PDA

View Full Version : MET OFFICE HEATWAVE WARNING

Pudding Girl
29-06-2009, 09:46 AM
The Met Office has issued its first ever heatwave warning as forecasters predict temperatures to soar into the nineties this week.

Hospitals have been put on standby to deal with sunstroke victims and the government has urged the elderly and small children stay indoors as the hot and humid conditions reach potentially dangerous levels.

The mercury could hit a high of 91F (33C) by the middle of the week - and temperatures are expected to remain a warm and sticky 64F (18C) at night.

Southern England and the Midlands are expected to be hottest areas, but all parts of the country will see high levels of sunshine until next weekend. London is likely to be especially hot, meaning scorching conditions for Wimbledon fans players as the tournament goes into its second week.

A forecaster from the Met Office said: 'It is going to be the first significant heatwave since 2006. 'Temperatures will be in the low thirty degrees Celsius in many parts and somewhere is likely to hit 33 degrees sometime during the course of the week.
'With slack winds it's going to be very humid, although coastal areas will be a little fresher.'

The country is currently on amber level two of the Government's Heatwave Plan, but the Met Office expects it could reach level four by midweek - the highest level which denotes a state of emergency with the potential to cause water shortages or overwhelm the health service.

It is the first heat warning issued by the Met Office since the system was introduced two years ago.

A spokesman for the Department of Health said: 'The heat is especially dangerous for the very young, older people or those with serious illnesses. In particular, it can make heart and respiratory problems worse. In extreme cases, excess heat can lead to heat stroke, which can be fatal. Keeping the home as cool as possible during hot weather and remembering the needs of friends, relatives and neighbours who could be at risk is essential. Elderly people and those who are ill are particularly vulnerable during hot weather and the most oppressive conditions occur in our towns and cities. The Department of Health said children under four and elderly people were especially vulnerable, and should try to stay indoors where possible, especially during the hottest part of the day between 11am and 3pm.'

The last major heatwave to hit Britain was in 2003, when 2000 people died. A sweltering 102F (39C) was recorded in Brogdale in Kent on 10 August, a record high which still stands.

Tips of how to keep cool in the heatwave...

* People with serious health problems (for example heart conditions), should avoid going out in the heat, especially between 11am and 3pm.
* Drink cold drinks such as water or fruit juice regularly and avoid tea, coffee and alcohol.
* Stay tuned to the weather forecast and plan ahead with supplies - think of elderly neighbours who may need help.
* Keep plenty of water to hand and stay in the shade where possible.
* Identify the coolest room in the house to use as a room to cool down or sleep in.

Mouse
29-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I wonder why schools never take any notice of things like that? How many children are outside at the hottest time of the day, often very little shade, no sun hats and limited access to water to drink? It'll be interesting to see if there are any changes now there's been an 'official' warning.

As a parent & childminder I follow all the advice - gazebos in the garden for shade, water bottles out at all times (and children prompted to drink from them), sun hats on, avoid the lunchtime sun if possible. Then I go to drop off at nursery at lunchtime & see the kids racing round in blazing sun :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now! Thanks for posting that George.

Blackhorse
29-06-2009, 10:06 AM
thanks george for the info.
It is always good to know what to do if it is hot

but to be quite honest, when I heard of a heat wave I thought it was going to be hotter than that...to me temps in the early 30Cs are just a nice warm day...(but maybe I have spent too much time in greece..)
(a heat wave I was in while I was there reached 45C....)

LittleMissSparkles
29-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the info George xxx

Let's see if they are right about a heat wave lol xxx

Pipsqueak
29-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info. Although i think someone has forgotten to tell Mother Nature to include the North of England in her plans lol its dull and overcast here today - its neither warm nor hot.

Sons' school insist in hats, suncream and they alter playtimes so the kids aren't out in worst of the heat.

Pudding Girl
29-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Well it's 22 here but dull and grey and really doesn't even feel that tbh.

We've been doing the parks and utside stuff first thing in the mornings in the last week and then stay in rest of the day pretty much unless we have someonthing we are going to.

PixiePetal
29-06-2009, 11:18 AM
My DS (12) is supposed to going on a bike ride with his friend tomorrow on the south downs. They have an inset day.

Do you think I should cancel? Not sure if I want him out all day without shade in the heat. I know he is not a little child but still ??

Bananabrain
29-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for that.

Think I'm going to keep my little ones in, maybe not in the mornings,but certainly in the later part of the day.

My son [11] gone on hols with the school this morning. They had bottles of Evian piled up in reception which is a good sign. Some seriously stressed parents there this morning!

