PDA

View Full Version : charging over the holiday period - mum trying to reduce fees

newandlearning
27-06-2009, 08:24 AM
oww.. I'm not feeling very supported at the mo with my mindees mum and sometimes I feel a little unempowered as DC1 is fulltime and DC2 is parttime... and because of my own kids ages I can't take on anymore children under 5 at the moment... hence sometimes feel at the rule of my mindee mum.

we did new contracts a month ago and it was my understanding then that I'd have DC1 still full time and DC2 3 days..

now mum has said that maybe the dad may take both of them everyother week one day and the grandma may take another.. which is great as this takes us to 3 days for DC2 but I'd then not be looking after DC1 fulltime..

would you still charge for the days for the fulltimer even when he's not here.. charge halfpay.. I always feel sorry for her and give her money back and let her off these situs but actually this financially impacts on me then and I'm fairly sure she's probably using the tax credit for DC1 to help pay for childcare for DC2...

I don't wanna :censored: her off .. but for some reason I feel really sensitive about asking for my needs to get met..

I've now taken on another DC fulltime over the summer too.. who is paying me a £1 more per hour plus outings money... which is feeling a lot better than my fulltimer...

what would you do about charging..? I don't charge when I'm on holidays..
and feel I should still charge full rate...:panic: :panic:

cherry pink
27-06-2009, 08:44 AM
morning n & l,
what i would do is read the contract carefully again then print it off (again ) and highlight any areas that are relevant
e.g occasional days off = full pay and also highlight the contracted hours and put a little note in or sit her down and explain that the child is taking a full time place and that by paying you that space is always available if dad or grandma cant do it on any given week.otherwise you cannot guarantee being able to have said child when it suits her..

if she's not happy doing that i think i would advertise for another child then give notice.

to many parents our job is only a professional one when they are initially looking for care after that we are only working for pocket money or they think they own us and can dictate what we do.

sorry i sound a bit garbled lol it's sat morning ,hopefully some of the others will be along soon with more input..

slash xx

Daftbat
27-06-2009, 11:16 AM
morning n & l,
what i would do is read the contract carefully again then print it off (again ) and highlight any areas that are relevant
e.g occasional days off = full pay and also highlight the contracted hours and put a little note in or sit her down and explain that the child is taking a full time place and that by paying you that space is always available if dad or grandma cant do it on any given week.otherwise you cannot guarantee being able to have said child when it suits her..

if she's not happy doing that i think i would advertise for another child then give notice.

to many parents our job is only a professional one when they are initially looking for care after that we are only working for pocket money or they think they own us and can dictate what we do.

sorry i sound a bit garbled lol it's sat morning ,hopefully some of the others will be along soon with more input..

slash xx

I think this is a good way forward - she has to realise that her contract actually means something and that she either agrees to it or signs a new one allowing you to fill the other places if need be.

Curly Quavers
27-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I think this is a good way forward - she has to realise that her contract actually means something and that she either agrees to it or signs a new one allowing you to fill the other places if need be.

I agree,

Parents really do need to realise that these contracts do mean a lot and if they sign then they must abide by them at least until review time when discussions can be made.

I have a customer who I want changes made to the contact but I feel I should wait till the agreed review time because that is fair for everybody.

Bushpig
27-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Tell her you cannot afford to have this fluctuation in your wages every month all the time. Imagine if her own boss decided that he didn't need her for two days a week this month, and oh yes, he wouldn't be paying her for that time away either... how would she take it??? :eek:

You need to sit her down as mentioned already, and be frank with her. You are not at her beck and call, you have bills and commitments and need a stable income.

I am flexible with one of my parents, but it's only ONE day a week, plus I charge her £1 an hour more than my other mindees to offer her this flexibility. She knew this coming onboard and it's never been a problem.

The Juggler
27-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Tell her you cannot afford to have this fluctuation in your wages every month all the time. Imagine if her own boss decided that he didn't need her for two days a week this month, and oh yes, he wouldn't be paying her for that time away either... how would she take it??? :eek:

I've used that one a few times in the past. Makes them think but doesn't stop them asking!