PDA

View Full Version : Boys and dolls

John
28-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Today i was chating to a parent about young boys playing with dolls, and we agree that all boys should be able to play with a doll as it's part of growing up to be a daddy or a childminder:laughing: so i'm asking would any of you mind if a boy play dollys? or if any parent that's on here will you be happy to let your son play with a doll? My mum said i like to play with a doll (hope none of my mates or childminding parents read this:blush: and still do part of my job being a childminder.

I have just found a book that might be of interesting Called William's doll: Book is about: William is a boy who wants a doll. He wants to play with it and hug it. He wants to tuck it into bed at night and wake it up in the morning and pretend that it's his own child. Needless to say, this plan is met with not a little bit of derision by his peers. His brother thinks it's creepy and the boy next door even goes so far as to call William a sissy. As for William's father, he decides to stem the boy's desires by purchasing manly toys for him. Basketballs, and trains, and tools. The only one who understands William is his grandmother, a wise woman who gives William his heart's desire and patiently explains to his father that there is nothing odd or abnormal about a boy wanting a doll. After all, if girls play with dolls to be good mothers why shouldn't boys play with dolls to be good fathers?

Here is a clip of the aducation film from the usa think it was made in the 70s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRPc_NS2J-k

John.

tulip0803
29-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Even before I was a childminder my son had a puschair and dolls to play with as both had belonged to me as a child. I bought him a kitchen for christmas alongside cars etc. On the same lines when I had my original pre-reg insp and I was asked about boys/girls toys I pointed to DD1 who was wearing a hardhat and fixing something with tools:D .

My friends son was bought a pushchair for his birthday and his dad put it out for the dustmen:panic: . At the Family Centre if a parent mentions anything we explain the same thing as you said John, it is acting out what they see at home from Dad as well as Mum. Luckily all the Mum's are really happy to see them play as they often do not have these toys at home to play with.

Lady Haha
29-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Ah, this little gem! My own son plays more with 'girls' toys than anything else. He started showing an interest in dolls when he was around two and he is seven now and has tons of Barbies, has all the Barbie films and is basically Barbie mad! When mindees come round, he mainly plays with the girls, gets the Polly Pocket stuff out etc. His dad and me aren't together anymore, and at first his dad refused to accept it. But slowly, over the years and realising this wasn't a phase and that I hadn't forced our son to be a 'poof' as he put it, he even bought him a little pink dressing table for Xmas just gone! He spends ages sitting at it doing his make up and hair!

I know my son is a very extreme example of this, but I can't help feeling proud of MYSELF for being so supportive for him. My mum visits and she says 'it's weird' and she can't help it if she's 'old school'. I wonder what it would be like for a boy who liked dolls etc to be told 'no you can't play with that!' and be made to feel like there is something wrong with him. At that age, all they know is that they want to play with 'that toy' and can't understand why its 'wrong' to want that.

So, John, I think you are a fabulous example of the way to go! Well done! To have a man saying that dolls are fine to play if you are a young lad who likes dolls, must be so reassuring.

Just watched the clip too! Wonderful! I am going to let my son watch that, I like to find other examples of boys who like dolls to show him so that he doesn't feel like a freak!

FussyElmo
29-06-2009, 06:27 AM
My ex was really terrible about this!! He came to collect dd1 and ds once and because ds wanted to take the pushchair he threw a fit. Screaming the street that no son of his would be a poofer. I shut the door on him!!!

He couldnt see that it was alright and normal - he didnt object to dd having boy toys brought for her as she wouldnt play with dolls etc she's still a power ranger now at 10 but doesnt admit it!!!

My youngest ds is a typical boy car and football mad other than elmo are the only things he plays with except fot the pushchair and doll. We watch him at toddlers picking the doll up gently, cuddling and kissing and gently puttting her to sleep:)

Let children be with their own likes and dislikes. We prefer different things as adults so why shouldn't children.

miffy
29-06-2009, 06:31 AM
I think you're right John - my own son had a pushchair and he loved it.

Miffy xx

sue m
29-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I've been minding since 1987 and all the children had a pushchair and dolls and all the boys have always played with them. :thumbsup:

angeldelight
29-06-2009, 06:43 AM
I have never thought it mattered what children play with if they enjoy it

Before I did minding my own children played with whatever - my sons often played with the Barbie dolls ( just dont tell them that I told you that :laughing: ) and my daughters always played with their brothers cars

I have one parent though who is funny - the dad of one child does not think it is right

Last year the little girl and boy swapped hats - one being a boys and one being a girls pink hat
I took a picture because they both looked so cute

Dad was not happy and said he is a boy not a girl

He knows he plays with dolls here and often makes comments but lucky for me I do have the moms support otherwise I think it would make it really difficult because his views are so strong

