Worked with all but two local authorities to provide support, training,and networks via project and field activity
6. Stopped plans to increase registration fees and publish childminder details on-line in England
7. Supported more childminders to achieve a Level 3 qualification

They will also be increasing the marketing of Home-Based Childcare
Supporting cms through the resession
They are also working hard to improve membership issuses, they are improving the web site though it has taken longer than they had hoped it is still an ongoing project.

They very much continue to represent our views to government and to effect change that has an effect on all childminders, not just those who are members of NCMA.

I do urge all of you though, to take notice when you see the dates of your next Regional Forum Meeting, they will be coming up the last Sat in Sept or the first in October (you have been for warned!) put the date in your diary, go along with a friend and find out how your voice and opinion really does matter and how you can be part of your future as a cm.

If you are not sure who to contact in your area you are welcome to pm me and I'm sure Debbie won't mind either.

The weekend we have just attended in Greenwich in London was the first weekend conference run by NCMA for all its new Regional Forum Committee members and National Forum members, they have always run training. It is for all the volunteers to help and support them in their roles.

It was really good meeting everyone from all over the country and from Wales. We are all there because we believe that it is one of the best ways to get our views heard and listened to.

I'll get off my soap box now!!!

Deb
29-06-2009, 03:04 PM
For all the reasons above! I personally cant commit to forum, but will hopefully be able to do so in the future. Well done for all you hard work peeps.

rickysmiths
29-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I think it's good to have a reminder now & again about what NCMA do. I used to pay the membership, take the insurance, buy the paperwork...and very little else.

But there's so much more out there that you can access & so much more that they do. You get out of it as much as you want. I now use the website regularly, make sure I read Who Minds (rather than just file it away) and appreciate what NCMA do behind the scenes.

My only gripe is that they stopped out a handbook. I did like having that.

Mouse I think they felt that because our memberships are renewed throughout the year that the handbook was out of date before some members got it. They have put some and are intending to put most of the info on the web site so it can be kept up-to-date and accessed all the time.

Mouse
29-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Mouse I think they felt that because our memberships are renewed throughout the year that the handbook was out of date before some members got it. They have put some and are intending to put most of the info on the web site so it can be kept up-to-date and accessed all the time.

I can understand that. It makes more sense really. I just liked having a handbook on my book shelf :laughing:

rickysmiths
29-06-2009, 03:52 PM
I can understand that. It makes more sense really. I just liked having a handbook on my book shelf :laughing:

I know what you mean.

huggableshelly
29-06-2009, 04:02 PM
sounds like it was a great wkend!

I'll be meeting errmmmmmmm everyone tomorrow woohoooo ... well not everyone but rickysmiths, sally, bteam eerrr and someone else but bteam doesnt count as i already know her ... sally will be like a reuninion LOL and rickysmiths i've not met yet.

just need to get there .... hee hee grabbing a lift off bteam so we can both get lost together ... so apologies if we dont make it ... it will be her fault!

christine e
29-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi Debbie

Looks like rickysmiths beat me to the reply! I too would be only to happy for members to contact me regarding NCMA and the forums.

Was great to meet both you and rickysmiths at the weekend.

Cx