PDA

View Full Version : I have taken holidays but then so has parent.

RedDragon
26-06-2009, 02:57 PM
I gave plenty of notice - although it states on Contracts that only 2 weeks needed.

I am taking 2 weeks off.

If I take holiday - no pay
If parent takes time off - full pay

Parent came to me yesterday saying she has booked holiday same week as me.

:angry:

I don't suppose I can say as she is also on holiday now she should really pay me?

Blaze
26-06-2009, 03:00 PM
If this situation happens to me it's 1/2 pay...but I have that written in the contract...as you took holiday first I think it's gonna have to be no pay.:(

~Chelle~
26-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I have just had the same thing, although they never told me about their week until I told them about mine - crafty buggers!

RedDragon
26-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I think you are right :(

Ah well.

RedDragon
26-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I have just had the same thing, although they never told me about their week until I told them about mine - crafty buggers!

I think this may have been the case - possibly.

The thing is I think 2 weeks notice from me leaves them with not much time to find alternative care - if I would have kept my mouth shut :idea:

Blaze
26-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I learnt the hard way too...still you know what to add at contract reveiw time!:rolleyes: :D

RainbowMum
26-06-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm sorry but I dont agree - I charge no fee for my holidays and full for theirs but I fully expect that parents will want to tie in with my time off and I dont grudge them this at all.

deeb66
26-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry but I dont agree - I charge no fee for my holidays and full for theirs but I fully expect that parents will want to tie in with my time off and I dont grudge them this at all.

I have to say that I agree with you Sharon.

It makes sense for the parent to book the same time off surely......well that's my thoughts anyway.

Dee
xx

Blaze
26-06-2009, 03:12 PM
No need to apologise Rainbowmum...we all have our own way of doing things!:)

Alibali
26-06-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't charge if they take the same weeks as me either. Most of my parents try to coincide with me. If i'm not available to work I don't expect any pay. One of the downsides of being self employed.

Blaze
26-06-2009, 03:15 PM
...I think a lot of minders work out their fees thinking it will balance out & often it does not ...hence why I ammended my fees policy/contrcts to half fee if we took holiday at the same time...that way it was fair for all...I wasn't begrudging parnets, but it didn't balance as I expected it to IYSWIM?:)

~Chelle~
26-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Well I wouldnt mind if I didnt give them two weeks hols that they dont have to pay me (dont ask was niave at the time and am going to phase this out in next contract review) and they have already taken these two weeks.

They know that I take a week off in the summer hols, always varies though as to which week and I told mum the week I am taking and she said "that's handy cos I have already booked us a week at a caravan so that will come in handy as I wont have to pay you":mad:

Last year I had to re-arrange my time off as they had used their holiday at work, booking for their holidays and when it come for me to have my 2 weeks off, they had none left! They cheekily asked me to only take one week to help them out!!! :eek:

MissTinkerbell
26-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Same here - I'm not going away as went away earlier in the year so have taken my holiday the same time as my parent to make it easier for her in finding alternative childcare.

Spangles
26-06-2009, 04:25 PM
It wouldn't bother me either. I'm the same full fees for theirs and none for me. If I was the parent I'd try and tie in with the c/m too, it makes economic sense especially with things how they are at the moment.

xx

Twinkles
26-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Most of my parents try to fit in with my holidays and that suits me.

FizzysFriends
26-06-2009, 04:59 PM
If this situation happens to me it's 1/2 pay...but I have that written in the contract...as you took holiday first I think it's gonna have to be no pay.:(

Wont that just mean parents wont tell you they are going on holiday? They don;t have to tell you.

RedDragon
26-06-2009, 05:19 PM
She can't go anyway now as her partner is ill :(

I feel horrible now.

But after reading everyone's posts I have looked at the other side of it and agree, I don't think I should have expected payment.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I have 2 weeks off paid a year and if parents can they will take the same. I also have written in my contract that after this holiday if we both take the same time then half fee applies as this helps both parties.

Roseolivia
27-06-2009, 07:38 AM
My mindees parent is a teacher so i'm off during holidays anyway and charge her half fee. This is when i take my hols so she doesn't have to find alternative care. My other mindee pays same money each month so we both have 4 weeks hols.

singlewiththree
27-06-2009, 12:57 PM
When I used a childminder I tried to book my holidays the same week as her so I didn't have to pay but then she changed her holiday but I had already booked mine and it worked out an expensive holiday for me then :(

kindredspirits
27-06-2009, 03:09 PM
i would try and have a holiday at the same time as a parent if they booked the time off - so its only fair the other way round!! lol

Chimps Childminding
27-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I usually let my parents know at the beginning of the year when I am planning to have my holidays (if at all possible). If they then choose to have theirs the same week fine they don't pay!! if they have them at a different time they pay half!!!:D