Angel xx

mrs c
29-06-2009, 06:44 AM
My mindee plays with dolls at my house - I think its quite natural for him as he has a baby brother and I certainly wouldn't stop him. Ive had other boys who have played with dolls, do washing, ironing and cooking and have never seen anything odd with this.
When I was young I never played with dolls, much prefered meccano and train sets and thank goodness my mum never saw this as odd and pushed dolls onto me!

huggableshelly
29-06-2009, 06:47 AM
all my mindees play with dolls, my son had his own doll for his first birthday and his own pushchair too.

last summer I took 5 children to the park, all had a pushchair (4 boys 1 girl)
my daughter had a pet stick in her pram, my son had Fred his afro cabbage patch doll, the minded boys all chose thier dolls or teddies, one took the girl twins with him.

none of my parents have ever requested that their child is not to play with dolls, the only request I did have was for a child not to dress up as a girl ... I discussed the pros and cons stating that dressing up allowed a child to learn how to be independant with chosing outfits and dressing themselves and develops creativie imagination. yep the child still dressed up and adored the bridesmaid dress, he wore it practically daily but not anymore, he is 11 now and apart from the fact that it doesnt fit him its no longer cool to dress up!

Roseolivia
29-06-2009, 06:47 AM
I don't have any boy mindees now but the one i did he used to play with dolls. It doesn't matter what they play with as long as they are having fun. I think most boys go to cars etc anyway and the girls go to dolls etc( in my experience anyway)

sarah707
29-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I always tell parents that most boys will end up as fathers and the more practice they can get with babies / pushing buggies the more their future partners will thank me! :D

Pudding Girl
29-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Everyone plays with everything and nothing has ever been said so far. My own children both played with each others toys.

I'd like to think there's not many men now who still have this old fashioned attitude, as everyone has said, men push prams too ;) but maybe it's just that I've not come across it.

Blackhorse
29-06-2009, 07:48 AM
I think boys should be able to play with whaever they want and if it's dolls then let them play with them

saying that, I have to confess that I always think it's 'funny, unusual'' (sorry cant think of better words) to see them actually play with dolls. but that is just because we are being brought up in a society with stereotypes imprinted into us...boys dressed in blue with cars....girls in pink with dolls

it is not always easy to get away from all these influences around us, but I guess you have to take a conscious decision to rise above these things and allow the kids to play with whatever they want.

So in a way I can understand why parents might think that way, but they should leave their own feelings and fears (like...oh no what will they say if they see my boy play with a doll instead of a football...)aside and let the kids have fun with toys they choose

I hope I managed to explain this so you know what I am trying to say

balloon
29-06-2009, 07:52 AM
My own children have always played with whatever they wanted, they're all boys and we've had a succession of prams and pushchairs for the teddies over the years, even a few dolls.

Mindees of course play with everything too. I make it clear to parents that we have to let them play with what they want to and not push them towards gender specific toys and so far I haven't had a problem. If anybody did say anything I'm all prepared to do the 'he's practising to be a daddy' thing...

Mouse
29-06-2009, 08:30 AM
My own children always had dolls & pushchairs and to be honest, it's not something I really think about with mindees. They play with whatever they want & these days it never occurs to me that parents might have a problem with it.

When I bought my first son a doll my inlaws were outraged! Even DH was a bit off about it, but then that came from his upbringing with his parents. DH said it was OK for DS1 to play with the doll indoors, but not out of the house.
Me being me though, I let DS1 take it wherever he wanted & actively encouraged him to take it if we visited the inlaws ;)
DH was much more relaxed about it once he realised it wasn't going to have an impact on DS's sexuality (isn't that what the men are frightened of?) and all the boys went on to have their own dolls.

kindredspirits
29-06-2009, 08:38 AM
isn't it mad really that the only men that won't go on to procreate are those who are gay and yet men are afraid that if their sons play with dolls and pretend to be daddies that they will become so ;)

my sons fav. toys are his dolls and his ironing board :D

Polly2
29-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Both my boys had lots of dolls etc to play with having 2 big sisters.

It s funny how all the boys I mind love the play kitchen and the dolls! - I wondered if its because they are "not allowed" to play with these kind of toys at home???

My daughter on the other hand hated dolls and was much happier kicking a football round or climbing a tree:laughing: yet now as a teenager is very much into fashion and makeup!

ORKSIE
29-06-2009, 09:01 AM
All of my Mindees play with dolls and buggy's, The girls and boys alike. The girls also like to play with the cars and trains. I really dont see a problem and cant understand anyone who does. :)

aly
29-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I had to by my son [nearly 8] a doll becasue when he was about 2 he couldn't go passed a little girl without wanting her doll.

