PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding while drunk

Pedagog
29-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Just read this on another forum:

GRAND FORKS, N.D. — A North Dakota woman accused of breast-feeding her six-week-old baby while drunk has pleaded guilty to child neglect.

Twenty-six-year-old Stacey Anvarinia could face up to five years in prison when she’s sentenced on the felony charge in August.

Judge Sonja Clapp says Anvarinia will not have to register as an offender against children.

Police officers who responded to a domestic disturbance call at Anvarinia’s home April 13 say they saw an intoxicated Anvarinia breast feeding.

Health officials say alcohol consumed by breast-feeding mothers can be absorbed into an infant’s system.

What are your thoughts?

Roseolivia
29-06-2009, 10:17 AM
It depends on whether she had an alcohol problem and always breastfed while drunk. If it's a one off i think charging her is going a bit far.

Pedagog
29-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I know there is not a lot of information to allow an informed view, but interesting read.

Blackhorse
29-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I think you should be sober when breastfeeding as you don't know what consequences will be for the LO!!
I personally find it quite outraging (but then I have quite strong views on alcohol consumption that result from me seeing 2 generations of my family being ruined by alcohol....)
I am breastfeeding my dd and at the most I would maybe have one glass on the odd occasion.
same as when you are pregnant...it is not good for the baby

I will never understand why people can put alcohol, cigarettes etc above the safety of their kids

uf353432
29-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I think the world has gone mad frankly. I am a bf mum and I also support women in the community and beyond with bf. I have indulged in the odd glass now and again in the 3 odd years I have bf my daughters. Ok never been drunk and neither would I want to - but more to do with the thought of looking after kids with a hangover lol!

What this woman needs is help and support, help with her drinking problem, education as to what might happen to the baby with prolonged exposure to drink, support as to whatever reason she feels the need to drink herself stupid. She should be offered a programme, hooked up with other women who can offer her help and advice and support emotionally and physically. What is the point of incarcerating her? who on earth does it benefit and what does anyone learn out there? its just the wrong approach.

aly
29-06-2009, 10:56 AM
WSHen I have gone out for an unusal night out [when poppy was younger] I expressed and they say if you have had a drink i gave her the expressed and then emtied my breasts in morning so she wouldnt have the 'drunken' feeds.

uf353432
29-06-2009, 11:59 AM
its a common miscomception you have to empty your breasts of tainted milk. Breast milk is actually maternal blood - so if the alcohol has left your blood stream it would no longer be in you milk either - you should allow 1 hour per unit of alcohol.

aly
29-06-2009, 12:28 PM
its a common miscomception you have to empty your breasts of tainted milk. Breast milk is actually maternal blood - so if the alcohol has left your blood stream it would no longer be in you milk either - you should allow 1 hour per unit of alcohol.
I only had to smell it to be 'tiddly' lol so never had much in first place:thumbsup:

uf353432
29-06-2009, 12:38 PM
you are not alone lol!

tinkerbelle
29-06-2009, 01:29 PM
in mho it depends on circumstances etc my sister yhad a close friend who was on heroin when she becam,e pregnant she took methadone her son was born addicted to the stuff and had withdrawels social services told he to breast feed him when she refused they told her she would be done for child protection issues (breast is best) its all in her red book etc which i have seen
this baby unfortunatly died aged 4 months which was detirmined as cot death but ss are all over her for her daughter i personnaly feel they did nothing to acknowledge the condition this mum had or her concerns for her childs welfare by forcing her to breast feed him against her wishes

little chickee
29-06-2009, 01:58 PM
my thoughts are that the odd wine or beer here and there is fine whilst breastfeeding but not if yoi are actually drunk - not just the alcohol going into the baby but if you are not in full control of yourself because of being drunk you shouldnt be caring for a baby at all.

When my boys were small one of us( usually dh!) would only have a couple so that he was able to care for them properly when we got home.

Deb
29-06-2009, 02:49 PM
on its own breastfeeding when occasionally drunk isnt a crime - but if the police were there then that points to something else being amiss.

Peppa
29-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Nope couldn't do it! Drink then breastfeed! I would wait an hour per unit like wrote earlier.... but then i also felt drunk at one drink so wasn't too bad.