TheBTeam
29-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Car here said it was 28c, but personally it feels too hot, that is all i know, going camping in 3-4 weeks, hoping it cools off a little, not quite like the torrential rain and 30mph winds like last years holiday, but a happy medium would be nice!:rolleyes:

Hebs
29-06-2009, 11:27 AM
well it's warm but very cloudy here

but i bought an 8ft swimming pool for the weekend :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
29-06-2009, 11:47 AM
well it's warm but very cloudy here

but i bought an 8ft swimming pool for the weekend :thumbsup:

Im hoping hubby willbe putting ours up this weekend, we have a 12ft, takes 6 hours to fill :panic:

Mollymop
29-06-2009, 11:47 AM
It's hot and sticky here. We have just been to the park and library and now staying in until school run time.

Our schools are quite good. they are made to wear sun hats and the children have the choice to go in and play (sometimes compulsary) at lunchtimes.

Trouble
29-06-2009, 11:52 AM
my kids school has sports day tomorrow:angry: How silly is that in this weather:(

Hebs
29-06-2009, 11:56 AM
my kids school has sports day tomorrow:angry: How silly is that in this weather:(

ours is on wednesday, tipped to be the hottest day :rolleyes:

Hebs
29-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Car here said it was 28c,

my car said 15c :laughing:

somehow i think it's wrong

FussyElmo
29-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Our school sent a sun protection policy home and it stated that any outdoor sports would start by 9.30.....yet sports day was held last thursday at 1pm mmmm.

sparkibobs
29-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the info xx

My indoor thermostat says 24.5 degrees!!

Only one good thing about the heat today, I've got three loads of washing done and dried!!:D

Hope everybody is coping with the heat ok

xx

PixiePetal
29-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Thermometer outside my back door has been in the sun but been shady there for 2 hours and is reading 28.1 :eek:

Way too hot for me, my poor kids have black school uniforms. Will have the ice lollies ready for when they get in today - glad they are teens and I have no school run! :blush:

her8y
29-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Just got back from nursety run. its hot hot HOT and i have a headache. Was surprised to see the children all playing in the sun on the playground and still running round!:eek:

Sports day ALL day tomorrow.............

rickysmiths
29-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Well we have been indoors today with all the windows and doors open.

The temp in my back garden is 35 degrees and indoors the temp is recording 27 degrees :eek:

Its alright folks you are guranteed rain from the 20th July for a fortnight I'm on holiday in Cornwall!

helenlc
29-06-2009, 12:33 PM
My car said 28!!

I am currently filling our 10' pool for my kids.

3 yr old mindee played in garden first thing this morning but came in as soon as it started getting too hot. I have stocked up on ice lollies so he had one after lunch.

My children have taken big bottles of water to drink through out the day - I have told them to re-fill their bottle when it runs out. If teacher has told them no, I will be going to town.

As it is they have a playgound with very little shade and my son said the teacher has a fan but keeps it pointing on her rather than all the class!!!

Our sports day was supposed to be tromorrow - I think they would have cancelled it cos of the heat anyway.

LOOPYLISA
29-06-2009, 12:49 PM

The temp in my back garden is 35 degrees and indoors the temp is recording 27 degrees :eek:

Its alright folks you are guranteed rain from the 20th July for a fortnight I'm on holiday in Cornwall!

:D No 20th July is my b day !

Blaze
29-06-2009, 12:53 PM
thanks george for the info.
It is always good to know what to do if it is hot

but to be quite honest, when I heard of a heat wave I thought it was going to be hotter than that...to me temps in the early 30Cs are just a nice warm day...(but maybe I have spent too much time in greece..)
(a heat wave I was in while I was there reached 45C....)

ROFL...so was I...this isn't hot!:D

sue m
29-06-2009, 12:54 PM
It's flippin' hot when you're menopausal and having hot flushes as well!!!!!!!! :eek: :panic:

FizzysFriends
29-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Its sports day tomorrow for DD, its meant to be the hottest day here too, hope they cancel it.

Its too hot for me today!!!!

mumof4
29-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Its pretty perfect here, car says 23 and there is a gentle breeze. All babies asleep... a great start to the week!

The Juggler
29-06-2009, 01:25 PM
My DS (12) is supposed to going on a bike ride with his friend tomorrow on the south downs. They have an inset day.

Do you think I should cancel? Not sure if I want him out all day without shade in the heat. I know he is not a little child but still ??

boys of 12 have less sense than younger ones quite often. Not sure about your ds but my ds of 9 regresses as he ages I'm sure! Can't change his pants, brush his teeth or remember his inhaler despite nagging!

Just make sure you drum into him about drinking lots, lots, lots and keeping his hat on.

MissTinkerbell
29-06-2009, 01:32 PM
:D No 20th July is my b day !

