PDA

View Full Version : Another unreliable family with two children

yummymummy
17-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I am absolutely cheesed off. I took on a family with two children in November and they are lovely. It was originally for two days a week and just after Christmas I was asked to up to three days in February. Shuffled other child I have to accommodate them and now after one week of three days the mum says she has resigned as it is not worth it financially to her!
Very apologetic but that is no good to me is it? In four weeks time I will be vitually out of work and in my area although I am very experienced there are so many other minders, wraparound care and day nurseries it takes an age to fill vacancies.
This is the second time in two years that this has happened to me. I realise childcare times two is expensive but the choice is theirs isn't it? It seems in both cases that the families were using me on a temporary basis with no intention of working on an ongoing basis but did not have the decency to tell me this so that I could do some forward planning.
I will now be wary of two children families as although they seem the perfect situation (same hours and days) when this happens you really are left in the lurch.
The whole childminding situation in our borough has gotten so bad I am seriously thinking of giving up as I am fed up with all this unreliability.
Phew, got that off my chest so feel a bit better now! I love my job and really feel used although I give 100% effort and time to my job!

miffy
17-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh that's a real shame - do you think she was just going back to work for a minimum time so she didn't have to repay her maternity benefits - I've had that happen before and it is really sickening when you've put so much effort into getting to know the children.

With this mum I don't understand why having moved up from 2 days to 3 days she didn't drop back to 2 days instead of giving in her notice.

I hope you'll be able to get some more work soon. Make sure you get the right amount of notice

Miffy xx

sarah707
17-02-2008, 02:22 PM
It is very hard when this happens...I wish you luck filling your vacancies :D

angeldelight
17-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear that

Hope something else comes along soon - I am sure it will

Angel xx

Monkey1
17-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Chin up babe, these things happen for a reason and i'm sure this means something better round the corner!

tulip0803
17-02-2008, 03:55 PM
What a shame. :( I hope something better turns up

Juliaxx

Mollymop
17-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry to hear your bad news. I hadn't thought about 2 children from the same family before in this way, but like you say if they go you are stuffed especially if they take up alot of space.
Sorry you feel so let down.
Fingers crossed you'll fill those spaces in no time X

ruby
17-02-2008, 05:34 PM
oh i am so sorry hope you fill your spaces soon

cathy and rachel

deeb66
17-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I am really sorry to hear that.

Hopefully you will manage to fill the vacancies soon.....I will keep my fingers crossed.

I have noticed that you are fairly new to the forum.............don't forget to go and introduce yourself in the Say Hello section so that the members can get to know you :D

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
17-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Sorry to hear that hopefully you will fill your spaces soon. I know how you feel I had 2 children from the same family and it was a shock when they decided they didn't want me anymore.

Good luck chin up.

Lorraine xx

yummymummy
17-02-2008, 09:39 PM
It's so lovely to get the responses from you all, although I have childminded a long time I have always had friends with similar aged children so haven't got into the whole childminder group thing so as I'm sure you all know childminding can be quite isolating so it is really refreshing to know it's not just me!
My youngest daughter is in year 6 so it is really make or break for me with childminding. I love the job and think I'm suited to it but in my particular area it is really difficult so I think the decision has been made for me to stay or go. Shame really as I think the parents I have been involved with think I make a positive influence in their childrens' lives. X:blush:

Banana
18-02-2008, 10:49 PM
i am sorry this happened to you.

i will keep my fingers crossed that you fill the spaces again soon

x