PDA

View Full Version : Would you agree?

Tatjana
28-06-2009, 08:18 PM
After having around 6 enquiries and I let them know my fees they never got back to me....it's time to reduce my fees?

My fees aren't high, average for the area, but clearly these parents are looking to pay the least possible.

Was thinking of dropping them for the next enquiry and see what happens.

What do you think wise ladies of the super cm forum??!

xx

FizzysFriends
28-06-2009, 08:20 PM
You could drop them slightly and see if that helps. Could you get them around before telling them your fees? A good sales person will never give you a price without 'selling' you the product first.

Tatjana
28-06-2009, 08:26 PM
They all insist on knowing fees:rolleyes: I don't mind telling them as I think what's the point in wasting everyones time if they simply can't afford it?

I will reduce and see what happens!

Thank you for your reply:)

xx

Ripeberry
28-06-2009, 08:32 PM
How much are you thinking of reducing by? It's a balancing act as if fees are too low it can put the other local CM's noses out of joint. That's what my developmental worker said.
I've tried having different things and offering discounts but parents just look at the basic fee and don't factor in that the fee may cover all food and playgroup fees :mad:

Gizmo
28-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I have reduced mine, some of the cms are charging £30pd and I wouldnt like to pay that (as a mum who has used cms for 6 years) so I have put mine to £27 I also asked a few friends who used cms why they picked them and the
1st answer was price

Lady Haha
28-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Do they know that you are a 'new' childminder? I know it's not fair and we all have to start somewhere, but if you are charging the same as some other 'more experienced' minders in the area, parents might choose the more experienced minder. They could be useless, but parents might not think like that! Also, when telling them the fees, also tell them what that includes!

I have just got a new starter and when asked about the cost of school holiday care I said "its 25.00 per day which I know is twice what the holiday clubs cost, but I'm better! I take the kids out daily and holiday clubs don't and I give the kids proper meals!" She chose me!:littleangel:

Hebs
29-06-2009, 05:23 AM
i charge £4 per hour, the same as all the local minders,

one minder was recently asked by a parent to have his little one full time (45 hours a week) and older child before/after school and full time in holidays for £245 A MONTH :eek:

:censored: parents, they wouldn't work a full time job for a month to only come home with a weeks wage!!!!!!

peanuts
29-06-2009, 06:58 AM
i dropped them last year when i was getting nowhere with enquiries, then new childminders were charging higher, it really riled me that i had done svq3 and every course going, they had just started had no courses done yet and were charding higher than me.

Blackhorse
29-06-2009, 07:41 AM
did you ever find out why they never chose you?
the last one's that didn't work out for me where down to location of parents house vs mine and another one was because I don't drive and school was too far for kids to walk according to mum
I think what I am trying to say is that it will not always just be fees.
If you know the going rate in your area I dont think I would charge much less.

peanuts,
I am a newly registered cm and I wouldnt want to charge less/more than other cms in the area but I want to charge the same
I still have expenses and just having done something for a while doesnt mean they do it any better (I am not saying experience doesnt count, but it is not everything).
Also if you undercut the other cms they might not be happy either..

little chickee
29-06-2009, 09:51 AM
i personally would not reduce my fees if i am charging the same as eveyone else in my area. i too have found that the first question is nearly always "how much" and it can be really difficult to not answer!!

Just try to say something like "its £xxx per hour and that includes all drinks and snacks which is the same rate as all other childminders in this area although some do charge extra for the drinks and snacks" and hopefully that might help.

Instead of reducing your fees maybe try and find things you can include at no exta charge so parents feel like they are getting more for their money.

Tatjana
29-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks again everyone for your replies.

It's difficult to know what to do for the best:idea:

Nicole, I really do believe it's the fees that put them off as they seemed happy with all the information I offered until it came to fees!

I WILL get a mindee, I WILL get a mindee, I WILL get a mindee... :laughing:

xx

jeanybeany
30-06-2009, 09:09 AM
If you think dropping your fee's will work then do it. It's your business no one elses. Another cm I know charges £80 per week:eek: . There's no way I would work for that, I told her to put her fees up!

Also, ask them if they would like to come and meet you. Sometimes when asked about fees I ask for days, hours etc give them a rough price and say it depends really on what your requirements are, sell yourself.

Andrea08
30-06-2009, 09:22 AM
I have no children on my books and if no phone calls come in im not sure what ill do,,, a promotion eg, one free day in the first week of minding and/or free settling in hrs/days,,,

ohhh its got me thinking ill put that on my web site in the fees page if thats what parents look for ,,£££££

but dont reduce ur fees give an insentive like above or promote reductions for 2nd child etc

good luck hun x

Chatterbox Childcare
30-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I think that you need to get the parents through the door first so that they can see you and your setting.

You may be the first person that they ring and by the time they get to the 5th on the list and find everyone is the same they have forgotten you.

If they ask for a price I say "sorry it is all dependant on the care that you require, so please come along for a coffee and we can discuss what you need and what I can offer"

It might waste time but at lease you have a chance,

Andrea08
30-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I think that you need to get the parents through the door first so that they can see you and your setting.

You may be the first person that they ring and by the time they get to the 5th on the list and find everyone is the same they have forgotten you.

If they ask for a price I say "sorry it is all dependant on the care that you require, so please come along for a coffee and we can discuss what you need and what I can offer"

It might waste time but at lease you have a chance, yes and also giving you practice with interviews and confidence
good luck

beckyteddy
30-06-2009, 10:01 AM
I missed out on a contract for a full time 8 month old a while back, purely because of price. The parents were prepared to drive for 20mins down the motorway to a cheaper chidminder rather than use me (a 2 minute walk away) I thought that once they factored in the petrol costs and travel time they would realise that I was a better option...but no!!

As it turned out they then left that childminder (the parents split up and mum took baby with her back to Scotland) and have so far refused to pay the 4 weeks notice they owed......so the moral is......sometimes parents who look for the cheapest option are not always the easiest/most reliable/fairest people to work with and if you would rather work with someone who values you and your service then don't drop your fees tooooo far!