So I bought him a boy doll. It's still down my mums actually and should bring it back.

little chickee
29-06-2009, 09:32 AM
My ds who is now 6 has always liked to play with dolls and buggies - his favorite colour is pink and he has pink slippers, pink socks etc which i totally do not have any problem with. My hubby however has struggled with it a lot - he now 6 years later has gradually accepted it and is now ok with my little angel liking pink and dolls and prams. :littleangel:

DS has 4 baby annabells / baby chou-chous on the end of his bed and he loves them. when he was at pre-school the teachers there commented on how he played gently with the dolls, tucking them up etc when most boys just chuck them about and they did not see it as a problem.

Ds is youngest of 3 and only one who has shown this interest in "girls toys" but all 3 have liked having nail varnish etc on.

On the flip side my son also plays just as rough as his brothers and loves to play with "boys toys" just as much - i think its adorable that he has this softer gentle side and i think it will make him grow into a well rounded, caring person.

PixiePetal
29-06-2009, 11:39 AM
My son loved playing dolls and buggies - helped by DD who is 2 1/2 years older and who was doll and baby mad. Mind you she also had the garage and cars too.

He also did a mean line in dressing up in a tutu and dressing up shoes. By 3 he was train and vehicle mad but would still don the dressing up clothes at any time :)

Not sure he would now - he is 12! Almost a man, with a lovely gentle nature.

All children here have access to all toys, age appropriate for safety sake but otherwise a free for all. :thumbsup:

Rach30
29-06-2009, 11:44 AM
My son loved playing with pushchairs , dolls , teddies , barbies ect when he was younger. When my daughter came along they used to play "mums and dads" together. I think its great and perfectly healthy. Actually that seems like a distant memory cos now they fight like cat and dog :rolleyes: . When DS was about 2 i bought him a shopping trolley , when the nighbour saw him pushing it she said "ooo you dont want that girls toy" so i said "what , don't Men go shopping then ?". She didn't know what to say then lol:thumbsup:

The Juggler
29-06-2009, 12:18 PM
even if you take play resources out of the equation, aren't they just imitating their dads (you'd hope anyway). If a Dad pushes, feeds changes his babies I can't see why he would find it so strange for his son to then do the same with a doll - it's just role play!

Unless I had a really archaic Dad, I would just point that out to them. They are imitating real life.

helenlc
29-06-2009, 01:48 PM
My 3 yr old boy mindee loves the buggy and dolly (or Iglle piggle sometimes goes in it!). I dont think any thing of it. He wraps it in a blanket, gives it a bottles, changes its nappy etc.

My son loved playing with the doll and buggy when he was smaller. DH objected so I bought it for my daughter when she was 9 months old and DS used it til she was big enough to use it!!!:blush:

My son also had a toy kitchen when he was about 18 months as his cousins were throwing it out and he always played with it when he went to visit. My DH worked in a pub kitchen so didnt object to that one quite so much.

A friends husband objected when his son wanted a toy kitchen even though it was the hubby that did all the cooking in their house - he couldnt see that his son only wanted to do what daddy did. (He did eventually get one!!)

My daughter is a tomboy and whilst she loves her dollies, she loves her footballs and BMX just as much.

I was also a tomboy and still am not very girly (does that make me a Tom Man?) - I recently went to the England football game whilst my DH stayed at home with the kids!!!:clapping: :clapping:

No room for sexism in our house!!!

Moominmomma
29-06-2009, 03:54 PM
so, glad my son's not the only one, he went everywhere in a pink tutu for over a year. And then in a pink ball gown, and now he saves his dress for at home and weekends, but still wears bobbles and a head band to school. As parents we are not bothered but as he gets older his peers question if he is a boy or girl!

Also, every other parent at toddler group/school think he is strange and ask me if it bothers me? I smile and say no, he's happy I'm happy!

georgie456
29-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Both of my boy mindees love the dolls and pushchairs and both their dad's hate it!!

One dad picked up once and I had 3 girls at one end of the room playing with a train set while my 3yr old boy mindee was at the other end having a tea party with baby annabelle and 3 My Little Ponies!!!!!!!! Dad was not a happy chappy but it made me laugh my head off at his reaction. His son couldn't have been playing with more "girl's" toys at one time if he tried - all that was missing was him dressed up in a fairy dress!!!!! :D

Luckily all the mum's are very understanding and just tell me to leave the dad's to them!!!

Lady Haha
29-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow, this thread has become sooooo interesting!!! I posted way at the beginning about my son and I am sooo pleased there are so many others like him!!!

