PDA

View Full Version : hi........ got any advice?????

lollismum
17-02-2008, 05:39 PM
hi, i recently posted on here to introduce myself as i am new to the site and childminding!!
well in the last week or so i've had 2 phone calls about minding (at the mo i havent got any mindees)
one lady came to see me about having her 8 month old 2 days a week.....
i was unsure what to say and what i should show her????
i felt under pressure as i didnt really know what i should have been doing?!!
she stayed for a brew and we did chat about childcare.
please could any one give me any advice as i've got someone else coming to see me next weekend about looking after their 2 children 3 days a week
a boy who's nearly 2(full days) and a girl who's 7 (before and after school)

sorry for going on a bit!!!!!!! :panic:
xxxxx :p :)

angeldelight
17-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Do you have a folder with all your policies etc inside?

Also a page about yourself and all your certificates if you have any - first aid etc ?

I am going to move this post so you get more response

You also need to have a good look around the forum

Angel xx

miffy
17-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Parents often want to know what sort of things you will be doing with the children so you could tell them about any local groups, parks libraries etc you might visit and what sort of activities you might do at home with them - painting glueing and sticking etc

Get a few toys out when the children come and play with them whilst you chat to the parents - that way mum and dad can see if you are going to get along with their children

Some ask about meals so you could talk about that or have a sample menu to show them

Above all don't try to hard relax and be yourself and you will be just fine

Good luck

Miffy xx

deeb66
17-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi

As Angel says there is lots of information all over the forum which will be of great help to you.

I think one of the most important things when meeting a parent is to be yourself. I know it's not easy and even after 10 years I still sometimes find myself babbling.

Angel has already said about showing the parents your policies and paperwork etc. When they are reading these try to interact with the children. Get on the floor and play with them. As well as all the paperwork a parent likes to see how the child takes to you and how you interact with them.

sarah707
17-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I know it's not easy and even after 10 years I still sometimes find myself babbling.

I babble regularly, especially on the phone... so I've made a quick list of things to mention for myself... hopefully it makes me sound a bit more professional! :D

Monkey1
17-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Great advice! Good luck with the interview!

lollismum
17-02-2008, 09:44 PM
hi every one,
thanks for all the great advice!!!!!
i have got a folder with all my certificates, policies, about me, my fees and hours, etc...........
which i did show the parent.....but i felt really on edge???!!!
dont know if it was because it was the 1st time?
another thing she said was
"so you've got no experience being a childminder?"
i replyed
"well i do have a 9 year old daughter and have worked as a childminders assistant"
was she trying to be funny???
or have i just took it the wrong way???
really sorry for waffling on.
oh and thanks again.xx:p

miffy
17-02-2008, 09:49 PM
It's only natural to be nervous when you first start out and I don't think there was anything wrong with the answer you gave to her question

Are you waiting for this mum to get back to you about care for the 8month old?

Miffy xx

sarah707
17-02-2008, 09:49 PM
another thing she said was
"so you've got no experience being a childminder?"
i replyed
"well i do have a 9 year old daughter and have worked as a childminders assistant"
was she trying to be funny???
or have i just took it the wrong way???

TBH you were probably dead nervous and took it the wrong way - or else she was nervous too and babbling a bit as well... the answer to that one, by the way, is ... 'well I've not managed to drop or lose my 9 year old yet'...! :laughing:

Cheeky Chops
17-02-2008, 09:50 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

!! i cant believe she asked you that!! hehe x x

Rubybubbles
17-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I think It wasn't meant like you've taken it tbh, being a mum is a top quality for being a childminder, so your responce was lovely;)

I still hate interviews, but am lucky as I have a waiting list, so get to know parent well before they start (mainly on a professional basis, but I came really good friend with baby mum I mind now , it's lovely, but he's leaving me in Aug as they are moving:ohdear: :crying: )

lollismum
17-02-2008, 10:34 PM
It's only natural to be nervous when you first start out and I don't think there was anything wrong with the answer you gave to her question

Are you waiting for this mum to get back to you about care for the 8month old?

Miffy xx

hi miffy,
well i dont think she will get back to me........... but she has my number??!
would ideally preffer a full timer under one,
but beggers cant be choosers!!!
thanks hun xx :p

ChocolateChip
21-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi,

You've come to the right place for help, anyway!

The mum might have been nervous aswell, if it's any consolation.
I was lucky that both my new parents I knew, although that was still hard as I was trying to be professional!
It will probably get easier with time- I hope so!
Good luck!
Nikki. :)

chelle
21-02-2008, 08:07 PM
hi, i was exactly the same a few wks ago with my first and i babbled a lot, she also asked me what experience i had and i said looking after my own 4 year old daughter was my experience, we got on really well and the little lad was lovely, but i never got the mindee she phoned me a few days later and said thanks but she was going with another minder i asked if she could tell me why and she said it was only cause that minder lived closer:( ,so i just look at it as experience,:) ,any way better luck next time.:)
chelle.xx:D