PDA

View Full Version : Mindee got out of cot

venus89
26-06-2009, 10:22 AM
My 2 year old mindee just got out of the travel cot for the first time - I went upstairs and found him running around the room! I know there's no way he'll stay in a ready bed or similar so I'm totally stuck what to do with him when it comes to nap time, and he's a child who really really needs a sleep during the day :panic:

grindal
26-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Is there anywhere downstairs you can put the travel cot - then at least if he does get out you will be able to keep a better eye on him?

venus89
26-06-2009, 10:28 AM
No not really. I have a tiny house with a lounge diner so we only have one useable room downstairs (excepting the kitchen, which probably isn't the best place to put him!). Good idea though!

Daftbat
26-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Can you put a small bolt on the outside of the door where the travel cot is used? Then combined with the use of a montior you would hear the child get up and prevent them from running around anywhere which could be a safety risk.

I have used them before when my children were younger to stop my daughter going in to a room where a child was sleeping.

venus89
26-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Can you put a small bolt on the outside of the door where the travel cot is used? Then combined with the use of a montior you would hear the child get up and prevent them from running around anywhere which could be a safety risk.

I have used them before when my children were younger to stop my daughter going in to a room where a child was sleeping.

It's a thought.... the travel cot is in my daughters' bedroom (complete with high sleeper :eek: ). But, the ladders is removable. I guess in theory the accessible bits of the room could be made toddler friendly then even if he is faffing around int he room he's safe and would hopefully eventually settle.

How would Ofsted react to me locking him in a room though?!

Chatterbox Childcare
26-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Mine did this as I left the door ajar and every time he got out I put him back in. It didn't work for long and so I made sure there wasn't anything in the room he could play with and held the door so he couldn't leave the room. he didn't like this as he was bored and tried to climb back in the cot. Now he doesn't try to get out.

Alternatively, what about a buggy?

venus89
26-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Mine did this as I left the door ajar and every time he got out I put him back in. It didn't work for long and so I made sure there wasn't anything in the room he could play with and held the door so he couldn't leave the room. he didn't like this as he was bored and tried to climb back in the cot. Now he doesn't try to get out.

Alternatively, what about a buggy?

Yes - my husband used to do this to my stepdaughter too. The trouble is he's never here on his own - I always have at least one other mindee with me (otherwise I could bung him in the car and drive for 10 minutes and he'd be out like a light).

Buggy is an idea - not sure that he's be very happy with that. He's an exceptionally lively little boy (hence the need to sleep) who is no good at being still at all

Daftbat
26-06-2009, 10:40 AM
It's a thought.... the travel cot is in my daughters' bedroom (complete with high sleeper :eek: ). But, the ladders is removable. I guess in theory the accessible bits of the room could be made toddler friendly then even if he is faffing around int he room he's safe and would hopefully eventually settle.

How would Ofsted react to me locking him in a room though?!

Like most things with Ofsted the key would be to explain fully how you have made the room toddler safe and why you have done it.This is probably only a temporary measure anyway as once the child finds out they can't go anywhere then it will probably stop. A small bolt would not stop anyone in an emergency and put at the right level then it cannot be "accidentally" used by a child to try and lock someone in there.

venus89
26-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Like most things with Ofsted the key would be to explain fully how you have made the room toddler safe and why you have done it.This is probably only a temporary measure anyway as once the child finds out they can't go anywhere then it will probably stop. A small bolt would not stop anyone in an emergency and put at the right level then it cannot be "accidentally" used by a child to try and lock someone in there.

This is true. Especially if I can get mums permission.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes - my husband used to do this to my stepdaughter too. The trouble is he's never here on his own - I always have at least one other mindee with me (otherwise I could bung him in the car and drive for 10 minutes and he'd be out like a light).

Buggy is an idea - not sure that he's be very happy with that. He's an exceptionally lively little boy (hence the need to sleep) who is no good at being still at all

Mine all go down at the same time. What about finding an activity for the other mindee whilst you are doing this? Maybe pretend that they are going to bed too as children do pick up on when others are about.