I have one dad who picks up his son and I'm sure he was frightened to death of my son converting his when he started! He picks up his son and my son is wearing a Barbie Princess dress or something and you can almost see the relief on his face that his son isn't! Well, his son has been coming here for nearly a year now and is still as 'boyish' as he was at first, but he has also become far more accepting of my son which I think is a good lesson to learn early on! At first he kept telling my son that 'dress's are for girls' or 'girls play with dolls'. Now he has learned that if you can't beat em, join em! When my son and all the girls get Polly Pocket out, he gets a car to play with. It's a pink car with Polly in it, but it's still a car!!!:laughing:

Pipsqueak
30-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Very interesting discussion and very relevant to me at the moment.

I am caring for a 7 year old who by his mums admission (and previous childminder) is very 'effeminate'. He is a very gentle soul and relates best to the younger children.

He loves playing with the dolls, preferably Bratz, he loves the girls world and doing its make up and hair. he LOVES dressing up in the dresses and has asked if I have any high heels (I have said i don't - as I only have one pair and they are only wheeled out for special occasions) that he can use. He has searched my make up bag as well. He even wanted to take a couple of the dressing up dresses home (he is quite a small child and fits into the5/6 year old stretchy princess dresses)

Now I have no problem with boys playing and using this type of stuff - whats hard is getting him to have an interest in anything else. According to him he doesn't enjoy anything else - and i have tried all manner of things.

Mum doesn't want me to encourage his interests. what do I do.

Lady Haha
30-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Pip, I would just let him be himself, which I know you already do. But I have tried to balance out my son's interests, but its nearly always a waste of time and momey! He does ballet on Saturdays which was completely his idea, so I got him into a karate class on a weeknight to balance it out, he lasted two weeks and didn't want to go back 'cos of all the shouting':laughing:

The last few christmas's he has been getting less and less boys stuff and more and more girls stuff. Last year the only boys thing he had was a Mega Rig thing he saw on tv and begged for. Played with it for five mins and hasn't touched it since, but his Barbie Diamond Castle dolls and dress is always out! From now on, I am not going to struggle with trying to encourage other interests!

When you say his mum wants you to encourage his interests, do you mean she wants you to just let him carry on being 'girly' or that she wants you to try and develop other interests in him?

Oh, just re read and realised you said that mum DOESN'T want you to encourage his interests! Thats a tough one!

I have to say I am incredibly proud of my son and the way he wins over all the 'normal' boys. I have always told him to be what he wants to be, but also 'warned' him that others might make fun. They don't bat an eyelid now when he takes his dolls to school and he is still really popular with both boys and girls as friends.

John
30-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Starting this discussion i didn't know that it will get a good responce, I know it's ok for boys to play with dolls, and it's nice to see your happy with this, i think it's most men that are not happy that their son is wanting to play with a doll as to most man it's being a sissy or a puff, not thinking that the child is imitating a dad with a real baby.

A few times in the nursery that i worked at, had to explain to dads that's it all part of learning and playing with them will not turn your son gay or a sissy. Today i ordered that book called William's doll so hope it's give a explanation to a child and parent that's boy can play with dolls.

It's nice that we all can have a good discussion and this one is good for letting other parent's know they are not along with their son playing with dolls.

John.

Daddy Day Care
30-06-2009, 07:34 PM
When we go to tots groups the first thing my son runs upto (2 in july) is the dolls and prams.

It doesnt bother me in the slightest and to be honest the dolls and prams get played with more by all the boys rather than the girls.

The girls tend to go to the diy corner and do soem hammering and drilling.

Gareth

mummyof3
30-06-2009, 08:41 PM
My 3yr old ds has a little boy doll he is often seen walking to school pick up pushing him in his little blue buggy. I don't have a problem with it but I must admit others do look oddly at him or pass remarks.

Dads walk and push a buggy so whats the difference?????? :huh:

mandy moo
01-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Both my boys had buggies, prams, dolls both male and female, cooker, tea sets etc as well as cars, garages etc
DH was a little concerned when we got our 1st 'baby', he soon accepted it was staying tho:laughing:
my youngest mindee, hes 22mth loves thebaby and likes to give it his bottle and bath it,
my 5 yr old mindee is a proper tomboy tho will only wear the bat man outfit or the red power ranger outfit, does not like pink at all, her fav colour is blue.

The Juggler
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
My 3yr old ds has a little boy doll he is often seen walking to school pick up pushing him in his little blue buggy. I don't have a problem with it but I must admit others do look oddly at him or pass remarks.

my point exactly. Never mind that they are playing with all sorts of different toys (no such thing as boys and girls toys in ofsted's world) but they are imitating their dads - I think sometimes Dad's forget this.

Lady Haha
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM

You just hit the nail right on the head for me!!! My ex hubby absolutely refused to push the buggy when our son was a baby! So to think he bought him a little pink dressing table last Xmas must mean he's come a long way lol!