Nope should be OK - my mum and dad go on hols that week and they have had a hot week's holiday in the UK for the last 10 years - last year they had about the only hot week all summer.

angeldelight
29-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks George

We already have the heatwave it is so hot here and the weekend was the same

Hope it continues

Angel xx

rickysmiths
29-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Nope should be OK - my mum and dad go on hols that week and they have had a hot week's holiday in the UK for the last 10 years - last year they had about the only hot week all summer.

Oh glad to hear that. Its our first holiday in the UK for 3 yrs.

Looks like you'll be ok for your birthday Loopylisa! :laughing:

angeldelight
29-06-2009, 04:03 PM
It's flippin' hot when you're menopausal and having hot flushes as well!!!!!!!! :eek: :panic:

Thank goodness I am not there yet Sue :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

huggableshelly
29-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Parents have been picking up complaining about how hot they are in their work uniforms!

another good point for working from home no uniforms!

Spangles
29-06-2009, 04:38 PM
It was 31degs according to the car at about 1pm today, it's okay-ish indoors but outside it's stifling!

Hope we will be able to sleep well tonight - I hate being hot in bed! Eugh!

FizzysFriends
29-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Parents have been picking up complaining about how hot they are in their work uniforms!

another good point for working from home no uniforms!

was worried that was going to read good point for working from home, no clothes!!! :blush:

Saranotts
29-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Might print this off for my son to take to school, since their head master is still insisting on them wearing blazers! How mad is that!

Sara

P.s. Might have upset a few of my office working friends today by telling them I was in the pool - te he

Pipsqueak
29-06-2009, 05:25 PM
:jump for joy: :jump for joy: the sun has been out for a couple of hours here now and its mega hot - whooo the north east might actually get some of this alleged heatwave:jump for joy:

LOOPYLISA
29-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Oh glad to hear that. Its our first holiday in the UK for 3 yrs.

Looks like you'll be ok for your birthday Loopylisa! :laughing:

:clapping: Its usually very nice weather on my birthday :D

PixiePetal
29-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I took my digital fridge thermometer and put it by my washing line in the sun at 3.30pm. I knew it was hot but it was 42.1, that's crazy. Hate to think how hot it would have been at midday?!

Ice lollies all round and kept in the shade as much as possible.

ORKSIE
29-06-2009, 05:47 PM

:eek: Know what you mean, keep thinking is it really this hot or ami having a Flush! Think sometimes its a bit of each:panic:

Hebs
29-06-2009, 05:54 PM
:jump for joy: :jump for joy: the sun has been out for a couple of hours here now and its mega hot - whooo the north east might actually get some of this alleged heatwave:jump for joy:

at 11am my car said it was 15c, at 3pm doing school run it had shot up to 27 :eek:
sun came out and burned back so of this fog we've had and it was lush,
gone overcast again so fingers crossed it'll cool before bedtime :D

PixiePetal
29-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Friends of mine are going abroad for the first time in 3 years as they have had nothing but rain in August in all that time - last year was the last straw. They sat in their Cornish holiday cottage and went through holiday brochures with rain battering the cottage :rolleyes:

Pudding Girl
29-06-2009, 06:01 PM
think my thermom might be wrong, says 26.5c am sure it's not that warm I can't feel it much

peanuts
29-06-2009, 07:47 PM
been foggy for most of the day today, hubby working in falkirk this week as said that it was hot and clear blue skys, i wish i had been nice here, got a little sun about 5 ish before mist came down again

FizzysFriends
29-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I can hear thunder in the distance, hope that clears the air a bit as its very muggy here.

emmadines
29-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Im not sure how hot it got but Im thinking it hit 30, luckily the trees in my back garden and the fact the suns to the front of the house means the gardens quiet cool come the hottest part of the day, so come 3pm when the kids come home it should be ok....

Lady Haha
29-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for that George! We have two inset days, today and tomorrow, so I planned to do the park today and checked the forecast last night. It said sunny intervals and fairly high winds, so I thought, yes, thats fine then. Got up this morning to really heavy rain and thought, ah soft play it is then. But it brightened up and off we went all creamed up (apart from me:rolleyes: ) and had a boiling hour in the park! Mindees were all fine, no burning, we had lots of drinks etc, but my back is scorching me now!!!

Tomorrow I have soft play planned in the afternoon and thanks to all the mad parents out there, it will be empty cos they will all be in the park! I just hope they have the air conditioning on as even in the depths of winter the mindees come running back to the table all hot and bothered for their drinks when we go to soft play!

I don't know why I bother looking at the forecast sometimes, last night it said it was going to be raining all week.....