Louise_Oaktree
26-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I am a fan of pushchairs I'm afraid :blush: Not had 1 mindee settle in a travel cot ever :(

I have an 8 month old who sleeps in a pram and Mum is adamant that he must not be strapped in - yesterday he rolled over and can push himself up on his tummy so from now on the straps go on as I can't watch over him as he would never settle.

I have even had Mum's who say "she'll never settle in a pushchair" or "she doesn't have a daytime nap" and once in a routine they sleep really well.

It also means I don't have to wake them for school run if they oversleep ;)

cuffleygirl
26-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Instead of a bolt (a small one) would a stair gate work? just across the doorway? making sure the room is toddler safe?

Mollymop
26-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned before (didn't read the other posts) but how about putting him in a puchchair reclined back. I have done this with my little ones. One is having her nap right now in the buggy.

Twinkles
26-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I have a tandem double buggy and the front seat folds flat which means the napping child can lay flat and still be strapped in.

venus89
26-06-2009, 12:41 PM
I just don't think he'd settle in a buggy - he's too active. I let him play today until he was shattered and then put him back in the cot but I'm not entirely happy about it - monitor up as loud as can be, keep checking - but he went to sleep no problems. Mum said he slept all night last night which he doesn't normally so when I tried to put him down at his usual time today i guess he just wasn't as tired as normal...... It will do for today but I have a lot of work to do in that room before next week!

I prefer the stairgate idea to the bolt. It has the same effect but a bit less scary connotations.

Louise_Oaktree
26-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I just don't think he'd settle in a buggy - he's too active. I let him play today until he was shattered and then put him back in the cot but I'm not entirely happy about it - monitor up as loud as can be, keep checking - but he went to sleep no problems. Mum said he slept all night last night which he doesn't normally so when I tried to put him down at his usual time today i guess he just wasn't as tired as normal...... It will do for today but I have a lot of work to do in that room before next week!

I prefer the stairgate idea to the bolt. It has the same effect but a bit less scary connotations.

Do you have another room you could use? you could always walk round the block then back home once he's asleep? Don't forget travel cots are soon too small for most children too...

venus89
26-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Do you have another room you could use? you could always walk round the block then back home once he's asleep? Don't forget travel cots are soon too small for most children too...

Sadly not, our house is so small. Maybe I can claim for an extension for the mindees on my tax?!

Daddy Day Care
26-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Going of topic a bit here so I appologise in advance.

Around 2 months ago I woke at about 2.15am to my son screaming, he sometimes wakes up in the night but never screams, I rushed into his room and found him in a heap in the middle of the floor.

Somehow he managed to climb out of his cot whihc he can barely see over. He slepth with us that night couldnt be botherd to put stair gate on at that time in the morning.

Next morning I put a stair gate on and now 2 months on hes never climbed out since. Still to this day have no idea how he got out, if he somehow kicked his blanket to the bottom of cot and stood on that he would have been to small. I even accused my wife of forgetting to put him in the cot, I asked if she put him down whilst tucking our daughter in then forogt to pick him up. She wasnt very happy I suggested this, as you can imagaine but i was stumped.

Since then ive put him in it in the afternoon got all his favourite toys out and elft the room to see if he would climb out, but all he did was cry he couldnt get out. So any ideas of how he got out would be great.

Sorry again for gonig off topic this just reminded me of it

Gareth
xx

michellethegooner
26-06-2009, 03:17 PM
how about using a camera monitor I use these on sleeping babies so I can see and hear them as I too have had mindees climb out of cot, also saves on actually waking baby to check them I had 1 mindee no matter how quietly u tried to sneak in he was awake.

I use 1 like this but I didnt buy it off e-bay a friend passed it on

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-4GHz-Wireless-Camera-Baby-Monitor-Voice-Control_W0QQitemZ250452155956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a501c9e34&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50